User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlake Tires are JUNK and a safety hazard.

Purchased a new 2600RB a few months ago. It came with the Westlake tires on it. I figured I would be able to sneak in a few trips before upgrading to the Good Year Endurance. Well, that wasn't remotely close to reality. The trash tires that came on the trailer lasted two trips and roughly 250 miles. The tread is splitting and peeling off of one of the tires. Hopefully Grand Design pulls their head out and realize that cutting corners to reduce costs creates safety risks; especially in the form of tires. I HIGHLY recommend upgrading your tires immediately if your trailer comes with Westlakes. I can already here numerous people saying "they've never had a problem with Westlakes," and "have driven a million miles on them," and so on and so forth. To those folks: good for you, and consider yourself lucky. I'd rather not leave the safety of my family and to all those on the road to luck; and I can imagine most will agree. I off-road here in Southern California all the time, so the lecture on tire pressure is not needed. Safe travels!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_77081.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	31084

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought they had a no questions asked warranty on those...but yeah, can't disagree
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Branden.Gray View Post
    Purchased a new 2600RB a few months ago. It came with the Westlake tires on it. I figured I would be able to sneak in a few trips before upgrading to the Good Year Endurance. Well, that wasn't remotely close to reality. The trash tires that came on the trailer lasted two trips and roughly 250 miles. The tread is splitting and peeling off of one of the tires. Hopefully Grand Design pulls their head out and realize that cutting corners to reduce costs creates safety risks; especially in the form of tires. I HIGHLY recommend upgrading your tires immediately if your trailer comes with Westlakes. I can already here numerous people saying "they've never had a problem with Westlakes," and "have driven a million miles on them," and so on and so forth. To those folks: good for you, and consider yourself lucky. I'd rather not leave the safety of my family and to all those on the road to luck; and I can imagine most will agree. I off-road here in Southern California all the time, so the lecture on tire pressure is not needed. Safe travels!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_77081.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	31084
    First post and already bashing Grand Design. Maybe you should read more. GD is now using GY Endurance Contact Lionshead and get your money for replacement with what you want.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's actually pretty well known, at least on this forum, how junky those tires are, with the exception of the G rated version. There are numerous discussions on the failures of Westlakes and options for replacement. Just do a search for Westlake on the forum and you should find some of those discussions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew about the questionable record of the "E" rated Westlake tires way back in late 2015 when we ordered our 2016 Reflection. It only took a few minutes of research. I replaced those tires the day we took delivery. I'm surprised a new 2600RB came with Westlake E rated tires. I thought Grand Design switched to the Goodyear Endurance at least a year ago.
    Last edited by bertschb; 12-12-2020 at 05:56 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    First post and already bashing Grand Design. Maybe you should read more. GD is now using GY Endurance Contact Lionshead and get your money for replacement with what you want.
    Bashing the tire choice, not the entire Grand Design brand. There is a reason that I have a Grand Design after a year of researching brands and models. When it comes to cutting corners on safety, I will gladly pass along information, if it's taking as bashing the brand; so be it. Read plenty of discussions and was already well aware of the problems with these tires. Just assumed that Grand Design had made the switch to something remotely satisfactory.
    Last edited by Branden.Gray; 12-12-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    It's actually pretty well known, at least on this forum, how junky those tires are, with the exception of the G rated version. There are numerous discussions on the failures of Westlakes and options for replacement. Just do a search for Westlake on the forum and you should find some of those discussions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I was well aware of how bad these tires are. The aim was solely to add another image of a failing tire that is essentially brand new, to serve as a reminder to those finding their new trailer on Westlakes.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post as i recently bought the same trailer. Curious what the DOT date code was on these.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    This is news to me. I have a new 2600RB, built during October with Westlakes, and discovered that the tread on one of them was severely scuffed (chewed up) during my PDI. I'm still waiting for a replacement.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Branden.Gray View Post
    I was well aware of how bad these tires are. The aim was solely to add another image of a failing tire that is essentially brand new, to serve as a reminder to those finding their new trailer on Westlakes.
    We replaced our Westlakes with GY Endurance at ~1,500 miles. Didn’t have an issue but wasn’t going to take a chance. We did the same with our previous Forest River Rockwood TT which had Castle Rock tires also distributed by Lionshead.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast