User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smoked Top Sirloin

Reading owner's RV tales of woe can get depressing so another camp cooking recipe. I'm batching RVing it while the wife is staying with Her parents for awhile looking into getting them into assisted living. Anyway went to the grocery for myself, meat prices are sure rising but i found a couple smaller top sirloin stakes at a really good price, and smoked them.

Top sirloin, baby potatoes and favorite vegetable and mixed green salad w ranch a couple days ago, then last night leftovers. Tonight beefaroni

My simple stake rub - coating of meat tenderizer, fresh ground pepper and sea salt. I usually use "Cooper's" Old Time Pit BBQ Rub (Texas) but I'm running out until we get back to Texas. They do have shipping available though.

Baby potatoes are great for a quick setup. i sliced them in half, got a sheet of HD aluminum foil to make a foil pocket. Olive oil, fresh ground pepper and sea salt, a little minced garlic and generous slices of butter. Could try adding some bacon to the foil pocket.
    Cooked smoked the stakes using a hard wood blend at 250* for 1 hour, removed the potato foil pocket from the smoker and up the temp to 300* for additional 15 minutes for a more charred bark on the stakes. Fork Juicy Tender! The stakes turned out well done. It sure was good!! next time I'll reduce the cooking time for the stakes to 45 minutes or lower the temp and cook for an hour for a more medium intense Smokey flavor.

Camp cooking sure taste great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2649.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 08-09-2021 at 12:00 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd eat that.
    I love cookin' in the smoker ( Davy Crockett GMG ).

Try this guy's rub. I make a big batch and put it in a few jars. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! I do a lot of smoking of ribs, roasts and turkey, but have nit considered steak. I’ll have to try it!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh boy, talking BBQ could light off an intense discussion like the big 3 trucks. I'll have to try that guys rub recipe though.
    Here is Cooper's web site, we visit there often when we are in Texas, or Rudy's is a pretty good BBQ place also. In fact when our son got married up in Indiana we had Cooper's BBQ shipped up to Indiana all precooked, frozen and packed in dry ice, for the prewedding dinner, just thawed and stuck in oven to heat it up. It was a big hit with the Hoosier's. http://www.coopersbbqllano.com/

With the way grocery prices are, I scour the meat counter looking for bargain's, chicken, beef, pork etc. sometimes you can make a great dinner out of lessor cuts of meat. We all can't eat T-Bones every night.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the regional differences regarding BBQ. I grew up in NYC and BBQ was a verb; if you were cooking on a grill, that was barbecue. Now a long time resident of North Carolina, BBQ is a very specific dish, pulled pork. Even the variation across North Carolina is extremely different. In the Eastern part of the state, BBQ (pulled pork) is finished with a vinegar base sauce. In the Western part of the state (Greensboro is the dividing line), it is a tomato based sauce.

I know the variations continue from state to state and it is fun to try the local variation where ever you are. Thanks for sharing!
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks delicious!

I like to smoke steaks in my Masterbuilt smoker, then sear them in a cast iron pan.

Yum!
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    oh boy, talking BBQ could light off an intense discussion like the big 3 trucks. I'll have to try that guys rub recipe though.
    Here is Cooper's web site, we visit there often when we are in Texas, or Rudy's is a pretty good BBQ place also. In fact when our son got married up in Indiana we had Cooper's BBQ shipped up to Indiana all precooked, frozen and packed in dry ice, for the prewedding dinner, just thawed and stuck in oven to heat it up. It was a big hit with the Hoosier's. http://www.coopersbbqllano.com/

With the way grocery prices are, I scour the meat counter looking for bargain's, chicken, beef, pork etc. sometimes you can make a great dinner out of lessor cuts of meat. We all can't eat T-Bones every night.
    I have had good luck buying bigger cuts of meat at US Foods. HERE is a link to the locations.
    I will buy a 15lb. pork shoulder and cut it into 3 chunks. Freeze 2 and smoke 1 in my Davy Crocker GMG. KEN

Whole chicken with a bacon wrap
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I have had good luck buying bigger cuts of meat at US Foods. HERE is a link to the locations.
    I will buy a 15lb. pork shoulder and cut it into 3 chunks. Freeze 2 and smoke 1 in my Davy Crocker GMG. KEN

The chicken loooks great. Are you buying a bone in pork shoulder and cutting around the bone or do they sell one deboned?
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    The chicken loooks great. Are you buying a bone in pork shoulder and cutting around the bone or do they sell one deboned?
    IBP BONELESS PORK SHOULDER BUTTS
    $2.39 / lb today on their website

KEN
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post

Please share your recipe for both that chicken bacon wrap and pork.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast