2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for those who believe in washing your truck..

Get a foam cannon. They are cheap, and they make washing anything "big" a MUCH better experience, both for you and for the vehicle. I wash all our stuff at home, the 450, the 351M, my wife's car, tractors, farm tools, etc, etc. A foam cannon probably takes about 1/2 the time out of it and makes for a much better job. Foam the truck, run a brush over it, spray it off. I can finish my and my wife's truck in <1hr. It would take more time to drive them both to a car wash, that's for sure.

The RV, well, that's more time, but 2 people, I we could probably knock off a full wash in 1.5 hrs or so using the cannon. And the job is really a lot better than bucket/brush, there's so much foam floating the dirt away, really does come out nice.

The other trick, use a ceramic wax (cheaper option) or a ceramic coating (more expensive, but lasts longer). Makes the washing a lot less work, I put a coat of ceramic wax on everything every 6 months or so. Totally worth the time spent, looks great for a long time between washes and, honestly, anything but really tough stuff, I don't even need the brush. Foam it, then power wash it off with a green nozzle. I can do that to my truck in ~15 mins or so, and if it's not really dirty, it'll look 85% after I'm done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post comments!

The pickings are slim right now, but I'm going to hit up the Ford & Ram dealerships in the area to test drive a dually. Going to see how well I handle the ‘girth’ in city traffic … run for cover.

I’ve been a Ford guy, but leaning towards the Ram. With the exception of the F450, and IF I did my research right, it seems the LB Rams have a tighter turning radius than the Fords; it being very similar to a SB CC Ford?!
    I don’t see any F450’s to test drive in my area.
    Happy Holidays all.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ray, the F450’s scared me away with the front tire issues (premature wearing). BigTruckBigRv comments about this a lot on this videos. However that could be just a small handful, best to read heavily on it first. Otherwise apparently an awesome truck, only 4500 out there with a box from the factory. Have to watch the 3 inch receiver if your bumper pulling, all your hitches may be 2.5” now.

We fell in love with the Ram 3500’s, Laramie package on up to limited. Tons of toys. If you get a 2021 they switched back to the reliable CP3 fuel pump as well.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    Ray, the F450’s scared me away with the front tire issues (premature wearing). BigTruckBigRv comments about this a lot on this videos. However that could be just a small handful, best to read heavily on it first. Otherwise apparently an awesome truck, only 4500 out there with a box from the factory. Have to watch the 3 inch receiver if your bumper pulling, all your hitches may be 2.5” now.

We fell in love with the Ram 3500’s, Laramie package on up to limited. Tons of toys. If you get a 2021 they switched back to the reliable CP3 fuel pump as well.
    The 450 comes with a 2.5 to 3" converter.

The big issue I have with my 450 is tramlining, following cracks in the road like a bloodhound. On most highways, you wouldn't notice it, but on some, including, unfortunately, the one I have to drive EVERY time I take out the RV, it's not fun. I think it's a tire issue; I've talked to others who've moved away from the stock tires and have much better performance. It's livable, but would be my biggest complaint with this truck.

My biggest "like"? The turning radius. It turns like a forklift (at least for it's size). That's useful in so many situations, especially with a huge pickup like this.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    Was looking at a 2021 GM 3500 SWR the other day and it was over 3900 for cargo capacity. Not 2600
    My 2019 3500 srw has a payload of just under 3500, the 20 & 21 models are more.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1234 View Post
    First off, I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post comments!

The pickings are slim right now, but I'm going to hit up the Ford & Ram dealerships in the area to test drive a dually. Going to see how well I handle the ‘girth’ in city traffic … run for cover.

I’ve been a Ford guy, but leaning towards the Ram. With the exception of the F450, and IF I did my research right, it seems the LB Rams have a tighter turning radius than the Fords; it being very similar to a SB CC Ford?!
    I don’t see any F450’s to test drive in my area.
    Happy Holidays all.
    I would recommend you drive both a SRW and DRW 1 ton and see how they compare for daily use. My RV configuration is within the payload limits for a SRW, so my wife and I test drove both a SRW and DRW F-350. The ride on the DRW when not towing convinced us that we wouldn't want it as a daily driver. The SRW felt controlled under all conditions while the DRW occasionally kicked us off the seats over relatively small bumps that the SRW handled with ease. Combining the ride difference with the extra width and length made the decision clear for us. I have a friend who gave me similar feedback on the Ram 3500 DRW he purchased. In his case he traded his RAM SRW 3500 for a RAM DRW 3500 and he has the same feelings about the ride when not towing.

One item we didn't think to consider during the decision was the fact when we are using the RV the tow vehicle becomes our sight seeing vehicle. Quite often we are in places where it would be nearly impossible to park a DRW. In tourist areas it is often not practical to just try to find a farther away spot, since that may literally be a mile or more away from where we are going. We have had to park on small streets, in lots where people are circling for spots, and in parking garages with limited space. I couldn't imagine dealing with the extra length and width of a DRW long bed under those conditions.

For your original question, I wouldn't be concerned about a blowout for a SRW truck. As noted above, blowouts on well maintained truck tires is not something that you see anymore and the DRW still only has single front tires. I also wouldn't be concerned about the towing performance of a SRW as long as you stay within the payload limits. I have none of the stability issues noted above or issues with passing semis, but I also pay attention to the payload limits.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny, I guess we're all different. My wife would swear to you that the 2019 450 rides better than the 2019 250 did (yes, I'm a two truck club member). And there's no question that adding Saulstic springs made the ride better on the 450 than the 250 had (but, to be fair, I didn't have them on the 250).

I have Saulstics and Airlift 5000's on my 450, it rides pretty good unloaded in my eyes, and it rides great when towing compared to the 250 (again, to be fair, if I bagged the 250, it would have been a lot better). But I'm not sure I could blind driving tell you the difference between the ride in the 250 vs the 450 (stock). They are both rough, they ride like a truck. You hit a sharp bump, you're gonna feel it in either truck. Air down the tires (again, either truck) and/or add Saulastics and it will ride better. I'm happy with the 450 ride, but it's not "soft" by any means! It's closer to the ride my 150 had with a lot more capacity, that's about the best I can offfer.

Your other point, if you heading into populated areas, yeah, it's a problem. A dually is a big truck, and they don't park or drive well in a city, period. My wife and I do all our camping for wilderness areas/hiking, so, for us, the 450 is a great vehicle to bang around in to trails and around on the dirt roads. But if you're more the "Take the RV to NY and then run into the city", yeah, don't do that in a 450/dually, you will not be happy!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234