User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmullin View Post
    @JustDucky, odd coincidence. I literally just pulled my batteries out today to bring them home to charge. 1 week old GD 5th wheel. I have no idea why batteries died so fast while trailer was in storage.

I'll work on they problem after starting with freshly charged batteries...and after the snow on top of the solar panel has melted.

I read the same warning note in the Furrion manual that you referred to. I called GD Customer Support today and their answer was to just pull the battery disconnect key, and then remove the batteries.

I hope they gave me the right instructions. Please report back if you hear different.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Mmullin - I just talked with the dealer. They said to push the off button on the controller and disconnect the battery. I see a new reply from "powerscol" and he says in more detail what the manual says. However, I see no circuit breakers on either side of the controller, which means physically pulling the solar panel wires out of the controller first, then disconnecting the battery. A lot of work.. not hard, but "really?"
    Bill
    2021 C-2500HD Duramax; B&W Champion; Reese Airborne Sidewinder
    2022 341RDS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    The proper order is to disconnect solar panels first, then disconnect the controller from the batterys. A proper install should have circuit breakers between the panels and the controller and between the controller an the batterys, or at a minimum switches. Both positive and negative shout be disconnected.

Then in the spring connect the controller to the batterys before connecting the solar panels.
    Thanks Powerscol for the info. After thinking about this for a few minutes I think if I have to pull wires off the controller, I might as well order some disconnect switches and install them as you advise so in the future removing the battery won't be as much work.
    Bill
    2022 341RDS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Powrscol, since GD didn't include all those other steps you mentioned and I've already disconnected the batteries, what's the potential consequences?

Mike and Rebecca Mullin, Bend OR
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2001 Chev 2500 HD, 8.1-liter gas, 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Powrscol, since GD didn't include all those other steps you mentioned and I've already disconnected the batteries, what's the potential consequences?

Probably not a problem if that's what GD said to do. The procedure above was for my Victron MPPT controllers and per wiring diagrams on proper solar installation that can be found on most solar panel sites like AMsolar, etc. and other RV sites.

However it is always good to fuse or circuit breaker the solar panels anyway (they can short out) and have something in the line from the GD Jamboni solar controller unit just in case something goes wrong. If it shorts it has full battery amperage fed to it without a breaker/fuse in between.
    Just my thoughts

On edit - what does the GD provided solar controller operators/installation manual say (or look on line for it if GD did not provide).
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably not a problem if that's what GD said to do. The procedure above was for my Victron MPPT controllers and per wiring diagrams on proper solar installation that can be found on most solar panel sites like AMsolar, etc. and other RV sites.

However it is always good to fuse or circuit breaker the solar panels anyway (they can short out) and have something in the line from the GD Jamboni solar controller unit just in case something goes wrong. If it shorts it has full battery amperage fed to it without a breaker/fuse in between.
    Just my thoughts

On edit - what does the GD provided solar controller operators/installation manual say (or look on line for it if GD did not provide).
    It's a Furrion Net-Zero MPPT Solar Charge Controller. Furrion Customer Service isn't offering a live person right now and auto attendant says to email them. The Furrion manual just says "Never connect the solar panel array to the controller without connecting a battery to the controller first." So by extrapolation I was/am concerned that removing the battery from the system might be a problem. I'll end up emailing Furrion just to see what they say and I'll probably call Grand Design back and ask why the discrepancy in the written documentation versus their answer.

Mike and Rebecca Mullin, Bend OR
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2001 Chev 2500 HD, 8.1-liter gas, 4x4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a Furrion Net-Zero MPPT Solar Charge Controller. Furrion Customer Service isn't offering a live person right now and auto attendant says to email them. The Furrion manual just says "Never connect the solar panel array to the controller without connecting a battery to the controller first." So by extrapolation I was/am concerned that removing the battery from the system might be a problem. I'll end up emailing Furrion just to see what they say and I'll probably call Grand Design back and ask why the discrepancy in the written documentation versus their answer.

I agree that having circuit protection on each side of the controller makes great sense, as well as having disconnect switches, but when the factory and dealer say something very different then the manufacturer of the device in question... it kinda gets your attention - don't it?
    Bill
    2022 341RDS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my thoughts

Just an update on the disconnecting of the battery procedure... After closer inspection I found that the bus bar that all the electrical connections are attached to actually has circuit breakers in it, so the wire coming from the solar controller to the battery DOES indeed have a CB between the charger and the battery. However there is no fuse, breaker or switch between the Solar panels and the the Solar charger. I think the cheapest solution to that is to put an automatic reset CB in the 8ga positive line just before the Solar charger. Amazon - (Fastronix 15A 12V Type 1 Automatic Reset Circuit Breaker with Cover) You'll still have to pull the wire off this CB, but that's easier than trying to take it out of the Solar controller.
    Bill
    2022 341RDS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123