Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Landing gear upgrade

Having trouble with the landing gear on my 2019 230RL shearing pins on the cross bar between the drive and follow leg. I want to replace the follow leg with a second drive leg. Stromberg Carlson makes an upgrade kit (LG-5) with all the components (leg, gear box, motor, and switch). Only problem is the kit uses a Venture motor running at 5000 rpm. The motor on my existing drive leg is a Tuson motor running at 7140 rpm. Legs would move at different speeds. To add to the confusion, the grand design parts site lists a Venture motor as being used on my rig but that's not what's on mine. I could buy the individual components and piece together what I need or I could upgrade to an Ultra Fab dual leg system (more $). Curious to know if anyone else has upgraded their landing gear to dual drive and what did you use.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be the first (if you go ahead with it) to do that here. I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned.

Welcome to the forum!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruditudes View Post
    Having trouble with the landing gear on my 2019 230RL shearing pins on the cross bar between the drive and follow leg. I want to replace the follow leg with a second drive leg. Stromberg Carlson makes an upgrade kit (LG-5) with all the components (leg, gear box, motor, and switch). Only problem is the kit uses a Venture motor running at 5000 rpm. The motor on my existing drive leg is a Tuson motor running at 7140 rpm. Legs would move at different speeds. To add to the confusion, the grand design parts site lists a Venture motor as being used on my rig but that's not what's on mine. I could buy the individual components and piece together what I need or I could upgrade to an Ultra Fab dual leg system (more $). Curious to know if anyone else has upgraded their landing gear to dual drive and what did you use.
    First I'd be curious if you found the reason you are shearing crossbar pins. The 230RL isn't that big or heavy a trailer so while it sounds good do you really need a second drive leg? Next, not knowing the OEM and the upgrade is made by Stromberg Carlson ( dam I have several tube stereo amps made by them, what happened?) are the motors interchangeable in place? Meaning could you use one to swap in place of the other irrespective of the speed. Lastly are the gear sets the same that you could interchange motors.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruditudes View Post
    Have you ever lubricated the problem leg? Before spending the money, I would pull the problem leg and go through it. Might be a very simple fix
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wicked Ace.

First sheared the pin while at a campsite that was very unlevel in the front of the trailer. Also the truck was on a downward incline and this put pressure on the hitch ball on my Andersen hitch. When I was raising the trailer, the follow leg was at a noticeable slant and the pin sheared. Got trailer off and leveled with the help of a jack and replace the pin. Pin sheared again when hitching the trailer and a third time at a different site. Guessing I damaged the leg some how. As far as I can tell, the motors are interchangeable but I'd have to change the existing motor to keep legs moving at the same speed. I had dual motors on a previous trailer and liked that setup better. So if I need to replace a leg I'd like to go ahead and make it a dual drive.