User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Rob, don't the Timbrens and MorRyde both use rubber for their compression?

Timbrens:
    Attachment 31055

MorRyde:
    Attachment 31056

Actually the Dexter TorFlex seems to use a similar principle as well:
    Attachment 31057
    You are correct in that all three are trailing link geometry. You are also correct that the MORryde and Timbrens systems both use rubber for springs. However, the Timbrens compress the rubber while the MORryde system uses a shear spring application. Shear force is defined as, "unaligned forces pushing one part of a body in one specific direction, and another part of the body in the opposite direction." The TorFlex, of course, uses a metal torsion bar for the spring action (as indicated in the product's name). Regardless of how the spring force is derived, all three use the trailing link to mount the spindle and, as a result, all three qualify as independent suspension.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTN View Post
    I noticed the same thing after putting the Sailuns on our 337RLS. Using the air pressure vs. load info from Sailun I dropped the pressure to 80 psi. No more crazy bouncing. We have a little over 4000 miles on the tires at the lower pressure and the wear patterns, sidewalls and so on all look perfect.
    This is it. No experience to speak of with the rv, but on boats, you need to set the pressure to your weight.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for clearing that up! I've been trying to figure out what the differences were between the systems. I know MorRyde is the Cadillac option, but right now I'm thinking the Timbrens or Dexter TorFlex options might be quite a bit less $$$.

Do the 3 systems still use shock absorbers or are they relying solely on the rubber/torsion bar? It seems a shock based system would offer far more dampening.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    You are correct in that all three are trailing link geometry. You are also correct that the MORryde and Timbrens systems both use rubber for springs. However, the Timbrens compress the rubber while the MORryde system uses a shear spring application. Shear force is defined as, "unaligned forces pushing one part of a body in one specific direction, and another part of the body in the opposite direction." The TorFlex, of course, uses a metal torsion bar for the spring action (as indicated in the product's name). Regardless of how the spring force is derived, all three use the trailing link to mount the spindle and, as a result, all three qualify as independent suspension.

Rob
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for clearing that up! I've been trying to figure out what the differences were between the systems. I know MorRyde is the Cadillac option, but right now I'm thinking the Timbrens or Dexter TorFlex options might be quite a bit less $$$.

Do the 3 systems still use shock absorbers or are they relying solely on the rubber/torsion bar? It seems a shock based system would offer far more dampening.
    MORryde uses a shock absorber on each wheel. Looking at the web site, I don't see a shock on the HD versions of the Timbrens (which are $998 per "axle" and require a sub-frame fabrication). I don't see a shock option on the TorFlex, either - but you would have to check with both Timbren and Dexter to confirm this. Of the three, the TorFlex appears to have the least suspension travel. I'm not sure how much less expensive the alternative systems would be once you figure in brakes and labor, though.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'm going to want to make sure there are shock absorbers. It's just logical to have the extra dampening. Suspension travel is important as I would like to take the fiver down some mild fire trails. Maybe I'l talk the wife into visiting Indiana lol!

MORryde uses a shock absorber on each wheel. Looking at the web site, I don't see a shock on the HD versions of the Timbrens (which are $998 per "axle" and require a sub-frame fabrication). I don't see a shock option on the TorFlex, either - but you would have to check with both Timbren and Dexter to confirm this. Of the three, the TorFlex appears to have the least suspension travel. I'm not sure how much less expensive the alternative systems would be once you figure in brakes and labor, though.

Rob

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'm going to want to make sure there are shock absorbers. It's just logical to have the extra dampening. Suspension travel is important as I would like to take the fiver down some mild fire trails. Maybe I'l talk the wife into visiting Indiana lol!
    There's a MORryde-authorized installation center in Oregon... but I hear they charge more (might be because those units are HEAVY to ship from Indiana!).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Henderson's up in Grant's Pass. I read on the Facebook forum that someone inquired and was told it would be over $10k! Yikes!

There's a MORryde-authorized installation center in Oregon... but I hear they charge more (might be because those units are HEAVY to ship from Indiana!).

