User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High Pitch Harmonic noise when heater kicks on

We have a 2019 Reflections 303RLS 5th Wheel. We noticed when the interior heater kicks on (propane or electric), the heater makes a high pitch noise that gets louder as it runs. We’re afraid this noise will wake-up the campground and every dog within a mile radius of our FW. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem since the repair shop said they couldn’t replicate the noise. They probably didn’t let it run long enough.

The best way I can describe the noise is a high pitch harmonic sound that gets louder the longer it’s on like a tea kettle. I appreciate any suggestions on what to check since this is a show-stopper with any cold weather camping. We want to be good neighbors and happy campers and not start a howl fest.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 F350 SD Diesel, 6 3/4’ Box
    B&W Gooseneck ATU

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJonesteam View Post
    We have a 2019 Reflections 303RLS 5th Wheel. We noticed when the interior heater kicks on (propane or electric), the heater makes a high pitch noise that gets louder as it runs. We’re afraid this noise will wake-up the campground and every dog within a mile radius of our FW. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem since the repair shop said they couldn’t replicate the noise. They probably didn’t let it run long enough.

The best way I can describe the noise is a high pitch harmonic sound that gets louder the longer it’s on like a tea kettle. I appreciate any suggestions on what to check since this is a show-stopper with any cold weather camping. We want to be good neighbors and happy campers and not start a howl fest.

Thanks!

Have you checked whether that sound is actually noticeable outside the rig? Our furnace sometimes does the same thing when the propane in the tank is low. But, you can't hear it outside.

My husband thinks it might also be the bearings in the blower fan. We had to replace the fan once in the 4 years we've had our rig.

BTW, the furnace runs on propane, even when plugged in to power, the fireplace runs on electric - which are you talking about? The fan on the blower runs on 12V from the battery.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 12-12-2020 at 10:01 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll need to inspect the squirrel cage ( Fan ) to be sure it is spinning free without obstruction or debris caught in it. While it's open run it to see if you can locate the source. I'll put a finger on a dry or siezing bearing on the fan shaft.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We recently purchased a 2021 Reflection 303RLS and I noticed the the same noise the first night we slept in it.

It is coming from the general area of the propane tank and I would describe it as a “ harmonic” as well. It is a high pitched noise that I would describe as noise from the propane flowing through the valve/hose.

I have noticed that the heater/blower starts first and the noise doesn’t start until the gas ignites so, I do not think it is a bearing.

I have no idea if it can be heard outside the trailer. I have tried opening and closing the propane tank valve to see if changing the flow would change the noise but, it hasn’t had any effect.

I’d be interested to hear of anyone else’s thoughts or experience with this

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if you can narrow the sound down to the area of the LP regulator in the port (driver's side) tank compartment - they are well known for making this noise.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Have you checked whether that sound is actually noticeable outside the rig? Our furnace sometimes does the same thing when the propane in the tank is low. But, you can't hear it outside.

My husband thinks it might also be the bearings in the blower fan. We had to replace the fan once in the 4 years we've had our rig.

BTW, the furnace runs on propane, even when plugged in to power, the fireplace runs on electric - which are you talking about? The fan on the blower runs on 12V from the battery.
    Propane heater and yes, it’s very loud outside our rig. The blower fan could definitely be the issue. We’ll check that out, thanks!

2019 Reflection 303RLS
    B&W Gooseneck ATU

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyATLCamper View Post
    We recently purchased a 2021 Reflection 303RLS and I noticed the the same noise the first night we slept in it.

It is coming from the general area of the propane tank and I would describe it as a “ harmonic” as well. It is a high pitched noise that I would describe as noise from the propane flowing through the valve/hose.

I have noticed that the heater/blower starts first and the noise doesn’t start until the gas ignites so, I do not think it is a bearing.

I have no idea if it can be heard outside the trailer. I have tried opening and closing the propane tank valve to see if changing the flow would change the noise but, it hasn’t had any effect.

We have been searching for this noise, it’s really frustrating. If you figure-out where it’s coming from please respond back to this forum. Thank you!

2019 Reflection 303RLS
    B&W Gooseneck ATU

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyATLCamper View Post

Sounds like the noise I had with my 2020 337 which came from the pressure regulator on the passenger side. I always knew when the tanks switched from the driver side to the passenger side because the squealing would start. Part of the problem is the regulator is bolted to the metal wall which makes a great sounding board. Putting a rag behind the regulator made it no so loud. I replaced the regulator for about $15 and solved the problem.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ That's where mine squeals when the oven is on. ^^^
    Frank & PJ
    2018 303 RLS
    2004 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4x4 Sierra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s funny...I just switched tanks from the driver’s side to passenger side and that noise started (high pitched sound changing tone). Had a warranty appointment already scheduled and added that to the list. They thought it was good after checking and greasing squirrel cage but as soon as I got it back, turned it on and still there. Noise is isolated to right front so this makes total sense. Changing tanks back tomorrow. Thanks for the info! Kevin