User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Factory Solar not charging batteries

We purchased our "retirement" camper this summer, a 2021 310-GK, but by the time we got it there was only time to take one trip. So much to learn about 5th wheels...
    Anyway, it's winterized now and in checking in on our "new baby" this week I noticed the batteries are dead. With the old travel trailer, I took out the battery and connected it to a battery tender. Since the new camper has the factory installed solar system, I was under the impression it would keep the batteries changed (which was the primary reason for buying it). I know (Ok, I think I know) the system was working before so was surprised to find them dead and wonder if there is something I forgot to do? Unfortunately, the information provided on the solar system is lacking, to put it nicely so I'm at a loss and would appreciate any guidance from those far more knowledgeable.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

Is the charge controller on and set to the proper battery type (lead-acid, AGM, lithium)? Are you getting readings on the charge controller showing that it's getting input from the solar panel and what the charge current to the battery is? Did you happen to turn off the battery disconnect switch? Check those things and get back to us...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the prompt response Rob and thank you for your service. Sorry it's taken me a bit to respond but it was raining this morning and I had to figure out what the Charge Controller is.

First off, I confirmed the battery disconnect switches (there are two) are both on. Looking at the charge controller remote, it's dark and will not power up. After identifying what the Charge Controller looks like, I can only say the blue status light is blinking fast, which the manual identifies as a "faulty condition". I checked one battery and it's dead. Since its a pain in the ********** getting the cover off, I'm assuming the other one is to. I went to connect my shore power and am now trying to get the power cable off of the reel since it's dependent on the 12 VDC system. Ugh...

My immediate plan is to recharge the batteries and see if perhaps we left something on in the camper which drained the batteries.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllGood! View Post
    Thanks for the prompt response Rob and thank you for your service. Sorry it's taken me a bit to respond but it was raining this morning and I had to figure out what the Charge Controller is.

First off, I confirmed the battery disconnect switches (there are two) are both on. Looking at the charge controller remote, it's dark and will not power up. After identifying what the Charge Controller looks like, I can only say the blue status light is blinking fast, which the manual identifies as a "faulty condition". I checked one battery and it's dead. Since its a pain in the ********** getting the cover off, I'm assuming the other one is to. I went to connect my shore power and am now trying to get the power cable off of the reel since it's dependent on the 12 VDC system. Ugh...

My immediate plan is to recharge the batteries and see if perhaps we left something on in the camper which drained the batteries.
    Forum hint: it's not an issue since we're the only two on this thread at the moment, but I like to use the "Reply With Quote" when responding to someone. That way, the person with whom you're interacting will get a notice.

Now... it sounds like the issue is with the charge controller, then. First, like you said, I would get it hooked up to shore power and see if you can save the batteries (lead-acid batteries don't survive being drawn down past a certain point). I would then call GD on Monday morning and get something started with them to troubleshoot the charge controller.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Forum hint: it's not an issue since we're the only two on this thread at the moment, but I like to use the "Reply With Quote" when responding to someone. That way, the person with whom you're interacting will get a notice.

Now... it sounds like the issue is with the charge controller, then. First, like you said, I would get it hooked up to shore power and see if you can save the batteries (lead-acid batteries don't survive being drawn down past a certain point). I would then call GD on Monday morning and get something started with them to troubleshoot the charge controller.

Rob
    Thanks for the hint and the advice. I was in the process of taking to power cord off of the reel when it started to rain again. Just can't believe there isn't a mechanical disconnect on a system like that for when power isn't available? Anyway, I too am worried about being able to save the new batteries and what kind of condition they'll be in going forward. I'll follow your advice and reach out to GD on Monday and hope for an easy solution.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the hint and the advice. I was in the process of taking to power cord off of the reel when it started to rain again. Just can't believe there isn't a mechanical disconnect on a system like that for when power isn't available? Anyway, I too am worried about being able to save the new batteries and what kind of condition they'll be in going forward. I'll follow your advice and reach out to GD on Monday and hope for an easy solution.
    The other place to look for information is the big folder that came with the trailer.
    Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    The other place to look for information is the big folder that came with the trailer.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks powerscol; if you're referring to the Owner's Manual, it was the first place I looked. Unfortunately, the "Solar Power Charging System (If So Equipped)" section in the manual is limited to two small unhelpful paragraphs. I did receive additional documents for some of the systems components, but not all and have had to search for them on-line.

I did get the power cord off of the reel and connected to shore power. I then checked the status indicator light on the charge controller and it is now a steady (non-flashing) blue like. In addition, the remote is displaying input values from the solar panel and the battery charge status. I didn't find anything that was left on so I'm still at a loss as to what drained the batteries and why the solar changing system would shutdown but will follow Rob's advice and contact GD tomorrow.

Tom

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't find anything that was left on so I'm still at a loss as to what drained the batteries and why the solar changing system would shutdown but will follow Rob's advice and contact GD tomorrow.
    There is parasitic drain on the batteries from a few items in the RV even with the battery disconnect switch off (red battery disconnect handle can be removed). This is a VERY common problem that catches many (most?) new Grand Design owners by surprise.

As for the factory 300w solar system - Did you turn the solar system on using the remote control panel when you bought the RV and then configure it for your battery type? Also, how much sun hits the panels where you have your RV parked?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks powerscol; if you're referring to the Owner's Manual, it was the first place I looked. Unfortunately, the "Solar Power Charging System (If So Equipped)" section in the manual is limited to two small unhelpful paragraphs. I did receive additional documents for some of the systems components, but not all and have had to search for them on-line.

I did get the power cord off of the reel and connected to shore power. I then checked the status indicator light on the charge controller and it is now a steady (non-flashing) blue like. In addition, the remote is displaying input values from the solar panel and the battery charge status. I didn't find anything that was left on so I'm still at a loss as to what drained the batteries and why the solar changing system would shutdown but will follow Rob's advice and contact GD tomorrow.

Tom
    Brian is correct about the parasitic drain. Ones I know of of are all of the detectors - smoke, propane, etc. I have also heard the radio is powered in the background. For storage I just pull the negative terminal off of the battery.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does the factory "Solar Power Charging System (If So Equipped)" come with? 300w panel and what else? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast