User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased a 2400BH this past Feb and it has the 15" westlake's. Haven't noticed any issues and truly don't want to experience a blow out! On the fence about replacing them since it is a big cost but can you put a price on safety? Plus there are lots of extenuating circumstance's. If proper speed and pressure is maintained religiously, is the rate of failure drastically reduced??? Do those who have had issues push the limits of speed, weight and properly maintained pressure? And after replacing with, for example, good-year endurance, how many people will say they've had X amount of issues with those as well leaving a rookie like me doubting my purchase. Just thinking out loud...... don't mind me..... :-)
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    We purchased a 2400BH this past Feb and it has the 15" westlake's. Haven't noticed any issues and truly don't want to experience a blow out! On the fence about replacing them since it is a big cost but can you put a price on safety? Plus there are lots of extenuating circumstance's. If proper speed and pressure is maintained religiously, is the rate of failure drastically reduced??? Do those who have had issues push the limits of speed, weight and properly maintained pressure? And after replacing with, for example, good-year endurance, how many people will say they've had X amount of issues with those as well leaving a rookie like me doubting my purchase. Just thinking out loud...... don't mind me..... :-)
    If you do decide to replace your tires I would recommend you go to a 15” E rated tire which is a 10 ply tire. The 15” Westlakes are D rated which is only an 8 ply tire. The E rated tire will hold up better and better support the weight of the trailer.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    If you do decide to replace your tires I would recommend you go to a 15” E rated tire which is a 10 ply tire. The 15” Westlakes are D rated which is only an 8 ply tire. The E rated tire will hold up better and better support the weight of the trailer.
    The price of safety is a very important question.
    The price of repairing damage to your 2400BH in case of a blowout is
    a consideration, depending on your deductable.
    Safe travels:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as you have the Westlake E tires there are three things that are important to do. Watch the weight do not exceed their capacity. Two is always check their pressure. Three is do not go over the speed rating on them. Stay a little below the speed they are rated for. E rated Westlakes have the highest failure rate. If you don't maintain those three things you could have a problem. Their have been many failures but there have been many people who have had them for a long time without a problem. How many people who had problems hadn't maintained them properly is hard to say, but there have been people who have taken care of them and still had a problem. That means it is a decision you have to make but so long as you have them take care of them, and keep an eye on them. We had them on our 303 for three years. Then inspecting them one day we found a separation in the tread. Luckily we caught it before it did any damage.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    . . .
    The 15” Westlakes are D rated which is only an 8 ply tire.
    . . .
    The 15“ Westlakes on my 2600RB are E rated.
    No problem with them thus far.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the information about this. We are new to GD and this forum. We purchased a 2019 Momentum 21 G last spring and it has the factory Westlake 15" E series tires. We've been out a few times near our maximum capacity with no issues but these rigs are expensive. Every one is talking Goodyear as a replacement, are there others with a good track record? We have big plans next warm season and might need to save up to replace these questionable tires.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dixon View Post
    Thanks for all the information about this. We are new to GD and this forum. We purchased a 2019 Momentum 21 G last spring and it has the factory Westlake 15" E series tires. We've been out a few times near our maximum capacity with no issues but these rigs are expensive. Every one is talking Goodyear as a replacement, are there others with a good track record? We have big plans next warm season and might need to save up to replace these questionable tires.
    You could also look at the Carlisle Radial Trail HD or the Maxxis trailer tires. Both seem to have a good reputation and very few problems reported. I need to replace mine in the spring but mine are 16" so might also look at the Sailun S637 but it is way overkill for my trailer so will likely go Carlisle as they are easier to get here in Canada than Maxxis. Had both Maxxis and Carlisle HD on my previous trailer and never had an issue with either one.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one would ever admit to doing anything wrong

I am sure speed is one of the biggest issues

People just don’t know to drive slow

I see it everyday

Been trailering for decades and haven’t had an issue

Unsure why people think “good year” is the go to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Six weeks ago with a little more than a week left on my last trip a Westlake 15" LR "E" tire let go, no warning, no visible sign of failure pending as I was at a rest stop less than an hour earlier and did my walk around. The tires had just clocked 11,000 miles and were looking to wear well, I have been adamant about inspections due to all the feedback. Fortunately it was on a highway overpass so I had room to pull over on the on-ramp. South Carolina doesn't give much for a shoulder on Rt 95. Since I had no faith in them after, four new tires were installed while on the road. Westlake did cover the tire under warranty, sort of. They gave a choice of a new tire or $105 reimbursement, what they figure their bulk rate cost is for the tire, nothing more. I had new tires and I wasn't wanting another Westlake so it was the money. That five year warranty is for the birds and adding insult to injury I have $1900 coming due in parts and labor to fix my trailer.
    My trailer is no where near overloaded and the load rating afforded these tires should give a very comfortable margin. Although they are rated to 75 MPH I rarely do more than 65.
    So you can count me as one who agrees Westlake tires leave much to be desired and safety is a concern.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-20-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Six weeks ago with a little more than a week left on my last trip a Westlake 15" LR "E" tire let go, no warning, no visible sign of failure pending as I was at a rest stop less than an hour earlier and did my walk around. The tires had just clocked 11,000 miles and were looking to wear well, I have been adamant about inspections due to all the feedback. Fortunately it was on a highway overpass so I had room to pull over on the on-ramp. South Carolina doesn't give much for a shoulder on Rt 95. Since I had no faith in them after, four new tires were installed while on the road. Westlake did cover the tire under warranty, sort of. They gave a choice of a new tire or $105 reimbursement, what they figure their bulk rate cost is for the tire, nothing more. I had new tires and I wasn't wanting another Westlake so it was the money. That five year warranty is for the birds and adding insult to injury I have $1900 coming due in parts and labor to fix my trailer.
    My trailer is no where near overloaded and the load rating afforded these tires should give a very comfortable margin. Although they are rated to 75 MPH I rarely do more than 65.
    So you can count me as one who agrees Westlake tires leave much to be desired and safety is a concern.

I have trouble believing the 75 speed rating on the E class Westlakes. When we bought our 303 6 years ago the speed rating was only 65.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast