User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2450 and 2500RL owners: What are you towing with?

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum but have been a long-time member of another RV forum and am on the verge of making a switch. We currently have a hybrid travel trailer that we like well enough but it does have some short-comings that I won't go into here, and so we're wanting to "move up" to a full hard-sided camper. Love the layouts of the rear living room models in the Imagine line but I have a question:
    Can I (reasonably and safely) tow one of these with my 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab?

I'm not worried about towing capacity, I'm worried about tongue weight. My current camper at last weigh was about 670 lbs. I like to bring quite a bit of stuff in the bed of the truck and was shocked to find out that this was causing me to be near my GVWR and actually had my rear axle over it's rating by just a little. My WDH was set up by my dealer when I bought the camper so the camper and my truck were empty at the time. Also, I don't think he knew that I have the auto-levelling suspension (nor would he have known what to do with it if he did know it was there!) so I think there are some adjustments I can make there to get things looking better along with moving some of the weight from the truck to the camper.

My worry is that starting with a 580 pound hitch weight rating on the 2450 or 2500, well... what is it really?? I know that's what the factory says it is (dry), but what is it out the door? I know that different options are going to change it some but it would be nice to know a ballpark going into it.

So, what are you guys towing these campers with and, more importantly, have you weighed your rigs and if so, what were your numbers?
    I don't want to find out after purchasing that I'm overloading the payload capacities of my truck! And 3/4 ton trucks are super expensive!!

Thanks!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daebado View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to this forum but have been a long-time member of another RV forum and am on the verge of making a switch. We currently have a hybrid travel trailer that we like well enough but it does have some short-comings that I won't go into here, and so we're wanting to "move up" to a full hard-sided camper. Love the layouts of the rear living room models in the Imagine line but I have a question:
    Can I (reasonably and safely) tow one of these with my 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab?

I'm not worried about towing capacity, I'm worried about tongue weight. My current camper at last weigh was about 670 lbs. I like to bring quite a bit of stuff in the bed of the truck and was shocked to find out that this was causing me to be near my GVWR and actually had my rear axle over it's rating by just a little. My WDH was set up by my dealer when I bought the camper so the camper and my truck were empty at the time. Also, I don't think he knew that I have the auto-levelling suspension (nor would he have known what to do with it if he did know it was there!) so I think there are some adjustments I can make there to get things looking better along with moving some of the weight from the truck to the camper.

My worry is that starting with a 580 pound hitch weight rating on the 2450 or 2500, well... what is it really?? I know that's what the factory says it is (dry), but what is it out the door? I know that different options are going to change it some but it would be nice to know a ballpark going into it.

So, what are you guys towing these campers with and, more importantly, have you weighed your rigs and if so, what were your numbers?
    I don't want to find out after purchasing that I'm overloading the payload capacities of my truck! And 3/4 ton trucks are super expensive!!

Thanks!
    I feel ya. Our tongue weight scale numbers for our 22mle loaded for camping, 1/3 fresh water is 760lbs. Not the same rig but should give you a little hint. Maybe it would help if you would share your door sticker numbers. Our payload sticker says 1426lbs. But there's also your rear axle weight ratio. BTW, 3 years ago we rented a hybrid for a 6 week tour of the Canadian Maritimes and that is what got us hooked on RVing.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daebado View Post
    Hi,

Thanks!
    Our 2020 2450rl has a tongue weight of 980 to 1020 lbs. depending on whats in storage.
    We initially pulled with a ram 1500 and it was white knuckle time with sway and being blown
    by wind and big trucks. We skipped the Ram 2500 and went with the Ram 3500 which is
    complete overkill but we may upgrade to a larger TT. The Propride hitch helped with most of the sway.
    Hope this helps:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daebado,

I'm very new to TT but our TV is 2018 GMC 1500 Sierra SLT, Z71 SB, 4X4 CC V*-5,3L w/GR/3.42, with towing package.
    It's payload is 1533# And tow capacity 10,600#

We have the 2450RL.

Our tongue weight is has been between 900# and 1000# thus far while we do put quite a bit in the TT our truck has only a minimum at this point in our experiences.
    I haven't stopped at a set of scales yet but use the home bathroom scale method. So I feel the weights are in the ball park.

So that leaves us 500# for the truck, occupants, my wife and I and 2- 5# dogs take up 325# so that leaves 175#, not a whole lot. Since I've not weight the truck I sure with a full tank of gas I'm approaching the payload limit.
    At this point we only carry tools in the truck bed.

Our only major addition will be a pair of bikes but that will be added to the rear bumper of the TT once I add a set of rear bumper support brackets.
    Theoretically that should add only deduct tongue weight to some degree and still be under the TT max weight, but will be approaching it max capacity.
    We have been mentored to travel with gray and black water tanks near empty and minimum amount of fresh water.
    I don't believe we will be doing any boondocking.

As I said this is our 1st TT but thus far we love it, it fits our lifestyle and comfort level with reasonable safety cushion with the TV, based on our typical loading thus far.

I had to play around with the WDH quite a bit but I'm feel real comfortable and safe while towing.

Like I said our experience is bare minimum but our daughter and son n law serve as our mentors and also the help of this forum has been a great help.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Our 2020 2450rl has a tongue weight of 980 to 1020 lbs. depending on whats in storage.
    We initially pulled with a ram 1500 and it was white knuckle time with sway and being blown
    by wind and big trucks. We skipped the Ram 2500 and went with the Ram 3500 which is
    complete overkill but we may upgrade to a larger TT. The Propride hitch helped with most of the sway.
    Hope this helps:
    Bob A.
    More complete explanation

Dana's reply reminded me of a few details about the 2450rl I should add.
    After we installed the ProPride hitch on our Ram 1500 and got it tuned up
    we could travel safely and in more comfort. The reason for our major TV
    upgrade is we want to take some major cross country trips and the 3500 diesel
    does not even strain with our 2450rl. Our 1500 had a payload of 1450 lbs and max limit of 12,300
    due to heavy duty differential. The 3500 payload is 3737 and max limit of 13,300.
    The 2450rl hitch weight and the 200 lbs of WDH along with battery and 2 propane
    tanks and home style mattress made it a little too close to max for comfort. For short (200 miles or less)
    trips the 1500 would have sufficed.

We also had the auto leveling and it helps to level the truck and trailer
    but does nothing to reduce weights.

Yes, I have weighed our rig 4 or 5 times while I was fine tuning the WDH.

In summary, just like Dana said, getting your WDH set up properly is of utmost importance.
    Be aware of your TV limits and work within those limits.
    Bob A.
    Last edited by attaboy; 12-12-2020 at 06:28 AM.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm towing a 2600 RB with a Ram 1500 4x2 CC Hemi. Similar in weight to the 2500RL. It has been towing ok for a little over 2000 miles so far. I am planning on hitting the scales this morning on my way to a weekend trip so I should have some numbers next week.
    I'm thinking I am pretty much maxed out, but I hope I am under because I don't want to buy another truck since this is mostly a daily driver.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asking what other people are towing a particular trailer with is not terribly useful. Not everyone is towing with a capable vehicle and may feel the need to justify their own decisions. The better question to ask is, "What is your loaded tongue weight?" Then you take all the numbers from your truck's door sticker, the GD web site for the trailer, and take into consideration the loaded tongue weights you get from others and enter them here:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I owned a 2500RL for 2 years. Pulling it around the 4 corners & our area highways. I just sold this RV to my sister who lives up in Craig CO. I pulled this RV to Moab the other day with my F-250. From Dove Creek to Montecello Utah is nothing but long rolling up & down hills. The 3/4 ton pulled the RV spot on. Half ton not so much. Semi's blow by from the other direction & definately will blow you around with a half ton, but not with a 3/4 ton. We met our people at Moab & unhooked the RV. My borther in law hooked it up to his 3/4ton Dodge Cummings Diesel. Point being: no half ton pull for him either. Me & him have been at this for a long time. And we both know its better to over truck a little than to under truck. Esp if you are traveling many miles over many days. It reduces stress level way down. Hope that this helps.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 2500rl and have towed it about 5k miles over the last year with a 2018 f150 platinum/3.5 ecoboost. The engine has no issue at all with pulling this thing. Where we get close is on payload. We have about 1630 payload capacity and the with a tongue weight of about 1000 that does not leave a lot of extra payload (I'm 6'6" and 260lbs so that eats a lot of it right there). Having the kids join or bringing fire pit or generator or extra water etc... are all challenges.

Bottom line the truck tows it just fine, with the occasional porpoising, but I've just ordered a new f250 7.3 tremor because I want the freedom to bring whatever I want with me and not be over gvwr. I'd hate to get in an accident or something and have my insurance walk away because of that.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have towed our 2600 with a 2019 F-150 5.0L RWD and were getting too close to max payload for the truck. We normally make a trip out west every summer and even with the big engine going up could be a slow climb and down could be a bit hard on the brakes, even when downshifting. We've moved on to a F-250 6.7 turbo diesel RWD and have plenty of capacity. Mountain climbs are no longer an issue and the engine brake make downhill much easier. And our MPG is about 30% better.

It's a decision you need to make. But I don't recommend going with the trailer salesman's "you can tow this with no problem " because he isn't going to be riding with you. And most dealer salesmen aren't necessarily well versed in what you need . Go to the Ford, Chevy, Ram, or Tundra website and check out their towing chart. Make sure you look at the vehicle size (is it a 2 door or 4 door, size of box), engine and gearing. If you haven't been to one of these sites, you'll be surprised .

And keep in mind, should you be in an accident and your insurance company checks out your payload + trailer weight, if you are over they can deny any and all claims. You want to be safe. Remember, it's you and your family who will depend on a vehicle that will be safe while towing.
    Last edited by more tired since retired; 12-12-2020 at 07:29 PM.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast