User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SRW 5th wheel towing concern

Hi, my first post! I'd like to ask you veteran 5th wheel peeps a question.

My wife and I are finally ready to jump into a 5th wheel after spending 2 yrs in a travel trailer and really interested in the 2930RL.

That decision was easy. The hard part is our tow vehicle (TV) choice. It'll be a F350 or 3500, we know that.
    But we would prefer a SRW vs DRW as it will be our daily driver, exploring back roads etc.

However, thoughts of safety come to mind. Has anyone experienced a tire blow-out/flat on a SRW TV while on the road towing a 5th wheel?

Thanks in advance.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally have not experienced that, but if you are concerned, then by all means, you should probably get a dually.

That being said, I believe as long as you stay within the weight capacities of your rear axle, and the tires, you won't increase the likelihood of a blowout. Exceed capacities, and all bets are off.

Have you ever experienced a rear tire blow out with your travel trailer? I would bet if that occurs the potential for catastrophe is greater than with a 5er.

Just pay attention to the weights and capacities and don't worry excessively.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a blowout on front would be a bigger problem and that's a single tire on either.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me,, that is drw territory.

That 5ver has a GVWR of 15k which equates to a potential pin weight of 3k to as much as 3750k.

I have a 2019 3500 srw duramax and I would draw the line at 14k. Later models certainly have higher payload so they may be more up to the task.

Good Luck with your decision.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It depends on the truck suspension package and the true pin carrying weight. Bill is correct true pin weight loaded will be close to 3K then add hitch weight and any gear in back. Depending on the model and options your cargo carrying carrying capacity might work, but you will be maxed out. An F350 with the 11400 gvw package might work, As for GM there was another post where the GN rating was only 2600 lbs (5th wheel is the same), so it appears they have a hitch of less capacity the the weight carrying capacity. Also the truck capacity's needs to include you , passenger, hitch, fuel, etc. When shopping check the door sticker. Pin weight should exceed 3K, Cargo capacity should be north of 3500lbs or more and then remember you will need to travel light on the 5er.

Bottom line get a max GVW dually set up correctly and again double check the OEM pin weight capacity of thier puck system. It will tow better. You will get used to the dually as a daily driver - just don't park in the sub-compact spots

hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    Having a blowout on front would be a bigger problem and that's a single tire on either.
    Everything I have ever heard says rear blowouts are much harder to control then fronts. Never personally had either so
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bottom line get a max GVW dually set up correctly and again double check the OEM pin weight capacity of thier puck system. It will tow better. You will get used to the dually as a daily driver - just don't park in the sub-compact spots
    I'll say this, having owned both a SRW and DRW diesel pickup truck, and towed 3 different trailers with both of them, from 7K to 21K. The DRW, need it or not, is a much better towing experience. It's better with my 7K landscape trailer, and it's better with my 16.8K RV. It's just all around a more comfortable and controlled experience. You may not "need" it in your case, but you will certainly notice the difference between a SRW and DRW towing heavy, even more so in difficult conditions (rain/wind/etc).

I would really start at (advice I should have taken myself) "Can I make a DRW work for me" as the decision point rather than "Will this SRW tow my rig". DRW is a better towing experience, need it or not. It's kind of like buying a GT500 when a regular Mustang "will do". Yes, both will get you point A-B. But you'll be a lot happier in the GT500. Only in towing do we have these "what's the minimum possible config I can get away with", instead of "What's the best possible experience I can have doing what I want to do with the vehicle". The answer to the first question might be a 350 SRW, the answer to the 2nd question is, without a doubt, something with DRW.

Also, if you decide on DRW, look at the 450 too; it's a more capable tow vehicle than a 350 DRW (even if the sticker says otherwise, a cursory mechanical inspection will show you why the sticker isn't telling the real story). And on a Ford anyway, the 450 turns a lot sharper, something that seems like a "whatever", in practice is really something you will use and enjoy often. These suckers are long and hard to manuever in tight places, a smaller turning radius is very nice to have.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1234 View Post
    Hi, my first post! I'd like to ask you veteran 5th wheel peeps a question.

My wife and I are finally ready to jump into a 5th wheel after spending 2 yrs in a travel trailer and really interested in the 2930RL.

That decision was easy. The hard part is our tow vehicle (TV) choice. It'll be a F350 or 3500, we know that.
    But we would prefer a SRW vs DRW as it will be our daily driver, exploring back roads etc.

However, thoughts of safety come to mind. Has anyone experienced a tire blow-out/flat on a SRW TV while on the road towing a 5th wheel?

Thanks in advance.
    Regarding your question......I am having a hard time recalling any posts about truck tire blowouts in recent years, over the 7 seasons that I have been on the site. Yes, some posts about the old days and tires and certainly RV trailer tire issues. Maybe someone else recalls and can point you to the post(s) or possibly conducting a search on blowout will yield some reading enjoyment !

Carol and too along with other forum folks have been considering the 2930. Look forward to your future posts on truck choice and your 2930.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

We have a 311BHS so its 1000lbs lighter than what you are looking at.

I have no issues with my 2020 3500 Duramax, I am going to get airbags installed this winter as there is some squat.

This was our first 5th Wheel and I know my next truck will be a Dually, my truck is my daily driver also.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I'll say this, having owned both a SRW and DRW diesel pickup truck, and towed 3 different trailers with both of them, from 7K to 21K. The DRW, need it or not, is a much better towing experience. It's better with my 7K landscape trailer, and it's better with my 16.8K RV. It's just all around a more comfortable and controlled experience. You may not "need" it in your case, but you will certainly notice the difference between a SRW and DRW towing heavy, even more so in difficult conditions (rain/wind/etc).

I would really start at (advice I should have taken myself) "Can I make a DRW work for me" as the decision point rather than "Will this SRW tow my rig". DRW is a better towing experience, need it or not. It's kind of like buying a GT500 when a regular Mustang "will do". Yes, both will get you point A-B. But you'll be a lot happier in the GT500. Only in towing do we have these "what's the minimum possible config I can get away with", instead of "What's the best possible experience I can have doing what I want to do with the vehicle". The answer to the first question might be a 350 SRW, the answer to the 2nd question is, without a doubt, something with DRW.

Also, if you decide on DRW, look at the 450 too; it's a more capable tow vehicle than a 350 DRW (even if the sticker says otherwise, a cursory mechanical inspection will show you why the sticker isn't telling the real story). And on a Ford anyway, the 450 turns a lot sharper, something that seems like a "whatever", in practice is really something you will use and enjoy often. These suckers are long and hard to manuever in tight places, a smaller turning radius is very nice to have.
    I will second the advice on asking the right question "Can I make a DRW work for me?" . Up until my current truck which is a Ram dually, I had always approached the truck question as "what compromise will meet my needs of towing and daily driver?" I should have focused on my most demanding application (towing), and learned to make the other applications work. Towing is no longer a white knuckles, frustrating, tiring event. True, I may park further out, and some drive throughs may not work (I have legs), but I think it is a small tradeoff for having an A-game when towing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast