User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th Wheel Hitch Concern: Gap where rear of pin box attaches to RV mount

On Monday I became the excited owned of a 2019 GD 295RL. Towed it 550 miles on Tuesday. Thursday I noticed a widening gap between the rear of the pin box where it attaches to the bracket on the underside of the 5th wheel bedroom. The gap is more profound when the trailer is loaded into the hitch and the fifth wheel stabilizers are retracted. I hope these pictures are descriptive enough. I could see 2 bolt threads between the plates. The king pin box is a Lippert Trailair Turning Point. Hitch is a Reese 16000. What needs to be done? Is this dangerous?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin Box Gap.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	31179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin box Gap 2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	31180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sidebar_LCI_Turning_Point_01.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	31181

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it is dangerous or normal. However I have a 2021 295rl also and it has same gap. It got worse over several trips and now I even have clunking sounds when I swivel the pin back and forth. I heard many stories that these turning points need yearly maintenance as the bearings wear out yearly due to the weight. I plan over the winter on a nice weekend to drop the box and replace the bearings. Hopefully the problem is just some bearing wear or crushed racers.
    I was going to take it to a shop in the fall, but I couldn't find any place within driving distance that had any open slots. Wait time was months. So I just kept towing it around. It didn't fall apart and I made it to winter months where it is now sitting winterized in my driveway. Good luck and I will share if I find out anything more.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Gstepp22! I did not realize there are bearings in the pin box. Why? Should I tighten the bolts to remove the gap if that's possible? Should I apply Loctite to the threads to prevent future backing out?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KENTMEZ View Post
    Thank you Gstepp22! I did not realize there are bearings in the pin box. Why? Should I tighten the bolts to remove the gap if that's possible? Should I apply Loctite to the threads to prevent future backing out?
    I really don't want to give you wrong advice as loose bolts with thread showing could cause serious injury if they come out altogether.
    He is what I would do. I would first contact LCI and ask them for the proper torque of the bolts. Then with a good torque wrench, torque them all down to what they tell you. I also would use lots and lots of loctite.

Curious why you say you wouldn't think it had bearings. What kind of truck do you tow with? Bed size? Mine is a 6'6" short bed and a fixed hitch, I need to utilize the turning point pin box pivot feature. Otherwise if I make a sharp turn I take out the cab of my truck. Since it turns at the pin box and not at the hitch, it needs bearings to swivel back and forth.
    If you are not planning on using the turning point that way then get rid and get a fixed pin box. Less maintenance and better suited.
    GD should of had an option for that with delivery of these things. We paid enough for them [emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gstepp22, thank you again for your quick response. It looks to me as though a previous owner removed the swivel ability to this hitch as it does not rotate as yours does. I do have a short bed Silverado 2500HD. I will contact LCI.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bolts you see are the bolts to keep the hitch from pivoting.

If you want to use the swiveling feature, remove those bolts and install the wedge that should be bolted to the underside of the Turning Point hitch.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gstepp22 View Post
    If you are not planning on using the turning point that way then get rid and get a fixed pin box.
    You can't replace the Turning Point hitch with anything else. The frame is made specifically for it.

Lock it out with the bolts and move on.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the bolts should be torqued to 200 ft/lbs.
    2018 295RL Relection
    2018 Silverado HD2500