User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free Ford 6.7L Power Upgrade

Hi. About a month ago, my truck's CET came on. Turns out I needed the DEF heater/pump replaced (guess that's a wear item, as I have a heard of many being done in the 60,000+ mile range, HAHA). I took it to a local Ford dealer that has treated me fairly in the past to get it replaced. They said they were also going to do "an emissions update" to the ECU. Before the update, I would only see 18 psi on the boost gauge, no matter how far you pushed the pedal. It also felt like the truck was being detuned by the ECU after it came up to normal operating temperature. The truck didn't feel like it pulled any better than a 6.0 powerstroke I drove years ago. After the "emissions update", it is a different truck. Boost now goes up to 23 psi, and truck really goes. No longer is there a dead spot in the pedal. My truck is a 2016. The dealer didn't charge me for the update. I would suggest that anyone who owns a 2011-2016 call around and see if the update is available. Made this truck a lot more fun to drive. I only got to pull my 31MB with it from the house to storage (a short distance), but definitely could feel a difference. Should be nice on the highways next summer!
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to correct a couple of errors in my original post. I meant "CEL", not "CET", which I am guessing everyone figured out. Also, my turbo boost actually maxes out at 28 psi. I apologize for any confusion.
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1967 View Post
    I need to correct a couple of errors in my original post. I meant "CEL", not "CET", which I am guessing everyone figured out. Also, my turbo boost actually maxes out at 28 psi. I apologize for any confusion.
    I don't have this truck but I'm really surprised that there's not more response then this.
    Thanks for posting this info. I'm sure it will come handy for some.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe1967, did you get the DEF heater replaced? If you don't mind me asking... what did that cost? My 2013 had the heater P20BA error code pop on a trip to Tetons last summer. I was able to reset and keep rolling for some of the trip. Every dealer I called could not get me in for service for 8 - 10 days. Eventually the error code would return immediately after clearing. Thankfully, I was able to return home with a slight reduction in engine power output. Never went into limp mode.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    MN_Rider

2019 354M Momentum
    2013 F350 CCSB 6.7

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I ended up getting the DEF heater replaced. An error code would pop up, I would clear it, and then it would return. Even the dealer cleared it the last time, and it came back. Parts, labor, tax, etc. it cost $852.47 for everything. Cloquet Ford did the work. And it took me about 10 days to get in from the time I made the appointment. They also did the emissions update at the same time. I still can't believe how much more power it has. As an aside, I never really paid that much attention to the turbo boost until we bought the 31MB this year. The 31MB is a lot heavier than the 2400BHS we used to pull with the same truck. Even so, I thought this truck should have pulled better than it did. I used to drive an F350 with the 6.0 and would pull a 28 gooseneck full of baled and stacked Christmas trees, and that felt like it had more pull than my 2016 before this emissions update. I know, that 6.0 had 3.73 gears and stock 16inch wheels, but still, I was supposed to have 860 ft/lb of torque with the 2016. Another interesting thing I noticed earlier this summer before I got the update was that the truck seemed to have way more power when the engine was cold than it did when it got up to operating temp (190+). I wonder if the ECU back then was detuning the truck to "help" with emissions? Oh well, it is way more fun now! This extra power also took away the urge to buy a new truck. By the way, they did not charge me anything for the emissions update.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the explanation and info. Shortly after I returned from our Teton trip I got my 2013 deleted and had SOTF tunes installed. I fell in love with this truck all over again. Serious power and will not have to worry about DEF issues again. Haters gonna hate on deletes, but it improved the performance and reliability of the truck.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    MN_Rider

2019 354M Momentum
    2013 F350 CCSB 6.7

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The DEF heater is a warranty issue that had a mileage limit. My 2012 is low mileage so it was a no charge when I had mine changed. The only caveat was the light had to be on when I pulled in to the dealer so they could code the issue. I think it was a 125K limit.
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection