User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for you

Thanks for the information, question for you what kind of infrared detector are you using? Been looking at all kinds of them and am trying to narrow down the files before I purchase

QUOTE=terryriddle;337321]My wife and I lost an RV because we had not used such a device. Several years ago while traveling from NC to the midwest, we spend a long lot weekend in a truck stop with our RV on jacks after the mobile unit had cut off the axle for repairs. Since then, I am very concerned with bearings. If there is one thing that can destroy a trip, it is a bearing burn out that went unchecked. I am not sure how that wheel remained on our camper. The metal had melted away. The axle could not be repaired and it was going to take Dexter several weeks to build us an axle and freight it to our location. So nine years ago, we came home with a different RV. A significant cost in that trade-in. Now my wife and I check the temp between two of the bolts on each wheel every time we stop for gas, rest stop, or campground. We keep track of each wheel's temp and carry a set of bearings/seals. If one wheel is running much hotter than the other three, I can change the bearing before I lose my RV. We also run a tire minder for air pressure..but that does not check the bearings. Keeping a record will give you insight into the temps of the bearing area and temp of the day. For example, if I am traveling for many miles with the sun hitting one side of the RV vs the other, the side with the sun will register a higher temp on the bearing area than the other side. After years of doing this, we can almost guess what the bearing area (space between two lug bolts) will be based on outside temp, sun or no sun, etc. There will be a range of variance on the wheels, but that is not the concern. The concern is when I have one wheel running significantly hotter than the wheel on the same side. The tire minder helps we keep track of the air pressure to avoid a blowout due to a slow leak. By the time the air in the wheel is reflecting a significant hot temp, the damage by the bearing causing that heat may be too late.[/QUOTE]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Callahan View Post
    Thanks for the information, question for you what kind of infrared detector are you using? Been looking at all kinds of them and am trying to narrow down the files before I purchase

QUOTE=terryriddle;337321]My wife and I lost an RV because we had not used such a device. Several years ago while traveling from NC to the midwest, we spend a long lot weekend in a truck stop with our RV on jacks after the mobile unit had cut off the axle for repairs. Since then, I am very concerned with bearings. If there is one thing that can destroy a trip, it is a bearing burn out that went unchecked. I am not sure how that wheel remained on our camper. The metal had melted away. The axle could not be repaired and it was going to take Dexter several weeks to build us an axle and freight it to our location. So nine years ago, we came home with a different RV. A significant cost in that trade-in. Now my wife and I check the temp between two of the bolts on each wheel every time we stop for gas, rest stop, or campground. We keep track of each wheel's temp and carry a set of bearings/seals. If one wheel is running much hotter than the other three, I can change the bearing before I lose my RV. We also run a tire minder for air pressure..but that does not check the bearings. Keeping a record will give you insight into the temps of the bearing area and temp of the day. For example, if I am traveling for many miles with the sun hitting one side of the RV vs the other, the side with the sun will register a higher temp on the bearing area than the other side. After years of doing this, we can almost guess what the bearing area (space between two lug bolts) will be based on outside temp, sun or no sun, etc. There will be a range of variance on the wheels, but that is not the concern. The concern is when I have one wheel running significantly hotter than the wheel on the same side. The tire minder helps we keep track of the air pressure to avoid a blowout due to a slow leak. By the time the air in the wheel is reflecting a significant hot temp, the damage by the bearing causing that heat may be too late.
    [/QUOTE]the

Currently pouring down rain here. There are a number on the market. Google best Infrared Thermometers to get a list. Most are the same in quality and value. For you, I went out to the truck and brought mine in. The brand is Benetech model GM300 Infrare Thermometer that measures temps between -58F to 716F Has worked well for us.
    Last edited by terryriddle; 12-24-2020 at 06:54 AM.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have owned several. Have several year old Milwaukee. Best of the bunch. Get on ebay in the $50's, Hdepot at #82 +-

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    My wife and I lost an RV because we had not used such a device. Several years ago while traveling from NC to the midwest, we spend a long lot weekend in a truck stop with our RV on jacks after the mobile unit had cut off the axle for repairs. Since then, I am very concerned with bearings. If there is one thing that can destroy a trip, it is a bearing burn out that went unchecked. I am not sure how that wheel remained on our camper. The metal had melted away. The axle could not be repaired and it was going to take Dexter several weeks to build us an axle and freight it to our location. So nine years ago, we came home with a different RV. A significant cost in that trade-in. Now my wife and I check the temp between two of the bolts on each wheel every time we stop for gas, rest stop, or campground. We keep track of each wheel's temp and carry a set of bearings/seals. If one wheel is running much hotter than the other three, I can change the bearing before I lose my RV. We also run a tire minder for air pressure..but that does not check the bearings. Keeping a record will give you insight into the temps of the bearing area and temp of the day. For example, if I am traveling for many miles with the sun hitting one side of the RV vs the other, the side with the sun will register a higher temp on the bearing area than the other side. After years of doing this, we can almost guess what the bearing area (space between two lug bolts) will be based on outside temp, sun or no sun, etc. There will be a range of variance on the wheels, but that is not the concern. The concern is when I have one wheel running significantly hotter than the wheel on the same side. The tire minder helps we keep track of the air pressure to avoid a blowout due to a slow leak. By the time the air in the wheel is reflecting a significant hot temp, the damage by the bearing causing that heat may be too late.

I agree that a tire minder will not notify you of a hot tire until you are past the time for avoiding permanent tire or bearing damage. I had a truck brake caliper stick and did not get a TPMS signal until way late. When I stopped the brake was smoking and the tire actually smelled like hot rubber. My hand held infrared temp sensor read about 600F. I own 2 or 3 of these and keep them in the glove box or my tool box. I too, check temps when I stop for fuel. And as was pointed out above, a quick touch of the hand will give you a good idea if you forget to get out the tool. The ones I use are all cheap ones that I picked up at a Menard's sale or Harbor Freight. I have never had one fail and only paid $10-15 for them. They have all been pretty accurate. You really only need a relative temperature difference from one wheel to another to know if you have a problem.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea how many miles were on the axles since the last re-pack?
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got one for Christmas, an Etekcity 1022D. Love it so far. Been zapping stuff all morning with it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in Manard,s this weekend and picked on up one for $15. Seems to be accurate enough for checking out hubs and such. Felt pretty good about the buy considering I used to sell the Snap-on version for hundreds of dollars. (shakes head)
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12