Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

California open for camping?

Several of the California state parks we’d like to go to this winter show open. But most of the state is under a stay at home restriction with travel advisories. Is California closed to camping?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvv View Post
    Several of the California state parks we’d like to go to this winter show open. But most of the state is under a stay at home restriction with travel advisories. Is California closed to camping?
    Depending on the region ("region" not "county"), national, state, and county parks are closed to camping. You can still go the day use areas, in most cases, but no overnight camping. The restriction is for 3 weeks. AFAIK the 3 week period remains in effect as long as the ICU bed availability is under 15%. We're currently under 3%.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morro Dunes is open for extended stay of 14 days or more.

https://www.morrobay.org/listing/mor...rv-park/15497/
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    Morro Dunes is open for extended stay of 14 days or more.

https://www.morrobay.org/listing/mor...rv-park/15497/
    That's not a state/county park, is it? It seems that a number of private campgrounds are using the "long term" camping option as a work around.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    That's not a state/county park, is it? It seems that a number of private campgrounds are using the "long term" camping option as a work around.
    No. I'm sorry it's not. They do have one in Morro Bay but I'm guessing that it is closed as well. We were staying at The Morro Dunes the last time they closed down the state and the State park without warning.

There were people that had driven many hours (with reservations) only to find the State Park was closed. They were parking right along the Embarcadero as they tried to find a place to stay. I felt really bad for them. There was probably 30 rigs there. It was handled poorly if you ask me. Not our states finest hour.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    No. I'm sorry it's not. They do have one in Morro Bay but I'm guessing that it is closed as well. We were staying at The Morro Dunes the last time they closed down the state and the State park without warning.

There were people that had driven many hours (with reservations) only to find the State Park was closed. They were parking right along the Embarcadero as they tried to find a place to stay. I felt really bad for them. There was probably 30 rigs there. It was handled poorly if you ask me. Not our states finest hour.
    I know. We were at a local county park, camping, when the ranger came around (at 5:00 pm) and told us we had until 11:15 the next morning to leave the campground. I totally do not blame the state. It's the people who've not been compliant with masks/distancing (especially those who traveled for Thanksgiving) who've gotten things so bad now.