User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefmikie View Post
    FYI. All electric sharpeners are just grinders and will eat away at the metal faster than any other method.
    Agreed but they are faster.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    The One Who Must Be Obeyed is getting tired of dull knives. I have used several pull through hand sharpeners on them, but they dull quickly. They are good knives (Chicago Cutlery) I have even got out my diamond knife hone, but again I know I must be doing something wrong. I have been looking at a few 3 station electric ones, but all have a few bad reviews. What are folks using to keep knives sharp, and the boss unit happy. Sometimes I think she will throw them at me when she runs across another dull one - so you could be saving my life

Thanks
    Keith
    We purchase inexpensive food service grade knives at Sam's Club. When they get dull we toss them and rotate in a new one. That is how we keep our knives sharp. $11.78 for a two pack. We can get 2-3 months out of a single knife.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/7-santoku...=plp_product_5

Nice knives are nice and expensive and so is the sharpening tools needed to keep them sharp. Not all Chicago Cutlery are 'good'. If you want a knife you can really sharpen look for carbon steel. The type of steel determines what type of edge you can put on the knife. A carbon steel an take a very low angled edge which provides for very sharp edge.

If you are buying a preset sharpener be sure it is matched to the type of steel your knives are and the type of edge they can take.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. Not a fan of knife grinders or electric sharpeners. We never used them in the culinary world. I guess a home cook with inexpensive knives could benefit but they are also pricy.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Toyota Tundra 1794 w/ tow package
    Retired Chef 2020.
    Mike and Karen.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefmikie View Post
    FYI. All electric sharpeners are just grinders and will eat away at the metal faster than any other method.
    Thank you so much for such a detail, I thought such a sharpener was superior!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought I would update this I got the Chef's Choice Precision Edge unit form BB&B Model # 2933 on unit. Its works very well. I sharpened the knives about 6 months ago and edges are still good. Very happy with it.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the review, because I thought all electric sharpeners weren't very reliable.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone should learn to use a steel. I worked in the hospitality industry most of my life and also sold food service supplies and equipment. I repped lines of cutlery. Pull your knife blade back on the steel to straighten the edge. Then pull it forward to hone it. 3-4 times each way. Keeps your knives sharper longer and reduces the need to sharpen. Sharpening takes metal off the edge.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Everyone should learn to use a steel. I worked in the hospitality industry most of my life and also sold food service supplies and equipment. I repped lines of cutlery. Pull your knife blade back on the steel to straighten the edge. Then pull it forward to hone it. 3-4 times each way. Keeps your knives sharper longer and reduces the need to sharpen. Sharpening takes metal off the edge.
    I don't want to be negative here, but what you wrote doesn't make sense to me. What I learned (and this might be wrong) is that a knife blade becomes dull because the sharp edge is thin and looses material with usage. To resharpen your knife, you need to eliminate some material to make the edge thin again. This is what the steel is for: it eliminates material both ways, forward and back. however, it also leaves some material on the side of the edge, which is called a bur, and you need to eliminate this material with a last pass (preferably on a leather strip).

Having said that, IMHO the steel is not the best tool to sharpen a knife (yes, I believe knives need to be sharpen to be efficient). The best tools are a set of wet stones of different grades and a strip of leather. Personally, I don't bother with this complicated way to sharpen a knife. I own a steel and a professional sharpening tool (J. A. Henckels Twin Sharp), but always use the Henckels sharpener, never the steel.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it may be true that a properly used stone is better than a properly used electric sharpener, what is total misinformation is that a properly used electric sharpener will "ruin" your knives. A properly used electric sharpener will get your knives sharp enough to cleanly slice a sheet of paper, and more importantly, more than sharp enough to perform any culinary task.

Electric sharpeners are VERY easy to use with a minimal learning curve. I have been using one that is comparable to the Chef's Mate model (3 stages)mentioned above for a VERY long (more than 20 years) on the same set of Wusthof Classic (forged) knives that look as good as they did they day I bought them (and are even sharper). They are NOT ruined.

Pay attention to the angle of the sharpener that you buy (know if your knives are German vs. Japanese); some sharpeners have settings for two angles.

Again, not arguing better than using a stone, but electric sharpeners make sense for some and absolutely will not ruin your knives.

Regarding using a steel, i agree that it is important to know how to use a steel. That said, it is also important to understand the difference between honing and sharpening. Honing is valuable, and can reduce the frequency of needing to sharpen, but it does not replace the need to sharpen.
    Last edited by Keebler; 07-12-2021 at 12:56 PM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scriptuali-T View Post
    I don't want to be negative here, but what you wrote doesn't make sense to me. What I learned (and this might be wrong) is that a knife blade becomes dull because the sharp edge is thin and looses material with usage. To resharpen your knife, you need to eliminate some material to make the edge thin again. This is what the steel is for: it eliminates material both ways, forward and back. however, it also leaves some material on the side of the edge, which is called a bur, and you need to eliminate this material with a last pass (preferably on a leather strip).

Having said that, IMHO the steel is not the best tool to sharpen a knife (yes, I believe knives need to be sharpen to be efficient). The best tools are a set of wet stones of different grades and a strip of leather. Personally, I don't bother with this complicated way to sharpen a knife. I own a steel and a professional sharpening tool (J. A. Henckels Twin Sharp), but always use the Henckels sharpener, never the steel.
    Yep. What do I know. I only worked in hotel and restaurant kitchens for 15 years and sold restaurant equipment and supplies for 20. I repped both Chicago Cutlery and a line sold to butcher shops. You are probably right, I make no sense.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast