User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experience leaving current 5th wheel pin box assembly and using gooseneck adaptor

Looking for some solid information here. I have read several other threads regarding the change from traditional 5th wheel pin box to gooseneck pin box for towing. Most have opted to changeout the whole pin box (think Reese or Gen Y) but I have not found much on using adaptors that leave the oem pin box in place and bolt on or weld on a gooseneck adaptor. Right now I have a Superglide traditional hitch which must weigh 200+ pounds and takes up much of my truck bed. I'd love to lose the weight and have my truck bed back. I have looked at the Convert-a-ball coupler system, Convert-a-ball offset coupler etc. Will these stand up to my 13,360+ pound Solitude???
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding a solid, vertical gooseneck adapter to an existing pin box is an extremely poor idea. Fifth wheel RV frames and the pin box mounts are not designed or constructed to take the torsional forces associated with the type of adapter you are describing. It will also void the chassis warranty on your RV. If you must go "gooseneck," go with the Reese GooseBox - much better ride and won't void your warranty.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 12-12-2020 at 07:24 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Adding a solid, vertical gooseneck adapter to an existing pin box is an extremely poor idea. Fifth wheel RV frames and the pin box mounts are not designed or constructed to take the torsional forces associated with the type of adapter you are describing. It will also void the chassis warranty on your RV. If you must go "gooseneck," go with the Lippert GooseBox - much better ride and won't void your warranty.

Rob
    I totally agree !!!!

If you search YouTube for "GooseBox Hitch" and find a video that shows the GooseBox in action, you can see how the GooseBox transfers the load forces from the Goose Ball into the GooseBox hitch and air bag, mitigating much of the energy coming from the camper. This "transfer of force" is what makes the GooseBox such a smooth riding hitch.

We absolutely Love Our GooseBox !!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, look at the size of the frame members on a gooseneck trailer. They're designed to handle the forces generated by that gooseneck connection. Go with the Goosebox if you want to retain the factory frame warranty.

One word of caution. I've read more than few stories now from Goosebox owners with retractable bed covers who say that the Goosebox will tend to hit the rails of the bed cover if you articulate it too much or turn too sharply. The rails of the bed cover are slightly raised and also extend inward just enough so that the vertical member of the Goosebox is able to hit it. I was all set to buy a Goosebox but I have a Retrax Mx metal bedcover and I don't want the rails messed up.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you must go "gooseneck," go with the Lippert GooseBox
    Not to split hairs, but Reese makes the Goose Box. It's approved by Lippert for use with their frames but Lippert doesn't make them.

To OP, I agree with everything said here by others. The adapter acts as a lever on the pinbox and wants to twist it in ways it wasn't designed to be twisted. From all my reading it sounds like it's a mixed bag of results....some have had no issues and some have had frame cracking problems.
    Last edited by thunder550; 12-12-2020 at 06:42 AM.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, CCSB 4x4, LBZ Duramax
    B&W Turnover Ball with 4" offset

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option could be the Andersen. Mine is aluminum and rated at 24,000#. It only weighs about 40#, so it is light enough to just lift out of the truck and hang on the garage wall if I need the bed. It sits over a ball in the bed, which is also very easy to remove. There is an adapter cup that you put over the kingpin, and it sits on a ball that is the top of the hitch in the bed. The cup adapter is slightly offset from the position of the kingpin, so you can put it in either the forward clearance position (which gives you a longer overall length to the truck and trailer and better cab clearance, or the aft clearance position, which gives an overall shorter length to the truck and trailer and better siderail clearance

We use the aft position, as we have an in-bed roll-up bed cover. No problems with clearing that, and I can turn sharper than I would want to (don’t need the extra strain on the trailer suspension that you get with a tight turn).
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder550 View Post
    Not to split hairs, but Reese makes the Goose Box. It's approved by Lippert for use with their frames but Lippert doesn't make them.

To OP, I agree with everything said here by others. The adapter acts as a lever on the pinbox and wants to twist it in ways it wasn't designed to be twisted. From all my reading it sounds like it's a mixed bag of results....some have had no issues and some have had frame cracking problems.
    Thanks - I misspoke. I should have said that Reese and Lippert are in bed together in terms of business agreements...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experience leaving current 5th wheel pin box assembly and using gooseneck adaptor

I used the convert a ball with my previous 5th wheel only 1 time. I was all excited when I got it because I got the bed of my truck back. Got it all installed and towed the trailer for 2 1/2 hours. During the tow, the trailer felt unstable (might have just been me). Lots of noise from that connection also. Went to park the trailer and king pin box caught the side of bed where I have a American roll top bed cover rails. I was very unhappy. Hauled the trailer home and experienced the “unstable trailer” feel again.

The next day I pulled the convert a ball off and replaced it with the AUH. Then moved the AUH system to my new GD 31mb and have been a happy camper every since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rgkeaney; 12-12-2020 at 07:38 AM.
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made the original post. Thank you everyone for responding. At this point I will go with the goose box.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"