User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspension system enhancements

After installing the Sailun ST637 tires, I've notice the trailer bounces much more going down the road. It's so bad that I'm worried that the wear will hasten the demise of this stapled together trailer. I'm also thinking about install some 20" wheels and 35x12.5R20 tires to replace the hard riding, poor handling Continential HD2 commercial tires on my F450. I also want to install the Carli Back Country suspension, which is a front levelling lift of 2.5". This lift only affect the front, not the rear. The result will be a bed height increase of about 2". However when the truck is loaded with the trailer, I'll probably be a bit nose high, so some airbags or Timbrens bump stops on the rear axle might be in order.

Right now I have about 8" of clearance between the bedrails of the truck and the underside of the fiver. If I raise the truck 1.5 inches, I'm thinking I can move the bolts on the pinbox higher to make up the difference and still have 6" of clearance to the bedrails, although that makes me kind of nervous.

On the trailer suspension front, it seems like my choices are to either use the Lippert approved and sourced 2" lift kit, or go with a Roadmaster, MorRyde, or Timbren suspension system. The Lippert 2" lift kit is the simplest, but it would do nothing for the harshness of the ride.

The Roadmaster system with the shocks seems like it should do a really good job of dampening the road irregularities. However it does not raise the suspension. I don't know if it can be made to work with the Lippert 2" lift. It's also the best bang for the buck.

The Timbren suspension is about halfway in terms of cost between the Roadmaster and the MorRyde. It also seems like a well thought out system. I removes the axles from the equation entirely which is good for clearance. I have no idea how much dampening it offers relative to the Roadmaster and MorRyde. One bonus of this system is it raises your suspension by 2", which would be perfect for my truck wheels and lift.

The MorRyde system seems to be the Cadillac of suspension systems. It's the most costly at about $7k, and probably requires a trip to Indiana. MorRyde supposedly can set the suspension at whatever lift level I want.

So does anyone have experience with these, especially with a very mild truck lift? Recommendations?
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have played and played with my suspension settings. Air bags and Rancho 9000 shocks on the truck, MorRyde SRE4000 on the trailer.

All help. The shocks were a great help reducing the truck bounce; I run them on the firmest setting when towing.

The air bags help level the truck and I have learned I have to keep the top overload springs from being engaged; if I just load the RV on the truck the top overload springs are almost engaged and I think when I hit a bump it just makes the whole mash-up bounce as the overload springs get engaged and push back. Using the air bags to lift the truck a bit to get further away those overloads helps - considerably.

On my last trip I went from the max PSI of 110psi on my tires (Sailun ST235-80R16 G) to 95psi and it had a good effect of reducing the bounce. I was surprised at the difference. You'd have to weight you rig to figure out what air pressure you might want.

I'll be putting Sumo springs on the trailer soon and if that doesn't help, MorRyde IS here I come.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also hoping to be able to take the trailer slightly off-road down some easy fire trails. So every last bit of suspension compliance will help. By all accounts the Carli tuned Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks should significantly soften up the impact harshness of the oem shocks. Also Carli makes torsion arms for the front sway bar that significantly reduces the impact harshness of a stiff sway bar.
    http://www.cjcoffroad.com/Carli-2017...c20-17-450.htm

Because I tow a fifth wheel, CJC recommends I retain the rear oem leaf springs, but add the Timbren bump stops or airbags to make up for the softer shock valving. Deaver does make leaf springs with more leafs (less stiffness per leaf) but towing a fifth wheel is not a great application for that.

Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I have played and played with my suspension settings. Air bags and Rancho 9000 shocks on the truck, MorRyde SRE4000 on the trailer.

All help. The shocks were a great help reducing the truck bounce; I run them on the firmest setting when towing.

The air bags help level the truck and I have learned I have to keep the top overload springs from being engaged; if I just load the RV on the truck the top overload springs are almost engaged and I think when I hit a bump it just makes the whole mash-up bounce as the overload springs get engaged and push back. Using the air bags to lift the truck a bit to get further away those overloads helps - considerably.

On my last trip I went from the max PSI of 110psi on my tires (Sailun ST235-80R16 G) to 95psi and it had a good effect of reducing the bounce. I was surprised at the difference. You'd have to weight you rig to figure out what air pressure you might want.

I'll be putting Sumo springs on the trailer soon and if that doesn't help, MorRyde IS here I come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed the same thing after putting the Sailuns on our 337RLS. Using the air pressure vs. load info from Sailun I dropped the pressure to 80 psi. No more crazy bouncing. We have a little over 4000 miles on the tires at the lower pressure and the wear patterns, sidewalls and so on all look perfect.
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTN View Post
    I noticed the same thing after putting the Sailuns on our 337RLS. Using the air pressure vs. load info from Sailun I dropped the pressure to 80 psi. No more crazy bouncing. We have a little over 4000 miles on the tires at the lower pressure and the wear patterns, sidewalls and so on all look perfect.
    This^^.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTN View Post
    Sounds like I need to lower the PSI from 95 to 80 then.

I still think I'm going to need more suspension compliance going down fire trails however. I've emailed eTrailer for their opinion on the Roadmaster system, and if it can be combined with the Lippert lift kit.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    After installing the Sailun ST637 tires, I've notice the trailer bounces much more going down the road. It's so bad that I'm worried that the wear will hasten the demise of this stapled together trailer. I'm also thinking about install some 20" wheels and 35x12.5R20 tires to replace the hard riding, poor handling Continential HD2 commercial tires on my F450. I also want to install the Carli Back Country suspension, which is a front levelling lift of 2.5". This lift only affect the front, not the rear. The result will be a bed height increase of about 2". However when the truck is loaded with the trailer, I'll probably be a bit nose high, so some airbags or Timbrens bump stops on the rear axle might be in order.

Right now I have about 8" of clearance between the bedrails of the truck and the underside of the fiver. If I raise the truck 1.5 inches, I'm thinking I can move the bolts on the pinbox higher to make up the difference and still have 6" of clearance to the bedrails, although that makes me kind of nervous.

On the trailer suspension front, it seems like my choices are to either use the Lippert approved and sourced 2" lift kit, or go with a Roadmaster, MorRyde, or Timbren suspension system. The Lippert 2" lift kit is the simplest, but it would do nothing for the harshness of the ride.

The Roadmaster system with the shocks seems like it should do a really good job of dampening the road irregularities. However it does not raise the suspension. I don't know if it can be made to work with the Lippert 2" lift. It's also the best bang for the buck.

The Timbren suspension is about halfway in terms of cost between the Roadmaster and the MorRyde. It also seems like a well thought out system. I removes the axles from the equation entirely which is good for clearance. I have no idea how much dampening it offers relative to the Roadmaster and MorRyde. One bonus of this system is it raises your suspension by 2", which would be perfect for my truck wheels and lift.

The MorRyde system seems to be the Cadillac of suspension systems. It's the most costly at about $7k, and probably requires a trip to Indiana. MorRyde supposedly can set the suspension at whatever lift level I want.

So does anyone have experience with these, especially with a very mild truck lift? Recommendations?
    We did this....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27AED165-51F6-497C-A48A-59629CEB7F95.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	31020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3EAFCFD4-CF2B-4FF5-9CE8-10739AC78946.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	31021. 3.5 in lift with the Roadmaster system. VERY happy. Not any of the bounce as before.
    2019 F350 CCLB 6.7
    2020 Reflection 268BH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet! How did you get a 3.5" lift with the Roadmaster suspension? Is that part of the Roadmaster kit or did you use something separate to lift the trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by 2019SD View Post
    We did this....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27AED165-51F6-497C-A48A-59629CEB7F95.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	31020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3EAFCFD4-CF2B-4FF5-9CE8-10739AC78946.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	31021. 3.5 in lift with the Roadmaster system. VERY happy. Not any of the bounce as before.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have installed the RoadMaster shocks without the rest of the RoadMaster suspension system change. I am very pleased with the results, it was the single best thing I did to dampen the trailer movement and to improve the ride in the cab of the truck. The location of the upper shock mounts is variable based on where you drill the holes, so I THINK you would be O.K. if you installed it with the 2" lift. Please note though that I didn't measure this, it is only based on my recollection of the installation process.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Sweet! How did you get a 3.5" lift with the Roadmaster suspension? Is that part of the Roadmaster kit or did you use something separate to lift the trailer?
    I was looking for the best way to level out the truck/trailer combo and the shop here was very well reviewed and commented on. The owner came out with a tape measure and made a lot of measurements while hooked up. My 2019 F350 is not lifted but has 35’s on it so we wanted the trailer to ride level. He said we easily could go to a 5 inch lift but I did not want to go that high. 3.5 was the magic number and the heavy steel he used was great. I only had those two pictures to post but could get some more with additional detail if needed.
    2019 F350 CCLB 6.7
    2020 Reflection 268BH

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast