Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5th wheel sway

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheel sway

Read a few post and hope to find a good answer, Hope I give enough info. have a 2016 m328m toy hauler, and a 2016 dodge ram 2500 shortbed with factory air bags. The truck hauls the 5th wheel with no problem, and the toy hauler does not come close to the cab in tight turn, also using a b&w slider hitch but have never needed to use the slide part. The issue is when we come over a bridge or very rough roads with dips the trailer seems to sway ,which makes the truck in the bed area move side to side. It tows great and at any speed. But when I see a bridge I slow down because I know what's coming. Is the truck not the right truck.In the past I have always had a dually and never had the problem.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in the wind View Post
    Read a few post and hope to find a good answer, Hope I give enough info. have a 2016 m328m toy hauler, and a 2016 dodge ram 2500 shortbed with factory air bags. The truck hauls the 5th wheel with no problem, and the toy hauler does not come close to the cab in tight turn, also using a b&w slider hitch but have never needed to use the slide part. The issue is when we come over a bridge or very rough roads with dips the trailer seems to sway ,which makes the truck in the bed area move side to side. It tows great and at any speed. But when I see a bridge I slow down because I know what's coming. Is the truck not the right truck.In the past I have always had a dually and never had the problem.
    With an empty pin weight of over 2400lbs, I would think you are probably well over your carrying capacity for that truck.

Open your drivers door and see what the sticker says.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order to dial this in, you (we) need to know your weights. I would first suggest taking the rig to a CAT scale and weigh the combination loaded as you would for camping. What we need to determine is your hitch weight. Too little hitch weight is the number 1 reason for sway. Weigh the combination of truck and 5'er, loaded as you would for a camping trip. Then, pull off to the side, unhook the RV, and reweigh the truck without the RV. This will give you the numbers you need. You will have your trailer axle weight. You'll then subtract your unloaded truck axle weights from your loaded truck axle weights. This will give you your pin weight. Add the pin weight to your RV's axle weight for your total RV weight. Your pin weight MUST be a minimum of 15% of the total trailer weight, the more the better. Also, we'll look at your pin weight and compare it to your trucks (Tow Vehicle or TV) cargo capacity (yellow sticker on the drivers door pillar) to determine if you're overweight.

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 12-15-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do I determine the pin weight,the 5th wheel uv weight is 12,678, the total weight is 16,500

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do I determine the pin weight,the 5th wheel uv weight is 12,678, the total weight is 16,500
    As I explained above, you need to weigh the truck and 5th wheel. Once you have the weight of the truck with the 5th wheel attached, weigh the truck unloaded. Subtract the trucks unloaded weight from the loaded weight will give you your pin weight. Most highway truck stops have scales. Cat is the most popular, you can google where the closest scale is.

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locat...SAAEgLTrfD_BwE

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for letting me know ,will do

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are over weight for your truck. Airbags do nothing for carrying capacity.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for letting me know ,will do
    Also what tires are on your truck? They shroud be load range E for that weight - probably not being a 1/2 ton. Ill bet you have P rated tires. Bottom line you do not have enough truck for that trailer - your way overloaded, especially on the rear axle and tires based on your describes sway, etc.

Also another way to get pin weight if you cant find a cat scale is if you can find a single weigh scale (usually found at gravel pits or grain elevators, farm supply places. Go inside and tell them what you want to do. You want trailer axle loading, total trailer weight, truck axle loading (steer and drive) and truck total weight.

First weight trailer hooked to truck, but without truck rear wheels on scale but just off. This will give you weight on the trailer axles. You can check this against your trailer axle ratings to see if your overloaded there. Then lower the front landing gear with the landing pads on the scale (truck off) and take all the weight off the truck (gap at hitch plate). If you do this right you do not need to unhook, but can if it is easier. This will give you the total weight of your trailer. Make sure the trailer is loaded as you usually travel in it including all supplies, water, food, gear, etc) Difference will be pin weight. Then weigh your truck alone with everyone in it including all gear full fuel tanks etc. Last get individual axle weights by just weighing each axle on the scale. Once you have this report the numbers back along with your door sticker information (take photo), but I already suspect you will be very surprised.

Hope this helps

On edit - one other weight to get is withe the truck and trailer on scale. This will give you your combined weight.
    Last edited by powerscol; 12-16-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you have in the "garage"? The weight of what is in the garage can lift weight off the pin and if too much aft of the axles can cause sway. My biggest problem with bridges is hitting the steel plates and spinning/slipping the tires.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has a 3/4ton.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast