User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    737captain

New Kid on the Block

I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first 5th wheel TH.

We looked at all makes, we like the Jayco quality but not sitting with our heads at 90 deg trying to each tv.

So, why did you buy a Gd? Do you still like it? Any problems, factory dealer support that sort of thing. We are located I. Tampa Fl. So I guess it's Laxydays or Ocala, although I'd buy it anywhere for the right deal.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Cap! I know some of the Momentum guys will be by to brag on their rigs, you won't go wrong with Grand Design.

Steve

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We bought ours based on GD's reputation for quality. I had some initial problems, but GD stepped up and resolved everything. My main issue was with Lazy Days in Tucson and their service department. They were slow to work on the coach, lied to me, and damaged the FW while in their possession. It's been about a year since I had the problems with the service department, and I believe they have taken steps to resolve it. For one, the service manager that was lying to me is now unemployed.

You can't beat GD quality and service after the sale. Just make sure your dealership has a reputable service department along with a top notch sales department. But that holds true with what every brand you purchase.

737captain
    What do you consider to be must have options? For me I want self leveling, a generator and patio? Again I havn't owned one before so I'm shooting from the hip

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat pump AC, unless you will be camping a lot without hookups. The bigger question is what to be hauling in the garage.
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very happy with my Momentum 385TH. Hopefully no big problems to come. Just a few minor things that I fixed myself.

Floor plans were a big deal for me. The fit and finish were a pleasant surprise w/ the GD.

I had to have:

-Refer I could get into while on the road and storage
    -Big windows on camp side (don't know how people can stand not being able to see out the side where your kids or stuff is)
    -12 ft + garage
    -King bed
    -Good size, well designed bathroom/shower (rigs w/two doors to the bathroom seems like wasted space to me)

The 380TH was our first choice but the garage was too small.

A word to the wise... be careful how much you spend on your first rig cuz almost everyone goes through a learning/figuring out what they like and don't like, only by doing, and end up trading in for the one that better fits their needs... so choose carefully or get into something cheap to learn the ropes of what maters to YOU.

Good luck with your search.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 737captain View Post
    I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first 5th wheel TH.

We looked at all makes, we like the Jayco quality but not sitting with our heads at 90 deg trying to each tv.

So, why did you buy a Gd? Do you still like it? Any problems, factory dealer support that sort of thing. We are located I. Tampa Fl. So I guess it's Laxydays or Ocala, although I'd buy it anywhere for the right deal.

Any input would be greatly appreciated
    1) First thing you want to consider when looking at a toy hauler is...Can the truck you currently have handle the weight of the unit + the cargo that you will be putting in the garage?

2) Once you figured that out, then you can look at the best suited for your needs layout. Do you want a big living room? Do you want a 1/2 bath for the garage? Do you want to watch TV outside? Do you want to push a button and the camper transforms to a setup camper? (I still waiting on this one). Do you need a longer Garage or just a short garage? Do you need a big refrigerator or just a small one. How many will you be sleeping? Do you need the Happi-Jac bed in the garage or nobody is coming with you? Storage space is key to look at too.

3) After you go those things out the way, most floor plans are the same across all Manufactures lines. The question you want to ask yourself is how is the fit and finish, build quality of the unit after a year+ using it. I had the prime chance to see to Toy Haulers come in on the lot at the same time before anybody at the dealership had a chance to touch anything in there. I looked at a V-Series and the M-Class. When I tell you that they both came from Indiana, but it looked like the V-Series took a beating and the M-Class was pristine, I took the 350M as my unit of choice. If it could make that long trip and look like it did, then I think it would hold up well in the long run.

4) Check your dealer before buying, see how long it is before you could get in for warranty work, if you need some. Check to see what others thought of that dealer after the sale. They have plenty of dealers out there who sell Grand Design, just have to travel and find the one that will work for you.

But that what I got. Welcome to forum and you will enjoy the benefits of having a 5th wheel toy hauler. The extra sleeping room in the back, plus bring your toys....WIN WIN!!!
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

737captain
    Guys,

Thank you all for your insight, very helpful. I'll keep you all in the loop and let you know what happens.

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got our 350M and love it! We are going on our shake out trip in about a month...

Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 Lariat Ultimate
    2012 HD RoadGlide Ultra
    2015 GD Momentum 350M

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, welcome to the forum! I know a couple people who have had bad experiences with Lazydays service after the sale. Wait times and not getting issues fixed. We bought both our RV's from Tradewinds in Ocala. Good family owned dealer with great service after the sale. Lazydays offered us a better deal on our Reflection, I called Tradewinds to see if they could get closer on numbers, they actually beat LD by $100.
    I know AJ (posted above) just got his Momentum from LD, assuming he's happy with them so far. Don't think he's had any service work yet, hopefully when does will have some positive feedback for them.
    Good luck with your decision. You will love Grand Design!
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast