User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I appreciate the tips and advice.
    2017 Reflection 29 RS
    2003 F350 Supercab V10 Longbed
    Pullrite Superlite (like Anderson)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to reiterate due to safety, we never, NEVER charge from the high side. It is always on the low side and suck it in. You do small amounts at a time and watch your pressure gauges.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an image of the inside of a Dometic AC unit. For those of you with expertise, how do I follow the copper lines to be certain that I am putting the piercing valve on the correct, low-side tubing?

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-Polar.../dp/B00SQ2GEJA
    2017 Reflection 29 RS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Piercing valves are useless. They will let you attach gauges and see the pressures at that point in time. Those pressures will change as the refrigerant leaks down and you will get inaccurate readings. They will not create a permeant seal. Then the hole from the piercing has to be repaired and a service port sweated in.
    Do you have an oxygen/acetylene rig and know how to braze? Do you have sil-phos? Do you have gauges and know how to use them? Do you understand the properties of R410A and that it has to be charged either by super heat or weighed in with a scale? You can not simply start putting freon in one of these and go by a pressure reading on a guage.
    You are way out of your wheelhouse with this. If you really want to get the leak fixed and the unit recharged as opposed to replacing it, hire a professional that will not endanger himself or those around him.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=huntindog;334752]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Well you are wrong as well.
    The high side is called that because it runs at high pressure.... In a normal 410A system around 400 psi, depending on ambient temp. The low side should be around 100-125. The low side is also known as the suction side. It is the ONLY way to add refrigerant as it will "suck" it out of the canister. If you attempt to charge thru the high side, you cannot do it as it is running at 400 psi! That would make it pump the refrigerant out of the AC and into the canister you are trying to charge from!... And the risk of an explosion is due to over pressurizing it is VERY real.

As for my tone.... It is harsh for a reason. Somebody can get hurt very badly doing this wrong.

As for those that do not know who to believe.... Do some googling on your own before deciding.
    Dittos on everything you said. you are 100% correct.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=BigSwick;334755]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post

I see now that I don't have the necessary equipment or knowledge to attempt this. I was thinking it was like recharging a car, but with different refrigerant. But you can buy the r410a on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203012297431
    you properly charge a car thru the suction side not the high side.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched this young guy do his thing on this RV AC unit. My symptoms are almost identical -- compressor is running, no visible signs of leak, 5 year old AC unit, yet air temp coming out of vents in not achieving the normal 15 to 20 split with ambient temps. He added 6 ounces by weight of r410a and the unit was cooling well again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNu5dnkbLYI

I was going to take an extra step vs. what the guys in the video did. I am going to spend $25 on this product:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28344949395...3ABFBMoLKsyp1f

I called Envirosafe and talked to their tech guy who has been working in HVAC for years. He said to use the piercing valve, then add the sealant through the valve, then follow-up with r410a, then let the unit run for at least one hour to allow the sealant to "find" and seal the leak. He said the more run time the better after adding the sealant. The tech said that the sealant will also seal the piercing valve itself. If the port needs to be used again in the future, the incoming refrigerant will "break down" the sealant and pass through the port. Once the port is closed again, the sealant will re-form a seal on the port. He said the Envirosafe sealant has been in the marketplace for over 20 years and that is because it works.

I see no harm in following this course of action so long as I locate the piercing valve on the correct line.
    2017 Reflection 29 RS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123