Rob

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After installing the Sailun ST637 tires, I've notice the trailer bounces much more going down the road. It's so bad that I'm worried that the wear will hasten the demise of this stapled together trailer. I'm also thinking about install some 20" wheels and 35x12.5R20 tires to replace the hard riding, poor handling Continential HD2 commercial tires on my F450. I also want to install the Carli Back Country suspension, which is a front levelling lift of 2.5". This lift only affect the front, not the rear. The result will be a bed height increase of about 2". However when the truck is loaded with the trailer, I'll probably be a bit nose high, so some airbags or Timbrens bump stops on the rear axle might be in order.

Right now I have about 8" of clearance between the bedrails of the truck and the underside of the fiver. If I raise the truck 1.5 inches, I'm thinking I can move the bolts on the pinbox higher to make up the difference and still have 6" of clearance to the bedrails, although that makes me kind of nervous.

On the trailer suspension front, it seems like my choices are to either use the Lippert approved and sourced 2" lift kit, or go with a Roadmaster, MorRyde, or Timbren suspension system. The Lippert 2" lift kit is the simplest, but it would do nothing for the harshness of the ride.

The Roadmaster system with the shocks seems like it should do a really good job of dampening the road irregularities. However it does not raise the suspension. I don't know if it can be made to work with the Lippert 2" lift. It's also the best bang for the buck.

The Timbren suspension is about halfway in terms of cost between the Roadmaster and the MorRyde. It also seems like a well thought out system. I removes the axles from the equation entirely which is good for clearance. I have no idea how much dampening it offers relative to the Roadmaster and MorRyde. One bonus of this system is it raises your suspension by 2", which would be perfect for my truck wheels and lift.

The MorRyde system seems to be the Cadillac of suspension systems. It's the most costly at about $7k, and probably requires a trip to Indiana. MorRyde supposedly can set the suspension at whatever lift level I want.

So does anyone have experience with these, especially with a very mild truck lift? Recommendations?
    Regarding the Sailun tires. Have you checked the weight rating table on Sailuns web page. We had Sailun tires on our Reflection that only required about 75psi. On our solitude one side is 100 and the other is 115. Ofcourse you'll have to have your trailer weighed somewhere.
    Regarding the F450 tires. If you don't want to have to buy new rims, and you have the 19.5 rims. Look at Cooper Roadmasters. You'll have to look at Coopers commercial tires website. I got the more aggressive tread on all 6 wheels and really like them. I have the wheels balanced and run balancers all around, rotate all six tires (4 off rim changes) every 8-10,000 miles and currently have 20500 miles on them and just a little past half gone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I'll take a look!

My Sailuns are at about 90 psi. I suspect they could be run at a lower pressure. The inflation table shows "single" or "dual". My trailer has dual axles but in single configuration for each axle. So should I use the single or dual pressure?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sailun Load Inflation Table.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	31059

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Regarding the Sailun tires. Have you checked the weight rating table on Sailuns web page. We had Sailun tires on our Reflection that only required about 75psi. On our solitude one side is 100 and the other is 115. Ofcourse you'll have to have your trailer weighed somewhere.
    Regarding the F450 tires. If you don't want to have to buy new rims, and you have the 19.5 rims. Look at Cooper Roadmasters. You'll have to look at Coopers commercial tires website. I got the more aggressive tread on all 6 wheels and really like them. I have the wheels balanced and run balancers all around, rotate all six tires (4 off rim changes) every 8-10,000 miles and currently have 20500 miles on them and just a little past half gone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sailun ST Load Inflation Chart.pdf  
    Last edited by TheLexx; 12-10-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I'll take a look!

My Sailuns are at about 90 psi. I suspect they could be run at a lower pressure. The inflation table shows "single" or "dual". My trailer has dual axles but in single configuration for each axle. So should I use the single or dual pressure?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sailun Load Inflation Table.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	31059
    You use the single colunm. Dual is for dual wheels like on a DRW truck.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast