User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weigh Safe True Tow WDH review....

I purchased the Weigh Safe True Tow class 5 WDHO for use with our new Momentum 31G after seeing a few others with it. Really impressed with everything about it. Interesting design that allows the tongue/distributed weight to be adjusted with a large thru bolt in the head. WS has an app that you input several measurements including the trailer weight and the true tongue weigh as determined by the gauge on the head. The app then tells you what the exact distributed weight should be. So far, it's been spot on. Have this overview/review video up on our channel.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Terry, can you share your long term experience with this hitch? I am planning to buy it for my 29g and I am concerned the gauge will give out due to constant bumping and stuff going down the road. What are your thoughts on longevity of the setup? Thank you for the awesome review by the way!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ankur.jade View Post
    Hello Terry, can you share your long term experience with this hitch? I am planning to buy it for my 29g and I am concerned the gauge will give out due to constant bumping and stuff going down the road. What are your thoughts on longevity of the setup? Thank you for the awesome review by the way!
    Haven't really owned it long enough to have an actual long term review yet but so far I'm still impressed with it. Several guys on the Facebook groups have them and I've not heard of any problems at all with the hitch. There have been reports that the hitch head can contact the safety chains when the trailer is turned tight. I do have some marks on my chain and I plan to move the mounting point further back to remedy the issue. Nothing wrong with the hitch rather just the way that Grand Design welds the round bar that holds the safety chains is a bit too close for the hitch head.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for taking time to reply!

I saw on another YouTube video that they had to extend the safety chains. I think I would be okay doing that.

I also reached out to manufacturer and they said they would warranty any issue with Gauge for a year after that, I have to pay shipping both ways to get issues fixed. Something to think about for me.

Do you have any issues tightening the bolt? Do you feel that the screw will hold up to all the tightening and loosening?

After using it for a while, do you still need to rely on the app if the load doesn’t change in the camper? Do you start to get the feel for it without looking at the gauge after a while? In other hitches you learn some tricks like tightening it more less etc.

Thank you again for your thoughts!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ankur.jade View Post
    Thank you so much for taking time to reply!

I saw on another YouTube video that they had to extend the safety chains. I think I would be okay doing that.

I also reached out to manufacturer and they said they would warranty any issue with Gauge for a year after that, I have to pay shipping both ways to get issues fixed. Something to think about for me.

Do you have any issues tightening the bolt? Do you feel that the screw will hold up to all the tightening and loosening?

After using it for a while, do you still need to rely on the app if the load doesn’t change in the camper? Do you start to get the feel for it without looking at the gauge after a while? In other hitches you learn some tricks like tightening it more less etc.

Thank you again for your thoughts!

Likely the safety chains will have to be extended due to the longer head on the WS but that is a separate from the chain clearance issue.

There are grease zerks on the head. One for the adjustment bolt. Don't foresee any issue with it as long as it stays lubricated well. I adjust the bolt with a 1/2" drive ratchet and socket. No issue with turning it.

I still look at the app but pretty much know know what it's going to tell me. You definitely will get a feel for it.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Likely the safety chains will have to be extended due to the longer head on the WS but that is a separate from the chain clearance issue.

There are grease zerks on the head. One for the adjustment bolt. Don't foresee any issue with it as long as it stays lubricated well. I adjust the bolt with a 1/2" drive ratchet and socket. No issue with turning it.

I still look at the app but pretty much know know what it's going to tell me. You definitely will get a feel for it.
    Hello Terry,

Fantastic videos and mods for the 31G! Thank you for sharing your experiences and product insight...

Have a question on handling with your new hitch and trailer setup....if you will.

We are considering downsizing from a 44’ 5th wheel that pulls like an absolute dream and like yourselves...have taken a shine to the 31G.

Then we recall our first TT and the sway that went with it.

How is the combination of the Weigh Safe hitch and the 31G working for you? How is the sway? General handling? We like long distance trips now and again and are somewhat apprehensive about a bumper pull again...but, the 31G is ticking too many boxes for us to ignore.

Our tow vehicle is pretty much identical to yours. 15’ Ram DRW 4D long bed w/ factory airbags.

Any experience or insights are greatly appreciated as we mull this over.

Thank you,
    Kevin & Maria

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnovotny View Post
    Hello Terry,

Fantastic videos and mods for the 31G! Thank you for sharing your experiences and product insight...

Have a question on handling with your new hitch and trailer setup....if you will.

We are considering downsizing from a 44’ 5th wheel that pulls like an absolute dream and like yourselves...have taken a shine to the 31G.

Then we recall our first TT and the sway that went with it.

How is the combination of the Weigh Safe hitch and the 31G working for you? How is the sway? General handling? We like long distance trips now and again and are somewhat apprehensive about a bumper pull again...but, the 31G is ticking too many boxes for us to ignore.

Our tow vehicle is pretty much identical to yours. 15’ Ram DRW 4D long bed w/ factory airbags.

Any experience or insights are greatly appreciated as we mull this over.

Thank you,
    Kevin & Maria
    Thanks for the kind words! Glad you found the thread and the videos helpful. I enjoy doing the mods and making the videos.

We have pulled ours in about every configuration you could imagine. With and without water, with and without the SXS etc... We have had zero sway issues. I'm completely happy with the Weigh Safe's performance. I have never had a 5th wheel but have had many tag trailers, race trailers and such and it pulls as well as anything I have ever owned. The CRE3000 equalizers and the wet bolt kit/shackles made a significant difference in how the trailer feels. Much smoother after those additions and I highly suggest them. We are a bit overweight with the mods, full of water and camping supplies including the SXS but still maintain less than 12k on the axles. Overall I am perfectly happy with our setup. As you know, the Ram is a beast and it pulls the trailer very, very well.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the quick reply!

Great to hear that your setup is performing to expectations. It’s not often you get to pick the brain of someone with an identical setup before purchasing...for that we are grateful.

Enjoy your future travels and keep that Honda rubber side down.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnovotny View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply!

Great to hear that your setup is performing to expectations. It’s not often you get to pick the brain of someone with an identical setup before purchasing...for that we are grateful.

Enjoy your future travels and keep that Honda rubber side down.
    Thanks again! I have been know to crash in the past but now that the wife is riding shotgun I keep it a little more sane.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not so safe weigh safe

It's my 5th rv and my second momentum toy hauler. Decided not to listen to my camping buddies and purchased the Weigh Safe distribution hitch. BIG NOT SO SAFE mistake. Had is all installed, used the app. Drove 6 hours no issues, then made a slight turn on a maintained hard packed road. 2 minutes in driving 15 mph big boom and the results are in the picture. I bought the entire system from Weigh Safe directly including all the pins and locks. No refund just wanted to send replacement parts. Are you kidding me???
    I was towing 10500lbs with my RZR inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220914_113126_resized.jpg   20220914_112821_resized.jpg   20220914_080033_resized.jpg   20220914_113552_resized.jpg   20220914_160411_resized.jpg  

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast