User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Infrared thermometers

Has anyone had any experience with these on fifth wheel wheel bearings, siggedtiins and types would be greatly appreciated

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used one for about 15 years for all things towing. I shoot tire tread and hubs at every fuel stop

I use a Raytek but most any on the $50-75 range are worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto what @elkaholic said. They are useful for other things around the RV, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with all the above. Mine is from Harbor Freight and have had it for years and works great. Regarding uses.... keep it away from your wife. I found mine tucked away in a kitchen drawer, apparently she uses it to determine stove top and oven temps when cooking. I couldn't get to upset as she is a great cook and does most of the cooking.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I even used mine to check the surface of my Blackstone grill and to find any “hot” spots. Worked great. Since the Blackstone doesn’t have any way to tell you what the actual temp of the grill is, this works very well. I asked my wife what temp to cook bacon and eggs, as she uses an electric griddle at home. She gave me the temp, and I just dialed it in on the Blackstone.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    I even used mine to check the surface of my Blackstone grill and to find any “hot” spots. Worked great. Since the Blackstone doesn’t have any way to tell you what the actual temp of the grill is, this works very well. I asked my wife what temp to cook bacon and eggs, as she uses an electric griddle at home. She gave me the temp, and I just dialed it in on the Blackstone.
    Thank you all for your responses
    Jimmy

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a "Generic" (read cheap) one that lasted for a couple of years. When I searched Amazon for a replacement, I could not figure out which one was better than the other, so, I wound up buying a GB brand at Home Depot, I found it with the Electricians tools. I figured that the GB is a brand used by Professional Electricians and they would have at least tested it for durability.

So far, I am happy with the GB from Home Depot.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
    I have used one for about 15 years for all things towing. I shoot tire tread and hubs at every fuel stop

I use a Raytek but most any on the $50-75 range are worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've used a Raytek MT6 for 12 years. Great tool. It was a lot cheaper back then. I feel a less expensive unit would work as well if it will last.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Raytek that is almost 20 years old and still works fine. It's great for troubleshooting engine problems, A/C and heat system problems, etc.
    But I still check my wheel bearings manually by touching them all.
    I guess old habits die hard.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Callahan View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with these on fifth wheel bearings, suggestions and types would be greatly appreciated
    My wife and I lost an RV because we had not used such a device. Several years ago while traveling from NC to the midwest, we spend a long lot weekend in a truck stop with our RV on jacks after the mobile unit had cut off the axle for repairs. Since then, I am very concerned with bearings. If there is one thing that can destroy a trip, it is a bearing burn out that went unchecked. I am not sure how that wheel remained on our camper. The metal had melted away. The axle could not be repaired and it was going to take Dexter several weeks to build us an axle and freight it to our location. So nine years ago, we came home with a different RV. A significant cost in that trade-in. Now my wife and I check the temp between two of the bolts on each wheel every time we stop for gas, rest stop, or campground. We keep track of each wheel's temp and carry a set of bearings/seals. If one wheel is running much hotter than the other three, I can change the bearing before I lose my RV. We also run a tire minder for air pressure..but that does not check the bearings. Keeping a record will give you insight into the temps of the bearing area and temp of the day. For example, if I am traveling for many miles with the sun hitting one side of the RV vs the other, the side with the sun will register a higher temp on the bearing area than the other side. After years of doing this, we can almost guess what the bearing area (space between two lug bolts) will be based on outside temp, sun or no sun, etc. There will be a range of variance on the wheels, but that is not the concern. The concern is when I have one wheel running significantly hotter than the wheel on the same side. The tire minder helps we keep track of the air pressure to avoid a blowout due to a slow leak. By the time the air in the wheel is reflecting a significant hot temp, the damage by the bearing causing that heat may be too late.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast