User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    And keep in mind, should you be in an accident and your insurance company checks out your payload + trailer weight, if you are over they can deny any and all claims.
    This is a myth. Insurance companies will pay out - no-fault insurance. They may raise your rates afterward or cancel your policy, but they'll pay for the accident. I've also had multiple LEOs tell me that, unless it's a commercial vehicle operating under state and Federal DOT regulations, insurers do not pay any attention to weights or payload ratings (nor investigators for that matter).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you already know the answer for you question.

The 1500 puts you at the very payload limit or over it
    The 2500 handles it below the limits, never have to really worry about weights

While those with 1500 will swear by that they care capable, very few of them have pulled with the 3/4 ton for distance and don’t realize how much more stable the 2500 is ( let alone a 3500). That and there is no measure to the extra wear and tear on the truck which won’t show up immediately on the 1500.

Let’s look at add ones to the 2500 weight. 300 at least for two occupants. Let’s say you are boondocking so you’d carry at least 54 gallons of water ( (432 lbs) a generator (120 lbs) , inverter/ charger (25 lbs) , grill (15 lbs, ) table + chairs ( 15 lbs), at least one more batter (62 lbs) = 670 lbs , and on and on ( clothes, bedding, pots and pans, tools, utensils, You get the message. Your over the payload if you want to camp comfortably.

Insurance payout may be no fault, but I know of two injury instances where a RV was towed by and over payload vehicle and there was a lawsuit as such.

Point is why risk it, you either spend the money for the 2500 up front or pay for it by decreased vehicle life, worrying about what you are carrying, and sway for the 1500. We have a 2020 Ram 2500 and coming 2500RL.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    This is a myth. Insurance companies will pay out - no-fault insurance. They may raise your rates afterward or cancel your policy, but they'll pay for the accident. I've also had multiple LEOs tell me that, unless it's a commercial vehicle operating under state and Federal DOT regulations, insurers do not pay any attention to weights or payload ratings (nor investigators for that matter).

Rob
    Absolute truth, no fault insurance or not. In most, if not all the US, insurance companies are required by state law to pay claims on vehicles they insure. Overweight, bad tires, speeding, failure to yield, etc., makes no difference.

However, you could still be sued for damages exceeding your insurance coverage. If your at fault and total a $250k Lamborghini, you could be out some $$$s.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

Rob[/QUOTE]

Rob,
    I took your advice and visited the CHANGINGEARS site and imputed my "known data" from the manufactures (GMC, GD, and E-ZLIFT) and it turns out I'm at the recommended 15%, that is providing I stay with in those limits. I also added my "ballpark" tongue weight from the bath room scale setup and still in good shape.

I really need to get to a set of scales to validate everything sooner than later.

Still faced with payload limitations I need to be be careful with.

I'm also considering replacing my "P" tires with "LT" tires just to increase my safety margins since I'm up at the upper limits of my setup.
    For now we are just making short trips and in the south we don't have hills and mountains to deal with.

Now last year we did rent a JAYCO BH trailer that was 500# lighter and 1' foot shorter we had no problems towing, braking, and only some sway with wind and turbulence.
    Like I said earlier I have fined tuned the WDH and feel and all that has been minimize.

Thanks again. You very right that everyone needs to go thru this exercise to understand their situation.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    I took your advice and visited the CHANGINGEARS site and imputed my "known data" from the manufactures (GMC, GD, and E-ZLIFT) and it turns out I'm at the recommended 15%, that is providing I stay with in those limits. I also added my "ballpark" tongue weight from the bath room scale setup and still in good shape.

I really need to get to a set of scales to validate everything sooner than later.

Still faced with payload limitations I need to be be careful with.

I'm also considering replacing my "P" tires with "LT" tires just to increase my safety margins since I'm up at the upper limits of my setup.
    For now we are just making short trips and in the south we don't have hills and mountains to deal with.

Now last year we did rent a JAYCO BH trailer that was 500# lighter and 1' foot shorter we had no problems towing, braking, and only some sway with wind and turbulence.
    Like I said earlier I have fined tuned the WDH and feel and all that has been minimize.

Thanks again. You very right that everyone needs to go thru this exercise to understand their situation.[/QUOTE]

There should be a noticeable different between P and LT tires on the tow vehicle - the sidewalls are lot different and should tighten up the handling.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, for all your posts on this subject. It has been very helpful, indeed! I think there is a way I can make it work if I take everything out of the truck and strategically place it in the trailer to balance out the tongue weight. Of course, the largest storage compartment is right up front so it is tempting to throw it all in there but I don't think that's going to work, necessarily!
    With several people stating a 900-1000 lb tongue weight (don't know how much of that is options added to the camper or how much is just camping "stuff" loaded in), I think there are really only two options... get a bigger truck or start searching for a smaller camper.
    I don't want to have to go bare-bones when we camp as part of the fun for us is having everything we need for most any situation or scenario. I think this camper with my present TV would just be cutting it too close and asking for trouble.

My 2015 Ram is almost paid for so I think I'll start by shopping around to see what I can afford by trading it in. This will not be easy in itself as my current truck has pretty much all the options and we've gotten a bit spoiled by all the creature comforts. To get the same options on a 2500, the price goes crazy high!! Well, I don't know about you but $60 - $80K is a lot in my book and more than I'm willing to spend! Obviously gonna have to go used but trying to keep the mileage down and not be any older than my present truck.
    Well, now I'm just rambling so I'll stop. Wish me luck!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daebado View Post
    Thanks everyone, for all your posts on this subject. It has been very helpful, indeed! I think there is a way I can make it work if I take everything out of the truck and strategically place it in the trailer to balance out the tongue weight. Of course, the largest storage compartment is right up front so it is tempting to throw it all in there but I don't think that's going to work, necessarily!
    With several people stating a 900-1000 lb tongue weight (don't know how much of that is options added to the camper or how much is just camping "stuff" loaded in), I think there are really only two options... get a bigger truck or start searching for a smaller camper.
    I don't want to have to go bare-bones when we camp as part of the fun for us is having everything we need for most any situation or scenario. I think this camper with my present TV would just be cutting it too close and asking for trouble.

My 2015 Ram is almost paid for so I think I'll start by shopping around to see what I can afford by trading it in. This will not be easy in itself as my current truck has pretty much all the options and we've gotten a bit spoiled by all the creature comforts. To get the same options on a 2500, the price goes crazy high!! Well, I don't know about you but $60 - $80K is a lot in my book and more than I'm willing to spend! Obviously gonna have to go used but trying to keep the mileage down and not be any older than my present truck.
    Well, now I'm just rambling so I'll stop. Wish me luck!
    Good luck buddy. Your not the first to be in this position and won't be the last. When I bought my TV, we hadn't planned on buying a tt. I'm trading up also. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2500RL - 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Z71, 5.3 Liter, 4.32 gears, integrated trailer brake controller, with Fastway E2 WD Hitch. No issues, very stable and plenty of power and stopping. The 2500RL at ~7,500 lbs GVW is the most I would try to pull with it, though.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2500 RL- Chevy express 2500 cargo van. We want to go out west so the new van is going to be a Chevy express 3500. Can tow 10,000 lbs. should make it up the mountains. The 2500 small engine struggles a little with the hills of the east coast.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2500RL tongue weight, and others of that model, is upwards of 950~975 without fresh water. Tow with a Tundra and e2 WDH. I know that I will always be 150-200# over payload. Installed RAS, Other then that, all stock suspension tires and wheels. No problem towing.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast