User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Thanks for such a detailed explanation. My tires are Load Range E (3520 at max psi), which exceeds my max axle rating by nearly 1000 pounds (2600 per tire) so very close to 75% capacity.

Per your logic, which makes sense to me, at my max axle capacity of 5200 per, I could go as low as 60 psi and if I ran at max GVWR, it would increase tire load by about 150 lbs per tire or about 78% of max load or about 62.4 psi.

I agree with the others that the absolute safest is to run max pressure, it eliminates all this, but what you say makes absolute sense.
    Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate that. I'd like to make a couple of additional points here. Running at a psi less than the sticker on the trailer is possible...but, two things come to mind regarding that line of thinking. 1. The only way to know for sure, the safe psi to run, is to have the trailer weighed at a specialize scale that can weigh individual tires....not just the total trailer weight on the tires. There are a few companies around that can do this, but it is definitely NOT something you see every day. The second thing about running at reduced pressure, even if your were able to get an individual weight on a per tire basis is this. You still have no way of knowing how much decreased load capacity you have if the tire in not new....let's say it's maybe 6 months old, 2 years, three years old. How much have you lost from the original load capacity rating? The other issue that comes to mind is that of trailer weight and loading. Is the trailer the same exact weight and is it loaded exactly the way it was on the day that the individual tire weights were done? In my opinion, there are far too many variable to be dealing with in trying to calculate the reduced load capacity of a used tire and then try to figure out if the trailer is loaded the same way and if it's the same weight as before. All of that....vs.... just inflating the tire to the manufacturer's listed pressure on the safety plaquard on the trailer.....so much easier.....and probably, in the end, much safer overall.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks x and all of the others that have contributed to this. I have been reading about Westlakes for quite some time now, and just this summer my buddy had his explode on him. The damage to his trailer was substantial. I wanted to put to rest for me at least that this is not limited to the 15 inch tire size. You have all helped me understand that as well as very good reasons to just run per the placard, period.

My friend tried hard this past Sunday, but I stood my ground and feel good about running at the posted tore pressure.

Next year I see Goodyear Endurance on my trailer.

Thanks All!!! [emoji846]
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Thanks x and all of the others that have contributed to this. I have been reading about Westlakes for quite some time now, and just this summer my buddy had his explode on him. The damage to his trailer was substantial. I wanted to put to rest for me at least that this is not limited to the 15 inch tire size. You have all helped me understand that as well as very good reasons to just run per the placard, period.

My friend tried hard this past Sunday, but I stood my ground and feel good about running at the posted tore pressure.

Next year I see Goodyear Endurance on my trailer.

Thanks All!!! [emoji846]
    The best argument, in my mind, for replacing the Westlake E rated tires ( and mine were the 15") is the manner of failure reported widely and the subsequent damage to the affected trailers with far out weighs the warranty coverage of replacing a tire even before considering the safety issues. Replacing the load range E west lakes is a no brainer.
    I say this despite having to replace a nearly new Goodyear endurance as it developed a sidewall bubble and no warranty coverage for Goodyear trailer tires. At least no damage to the trailer resulted .
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    The best argument, in my mind, for replacing the Westlake E rated tires ( and mine were the 15") is the manner of failure reported widely and the subsequent damage to the affected trailers with far out weighs the warranty coverage of replacing a tire even before considering the safety issues. Replacing the load range E west lakes is a no brainer.
    I say this despite having to replace a nearly new Goodyear endurance as it developed a sidewall bubble and no warranty coverage for Goodyear trailer tires. At least no damage to the trailer resulted .
    I will say this, if I had bought a trailer with the "E" rated Westlake tires on it, I would have done the very same thing that I did on my first trailer. It came with Trailer King tires on it and they were a known "China Bomb" tire. I towed that trailer home, almost 400 miles from the dealer to my house, parked it, ordered a set of four Maxxis 8008 tires and then towed it to my Discount Tire location in town and had them replaced.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I bought my 2020 RD260 part of the deal was that the dealer would take them off and put on Goodyear Endurance on my unit. Done and recommended.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many have gone with GoodYear G614 “G” rated tires on their 5th wheels? Myself and another Rv traveling friend are also looking at the G614’s tires for their 5th wheel. We are trying to get a bulk discount with each of us buying 5 of them.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeb Ogburn View Post
    How many have gone with GoodYear G614 “G” rated tires on their 5th wheels?
    I put G614's on my Reflection the day I bought it but went with Sailun S637 (like most other forum members) when I bought my first Solitude. The Sailun's have a higher load index rating.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. We have talked about the Sailun S637 as well along with the GY Endurance. We have a Solitude 375RES and will have had it 2-years this coming Feb 2021. Still runnng the factory WestLake “G” and getting a little cautious with them. Like most rv’ers on this Forum, air on tires are check every time we get ready to pull out.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeb Ogburn View Post
    ...We have talked about the Sailun S637 as well along with the GY Endurance. We have a Solitude 375RES and will have had it 2-years this coming Feb 2021. Still runnng the factory WestLake “G” and getting a little cautious with them.
    I don't think you can get Goodyear Endurance in a "G" rated model. The general consensus across multiple RV forums is the Westlake "G" rated tires are actually very good tires.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...lots of talk about the Westlake's. I run the G-Rated on my Solitude 2930 RL. However, I have had Michelins on all of my trucks for 20 years with no blow-outs/tread separation and the like. I'd like to replace the G-Rated Westlakes before Summer 2021. Does anyone have any good experiences with stout Michelin G-Rated trailer tires...or could recommend perhaps another brand, ie. GY or Bridgestone ST trailer tires. Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast