User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 3P does weigh close to 200#, but its not accurate to add 200 right to the truck. The extra length of the hitch (approx. 12" longer compared to E4 for example) helps to increase the distance between the trailer wheels and the trucks hitch box receiver, which is where the 3P stinger goes.
    So from my actual experience, with both the 3P and my Sherline scale, if I weight it at the end of the stinger (so where it enters the trucks hitch box) it its nearly the same weight as without the hitch right under the ball coupler. So that extra foot works to reduce the weight the truck feels.
    Besides the obvious advantage of truly effortless towing in nearly all weather, other hidden advantages are:
    dont have bars to remove or mess with and store
    can open the tailgate when hitched
    very fast and easy to hitch up
    can do on the fly weight transfer by raising or lowering the weight jacks- this was very useful in dialing in the feel going down the road. If your wheel steering feels floating, just pull over and give the jacks a couple cranks.
    fantastic customer support and strong customer support network of helpful people

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also to answer your question, I know Ford says to return 50% back. When I had my f150s they didnt feel good and planted until I had nearly all weight restored to the front. Id try to get closer to the 3100, so try to transfer another 100# forward. Also make sure you are loading with 12-13% tw on the trailer. That also seems to be a nice sweet spot. The last several trailers I had didnt tow solid until there was at least 12% forward.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Back to the Original Poster's questions:

In the first weigh where you got 13480 CGVWR, you had a tongue weight of 860 (2840+3580-5560), or 10.8%. Guaranteed sway! In the next, where you had 13940 CGVWR, TW is now 1020 or 12.1%, so sway may be gone, or getting close to gone. I assumed the truck always stayed the same weight - 5560, and the added 460 lbs went into the trailer toward the front, so most went to the tongue. You did not weight things without the WD bars set, so we we cannot tell how much weight came off of the steer axels.

BUT - I am in total agreement with lzerarc above. Get the tongue weight to 12.5% or more. And despite Ford saying 50%, getting the steer closer to the original unloaded weight also made it much better for me.

Note that your new TW at 12.5% may push it close to 1050. Better check the sticker on the bottom of the receiver for it's max capacity, and of course, the payload capacity listed on the door sticker. You might be getting close to one of those limits....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Pro pride user and have put on close to 10,000 miles on it in two years. Amazing hitch IMO, sway is non existent.
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Being able to open the gate is a big plus for sure.
    In case it matters:
    My tailgate opens fully with the ProPride on my Ram 3500.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12