User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

311BHS and short bed 2500 Cummins

Hi. Looking forward our third RV and first fifth wheel. If I’m getting a 311BHS and my Ram has the 6 1/2’ bed, I’m assuming I need a slider hitch right? If so manual or automatic? Which does everyone prefer? Thanks for any input!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have use a goosebox on our 311 and pull it with our 3500 megacab short bed and though I can’t go more than 75° I’m ok with that. Lots of good options out there for ya. Congrats on the new trailer too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply! What are the advantages to a goosebox over a standard hitch? Is this something the dealer would install in place of a traditional 5th wheel hitch?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponderous View Post
    Thanks for the reply! What are the advantages to a goosebox over a standard hitch? Is this something the dealer would install in place of a traditional 5th wheel hitch?
    For me there are a few advantages. Be warned hitch choice is almost as contested as truck brands haha. But here are a few for me.

The simplicity of having a ball and gooseneck coupler. Not that a 5th wheel hitch is complicated but the fact we have a single ball / chain connections in the bed makes it one and done. We have had many hitches in the past and I grew tired of not having bed space and pulling them in and out and now it takes me 2 seconds. Another reason is the goosebox has an airbag in it and that has been amazing on terrible roads where we once had chucking. Now there are other hitches and kingpin options out there but they are very costly so for us the bang for the buck the goosebox was the win for us.
    So really it’s a good unit and my only thing that’s less than desirable is the fact you may have to pump up the bag occasionally but that’s not terrible. And the fact we won’t be able to go full 90 but when we had our previous slider we didn’t then either. We carry Viair on board so we always have a way to tend to inflation needs on the road (tires or anything else).

Anyway hope this helps.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an automatic slider and love it. I will tell you these are very heavy hitches. Mine weights about 200lbs. Remember the weight of the hitch adds to your total weight, weight on the rear axle, and takes away from your payload. So, in your case, since you should be concerned about payload, I would go with a manual slider.

I don't know enough about goosenecks, other than I have heard/read that there are some concerns with equipping a 5th wheel with gooseneck. From what I've read, certain equipment and certain pinboxes required or warranty could be voided. Perhaps NordicNews or others can expound on that.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the Anderson hitch with our shortbed-equipped truck. Whilst it still takes up a bit of space in the bed, the total weight (including the required gooseball) is around 40 pounds. Makes it really easy to dismount and store.
    Pam and Doug
    2017 F350 (the Dragon) with 2015 GD Ref 337RLS (the Dragon's Tail)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

311BHS and short bed 2500 Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    I have an automatic slider and love it. I will tell you these are very heavy hitches. Mine weights about 200lbs. Remember the weight of the hitch adds to your total weight, weight on the rear axle, and takes away from your payload. So, in your case, since you should be concerned about payload, I would go with a manual slider.

I don't know enough about goosenecks, other than I have heard/read that there are some concerns with equipping a 5th wheel with gooseneck. From what I've read, certain equipment and certain pinboxes required or warranty could be voided. Perhaps NordicNews or others can expound on that.

Mike
    Good points mike. The auto sliders are fantastic and a good worry free option but you’re right about the weight. With the 311 + that slider on a 2500 night push you past where you’re comfortable.

So the goosebox is actually the only gooseneck like pinbox approved by Lippert industries. That’s the only reason why we got this set up as you’re correct the conventional bolt on gooseneck options are hard on trailers.