User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to determine proper weight distribution?

I have the Anderson Weight Distributing hitch system. I set it up according to the directions. My question is: What is the best way to determine that the weight is actually properly distributed between the front and rear of my truck?

There seems to be some conflicting information but what I have read suggests:
    1. The trailer should be level when hitched to the truck.
    2. Measure the height off the ground of both the front and rear of the truck and adjust the weight distributing hitch so both front and rear a relatively the same height off the ground.
    3. Insure all weights are within limits.

When I first got the trailer I towed it around to get use to towing a TT for the first time in over 30 years and to break in the brakes. The back of the truck didn't sag much but then we loaded it with all the stuff we plan to keep in it permanently including all the stuff in the pass through and stuff that will go in the bed of the truck when we travel and now the back of the truck sags quite a bit. The trailer is not quite level when hooked up to the truck. According to my Level Minder Pro the front is 1.75" lower. The front end of the truck appears to be slightly raised when the trailer is attached. While I haven't weighed it since loading it I did weigh the rig empty and I weighed all the stuff I put in both the trailer and truck and adding that weight to the empty numbers put me well under the trucks and trailers capacity numbers.

Right now the trailer is in the shop for some warranty repairs but when I pick it up I plan to weigh the tongue with a tongue scale I borrowed and then drive to a CAT scale, weigh the truck and trailer and then drop the trailer and weigh the truck. The front and rear axles of the truck and the trailer will be on different scales. This will give me precise numbers but still won't answer my question. How do I use this information to determine proper weight distribution?
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is hit a CAT scale if there's one near you or any other type of scale. They tell all. You can download the app to find the nearest one and its quicker to pay. Loaded up your rig, family and truck as if going for a trip. You'll need to hit that scale 3 times. 1st, TV + tt with wdh engage. 2nd TV + tt with wdh disengaged. 3rd TV only.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ford recommends restoring at least 50% of the weight taken off the front wheels by the weight of the trailer. Many of us have found that trying to get back to 100% is better.
    The best way is to get to a scale, and weight the truck without the trailer, then hook up but do not set the weight distribution (ie - leave the Anderson chains floppy loose) and weigh again. That will give the weight taken off. Then set the weight distribution to where you think it should be, and weigh again to see how much of that you have restored.

A less precise way: Have truck and trailer on a level surface. With the trailer unhitched completely, put a piece of tape on the front fender, in line with the hub of the wheel. Measure from the ground, and make a mark at a convenient height measurement. Lower the trailer fully onto the ball, but do not engage the weight distribution. Remeasure to see how much your mark has risen. Adjust the weight distribution until the front comes down and regains at least 1/2 the distance it went up - or as much as all the way back to what it was to start.

In all of this, we ignore what happens on the back end. If it sags too much, you need air bags or other. But that won't change the amount of adjustment you have found for your hitch.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. There is a CAT scale about 40 minutes away that I have used before and I have the app. It's a truck stop so there will be a place for me to drop the trailer.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package