User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to recharge your AC?

So our AC is less than 2 years old and still under warranty. The mobile tech guy confirms it needs replaced. Dometic says 3-5 weeks to get a new one sent out. But we have a trip starting this weekend, and it would be nice to have the AC available if needed. Dometic only wants the "tags" sent back, not the whole unit. So I am going to try to recharge it with 401a. I bought the piercing saddle on ebay for $5. It provides a place to recharge. Where do I install it? Any tips from someone who has done this? thanks!
    As a sidenote, we bought the RV used at Alliance RV in Wildwood FL in Jan 2019. It is a 2018 model. When getting it ready for us to pick up they replaced the AC. They never registered it with Dometic or provided the paperwork to us. Then Lazydays bought them out. Now Lazydays claims to not have access to their records and say they can't help us at all. They didn't even offer to replace it if I brought it in and paid for it. Nada.. So therefore the mobile tech.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC, RV ACs are sealed, not like a car system that is rechargeable. But I could be wrong...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=BigSwick;334672]So our AC is less than 2 years old and still under warranty. The mobile tech guy confirms it needs replaced. Dometic says 3-5 weeks to get a new one sent out. But we have a trip starting this weekend, and it would be nice to have the AC available if needed. Dometic only wants the "tags" sent back, not the whole unit. So I am going to try to recharge it with 401a. I bought the piercing saddle on ebay for $5. It provides a place to recharge. Where do I install it? Any tips from someone who has done this? thanks!
    As a sidenote, we bought the RV used at Alliance RV in Wildwood FL in Jan 2019. It is a 2018 model. When getting it ready for us to pick up they replaced the AC. They never registered it with Dometic or provided the paperwork to us. Then Lazydays bought them out. Now Lazydays claims to not have access to their records and say they can't help us at all. They didn't even offer to replace it if I brought it in and paid for it. Nada.. So therefore the mobile tech.[/QUOTE

I only know auto AC, and yes RV type of AC units are a sealed system, no way to add gas or check pressures. Unless as you say you have found a piercing saddle that would install in the line to allow recharging. Like I said i only know auto AC and you charge or recharge that system through the low pressure side of the line coming from the compressor. Don't imagine it would be any different on an RV AC unit. I don't know what type of gas they use in the RV AC units. On those units determining the low pressure side, I don't know, I've never looked inside of a RV AC unit yet.

A question in my mind would be, if the charge is low, how did it get that way? Must be a leak in the system somewhere or maybe a bad compressor leaking? In auto AC there are numerous connections with Orings that end up leaking.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Steven@147;334701]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    So our AC is less than 2 years old and still under warranty. The mobile tech guy confirms it needs replaced. Dometic says 3-5 weeks to get a new one sent out. But we have a trip starting this weekend, and it would be nice to have the AC available if needed. Dometic only wants the "tags" sent back, not the whole unit. So I am going to try to recharge it with 401a. I bought the piercing saddle on ebay for $5. It provides a place to recharge. Where do I install it? Any tips from someone who has done this? thanks!
    As a sidenote, we bought the RV used at Alliance RV in Wildwood FL in Jan 2019. It is a 2018 model. When getting it ready for us to pick up they replaced the AC. They never registered it with Dometic or provided the paperwork to us. Then Lazydays bought them out. Now Lazydays claims to not have access to their records and say they can't help us at all. They didn't even offer to replace it if I brought it in and paid for it. Nada.. So therefore the mobile tech.[/QUOTE

I only know auto AC, and yes RV type of AC units are a sealed system, no way to add gas or check pressures. Unless as you say you have found a piercing saddle that would install in the line to allow recharging. Like I said i only know auto AC and you charge or recharge that system through the low pressure side of the line coming from the compressor. Don't imagine it would be any different on an RV AC unit. I don't know what type of gas they use in the RV AC units. On those units determining the low pressure side, I don't know, I've never looked inside of a RV AC unit yet.

A question in my mind would be, if the charge is low, how did it get that way? Must be a leak in the system somewhere or maybe a bad compressor leaking? In auto AC there are numerous connections with Orings that end up leaking.
    If you fill from the low pressure line it better be while the unit is off. I'd be very apprehensive charging any A/C unit through the low pressure side while running (pump suction) because if you should get a slug of liquid in the line it could damage the compressor. That is much like hydro-locking a combustion engine. Find the compressor discharge which would be the smaller of the two lines to the condenser and see if your saddle would fit. It is sad that these units are built as throw-a-ways and no means to check or refill provided.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is the saddle I bought.
    https://www.amazon.com/Supco-BPV31-B...535143&sr=8-28

But I assumed R410a was like 134A. I went to 2 auto parts stores and west marine. Can't find it. Online it is close to $100 for a small cannister. so I guess we will go
    without on the upcoming trip
    ~Dean

2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    here is the saddle I bought.
    https://www.amazon.com/Supco-BPV31-B...535143&sr=8-28

But I assumed R410a was like 134A. I went to 2 auto parts stores and west marine. Can't find it. Online it is close to $100 for a small cannister. so I guess we will go
    without on the upcoming trip
    For 410a you would need to go to an HVAC supply house, a license and proof that you work for a contractor or service company that does HVAC.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Wicked ace;334706]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post

If you fill from the low pressure line it better be while the unit is off. I'd be very apprehensive charging any A/C unit through the low pressure side while running (pump suction) because if you should get a slug of liquid in the line it could damage the compressor. That is much like hydro-locking a combustion engine. Find the compressor discharge which would be the smaller of the two lines to the condenser and see if your saddle would fit. It is sad that these units are built as throw-a-ways and no means to check or refill provided.
    DANGER
    Do not attempt this
    You can get hurt or blinded
    Doing this on the high side of a running ac will over pressure the Freon canister and probably explode it
    Charging on a running ac can only be done on the low side
    If you do not understand ac do not attempt this or give advice on forums
    It is a dangerous procedure
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=huntindog;334734]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    DANGER
    Do not attempt this
    You can get hurt or blinded
    Doing this on the high side of a running ac will over pressure the Freon canister and probably explode it
    Charging on a running ac can only be done on the low side
    If you do not understand ac do not attempt this or give advice on forums
    It is a dangerous procedure
    I'm sorry but you don't know what you are talking about. By the tone of that post I expect you have minimal training or experience with refrigeration systems.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Wicked ace;334739]
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

I'm sorry but you don't know what you are talking about. By the tone of that post I expect you have minimal training or experience with refrigeration systems.
    Well you are wrong as well.
    The high side is called that because it runs at high pressure.... In a normal 410A system around 400 psi, depending on ambient temp. The low side should be around 100-125. The low side is also known as the suction side. It is the ONLY way to add refrigerant as it will "suck" it out of the canister. If you attempt to charge thru the high side, you cannot do it as it is running at 400 psi! That would make it pump the refrigerant out of the AC and into the canister you are trying to charge from!... And the risk of an explosion is due to over pressurizing it is VERY real.

As for my tone.... It is harsh for a reason. Somebody can get hurt very badly doing this wrong.

As for those that do not know who to believe.... Do some googling on your own before deciding.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Wicked ace;334739]
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

I see now that I don't have the necessary equipment or knowledge to attempt this. I was thinking it was like recharging a car, but with different refrigerant. But you can buy the r410a on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203012297431
    ~Dean

2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast