User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    If you want to take a larger loop around Boston that's a little less stressful, consider 495.
    I would definitely take 495 around Boston. Note that 495 can still be very busy during rush hour, so try to avoid being anywhere near Boston at those times.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going through R.I. 295 is a better move. Just about all road work is done lots of new Pavement and As Orbsah said Pick your time.
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to travel from North Carolina back to my home in the Poconos (PA) on a regular basis, and have also been to and through NYC. I wouldn't tow on I-95 or tow through NYC unless I absolutely had to.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I live out on Long Island I have towed our trailer on I-95 through New York City many many times, so I thought that I'd throw in my 2 cents here. I would agree with what most have said, that I-95 is a horrible road, because it is. Not only is it way under designed (not enough lanes), but it also has terrible road surface. The pavement is essentially a collection of pot hole repairs. Having said all that, it's not impossible to get through with a trailer. It all depends upon what time you make the attempt. We never attempt to take I-95 thru NYC Monday thru Friday, unless we are traveling later at night (9 PM or later) or before 6 AM in the morning. We made this mistake once and it took us 4 hours to drive about 6 miles from the George Washington bridge to the 295 exit for the Throgs Neck Bridge. There wasn't an accident or any issues, it was just the traffic volume. Unfortunately it's our only viable option to get home (Thank-You NY State!). You can usually get through on Saturday, but there will be some traffic. Sunday is almost always best day to travel I-95 thru NYC. If we are forced to travel south during the busy times (Monday-Friday) I will usually opt to cross the Hudson River using the Mario Cuomo Bridge (the old Tappan Zee bridge) even though it can add 40 miles to the trip.

If you choose to take I-95 thru NYC remember when you are crossing the George Washington bridge towing a trailer you must always take the upper level in both directions. When heading North you need to watch the signs closely directing you to the upper level. When heading south on I-95 to the GWB you will need get into the middle or left lanes when you get within a mile or more from the bridge. These two lanes will lead you to the upper level without any fuss, but make sure to read the signs just the same. If you need fuel its best to get in NJ or CT. There are rest stops all along I-95 in both states, but not in NY. Lastly, be advised that there is a lot of construction on I-95 near the CT/NY border with a lot of lane shifts, very tight lanes, concrete barriers and sometimes lane closures. Its just my opinion, but if I were you. I'd take the 287 and cross the Hudson using the Mario Como bridge. Then continue on 287 to 684. Take 684 north Rt 84 and stay on that until 90. I would not get back on I-95 until in Massachusetts. Also, try to avoid getting on any road called a "Parkway". These are generally reserved for cars and have a lot of low bridges.

If you need any more info, just ask. I hope this helps.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey beerbrewer, this helps tremendously, very much appreciate the insights. After all of the great feedback, we're gonna' avoid I-95 through NYC. We'll be traveling Washington DC to Bar Harbor and just looking to avoid crowded routes. From Bar Harbor we're west to Vermont and then Niagara Falls before heading home to Iowa. Great advice, thanks again.
    Dave & Sherri
    2020 Imagine 2250RK
    2014 F-150 Eco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC to Maine

Quote Originally Posted by DSM Traveler View Post
    Hey beerbrewer, this helps tremendously, very much appreciate the insights. After all of the great feedback, we're gonna' avoid I-95 through NYC. We'll be traveling Washington DC to Bar Harbor and just looking to avoid crowded routes. From Bar Harbor we're west to Vermont and then Niagara Falls before heading home to Iowa. Great advice, thanks again.
    The propane restrictions you will hit first will be the tunnels in Baltimore. No propane tanks are allowed through either one of them. It is the most poorly marked prohibition on your route and people miss it all the time.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/propane.html

Take the Key Bridge (tolls) I-695E to get back on I-95 North.

However, I would suggest I-695W (not tolls) to I-83 North to PA and onto I-81N to follow the route others have mentioned. I drive frequently to NY and this is by far my preferred route. I used to live outside of Baltimore, right alongside I-95, and still took the I-81 route as a default. Just try to avoid 695/83 at rush hour. There is also some minor construction taking place on this route. Towed through it Thanksgiving weekend with no issues.

I-81N to I-84E to I-90E and back to 495-95N in Massachusetts is the way I go and would recommend.
    Last edited by SleepsInLakes; 12-12-2020 at 03:51 PM.
    Bruce and Lynn - South Central PA
    2016 F-350 Lariat Crew - 6.7L PS, 4WD, SRW, LWB
    B & W Companion
    2019 Relection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoid NYC at all costs while towing!

Having lived in and around NYC for some 40 years (not any more!) I would say don't even think about driving a TT or 5th wheel over the George Washington Bridge. Worse yet, as others have said, I-95 through The Bronx (the northernmost county making up NYC) is a disaster of semi-repaired pot holes all the way through, on sharp-curve lanes that feel like they are about 7 feet wide! And although it gets better in CT, it is still a serious problem due to extreme traffic. Before 6 AM or after 10 PM, maybe! Check your map apps for traffic status. Take I-87 from the Turnpike to get around NYC and decide on which bridge to take north of the city.

We usually take the former Tappan Zee (now Cuomo bridge) even if we are crossing the Hudson River driving a car. But we might go all the way up to I-84 depending on our starting point and destination.

Most of those roads were designed in the 1950s when there was far less traffic than today.

Good luck!
    2019 Imagine 2970RL 34' Travel Trailer, pulled by 2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Diesel.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good advice

Quote Originally Posted by rjnava View Post
    Having lived in and around NYC for some 40 years (not any more!) I would say don't even think about driving a TT or 5th wheel over the George Washington Bridge. Worse yet, as others have said, I-95 through The Bronx (the northernmost county making up NYC) is a disaster of semi-repaired pot holes all the way through, on sharp-curve lanes that feel like they are about 7 feet wide! And although it gets better in CT, it is still a serious problem due to extreme traffic. Before 6 AM or after 10 PM, maybe! Check your map apps for traffic status. Take I-87 from the Turnpike to get around NYC and decide on which bridge to take north of the city.

We usually take the former Tappan Zee (now Cuomo bridge) even if we are crossing the Hudson River driving a car. But we might go all the way up to I-84 depending on our starting point and destination.

Most of those roads were designed in the 1950s when there was far less traffic than today.

Good luck!
    I drove 18 wheelers all along I 95 for 18 years. Don't drive an RV through this area if you don't have to. It's simply too dangerous for the non professional RV driver. 2.5 million safe driving miles gives me the expertise to unequivocally write this as fact.
    Tim & Debra
    2015 RAM 3500, SRW, 4x4, 6.7, Air bags, 18k Demco Auto Slider
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 26RLS, 16" Goodyear Endurance Tires,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live outside Boston and we just drove to FL for Thanksgiving. Agree with what others said. The 78/287/684/84/90 route is best. The Tappen Zee/Cuomo bridge toll on 287 isn’t that bad. There is some construction on 78 with narrow lanes and Jersey barriers on both sides.

With COVID traffic around Boston has been and still is down significantly, so you won’t hit much traffic even closer to rush hour if you decide to take the Pike (I-90) all the way to I95. Just a heads up that I90 is cashless now and so if you don’t have EZ Pass they’ll just mail you a bill.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=SleepsInLakes;335368]The propane restrictions you will hit first will be the tunnels in Baltimore. No propane tanks are allowed through either one of them. It is the most poorly marked prohibition on your route and people miss it all the time.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/propane.html

Just read the passage on propane tanks from your post. It states 10 lbs per container max of 10 containers which would be 100 lbs of propane. Sounds like 2 30lbs tanks would keep you under this limit and make it legal. Usually, the road signs talking about hazardous materials refer to commercial haulers due to the amount of the material. Do you have any official word on whether the limit in NY is for commercial or does it apply to RV's also?
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast