User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed about 10 miles outside of west Yellowstone in a NFS campground - Rainbow Point for 10 days when we did Yellowstone. Quiet campground , CG hosts were great and sites had ele . I realize not everyone wants to camp rustic but if you can handle it it is a great spot away from the Yellowstone masses.

Yellowstone is very busy and if you get up at 0 dark 30 to get into the park at sunrise you'll get to see much of it undisturbed for the first couple hours. No matter how long you visit there is so much to see you will want to return for more.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhop56 View Post
    I'm interested in your top tips for
    someone like me that has never visited Yellowstone.
    Ya, don’t go, the crowds are ridiculous! I travel that area every summer (well not this summer) on my way to Sturgis and always avoid Jellystone, even if it means a 200 mile detour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=WhittleBurner;336506][COLOR=#b22222]We stayed about 10 miles outside of west Yellowstone in a NFS campground - Rainbow Point for 10 days when we did Yellowstone. Quiet campground , CG hosts were great and sites had ele . I realize not everyone wants to camp rustic but if you can handle it it is a great spot away from the Yellowstone masses.
    P PPP PPP PPP pp PPP PPP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jim and Cal
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 5.9

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our first trip was to Yellowstone in early June 2016. We had a 35ft Tiffin motorhome. We stayed in the campground in Yellowstone. It was really tight and I wouldn't stay there again. The guy next door/behind and our slideout actually overlapped. If you are setup for boondocking there is some BLM or Forest land just outside the west entrance an experienced camper told us about. We actually had to pass Bison walking down the road as we entered the park. There was still snow on the ground in places in mid June so May would be dicey and much cooler.
    Dan, Ponderosa Park, CO
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE (SOLD)
    2023 Hiker Mid Range Deluxe 5x9 (Due Oct 2023)
    2018 Nissan Titan Crew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yellowstone

Quote Originally Posted by bhop56 View Post
    This year DW and I did our "Southwest Trip". The trip was incredible. 2021 we're planning our "Northwest Trip". I'm interested in your top tips for
    someone like me that has never visited Yellowstone. Tips like best time of the year, earliest and latest months to go, RV park reservations lead time,
    recommended RV Parks, don't miss seeing things, cautions, etc. I have the lifetime Senior Pass plus x military which helps on fees. Also, what is
    close to Yellowstone that is a "must see and do". Thank you in advance for your tips.
    On the east side of the park there is an area where people put up spotting scopes to watch the wolves. They will let you look through their scopes and explain what they are seeing. Incredible! We watched pups going in and out of the den. And we loved a winter visit in the snow, when they restrict the number of visitors--took a converted van on tracks into the park and animals were up close! We were skiing Jackson Hole that year.

In Tetons we took a trip down the river by boat and enjoyed the serenity and also several hikes. We always take the path less traveled.

Have fun!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience this past August:

1) Fishing Bridge campground was closed this year, but if it's open I would stay there. We stayed at a campground by Hegben Lake and the mosquitoes were horrible.
    2) Early Spring and Late Summer are best to avoid the crowds of summer.
    3) We drove into the park every day before dawn to see the animals at Lamar Valley. This was a great strategy, because you get into the park for free, wolves and bears are out for viewing, there are no lines at all of the popular spots, and you can see as much as you want up until 12 noon when it starts getting crowded.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Yellowstone this past August. I stayed at the Yellowstone KOA as someone else on this thread. The campground was just ok and completely packed even during Covid. I booked it last January as it can very hard to find sites as the year progresses. My advice don't go into the park on the weekends. We stayed for a week (Wed - Tues) and I found the line to get is was way longer on the weekend. Also get the digital pass before you go https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/18005.htm It will save you a ton of time waiting to get into the park. I saved it to my phone and all I had to do was show them the QR code at the entrance. Good luck and enjoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve been there in our 5th wheel twice. We learned to explore every side road. You will miss some amazing sites!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bhop56. We were just there in late late August and thru September. September the crowds are dissipating due to kids going back to school and the temps are trending downward. We actually got snowed on about the 10 of September. We started our trip staying in Colter Bay Village RV in Jackson Hole area. Rustic but totally doable with restaurants and grocery nearby. Book now for next summer. The Tetons are amazingly majestic and the area is gorgeous. A must do is a scenic float trip down the Snake River. Due to Covid restrictions there were 4 of us in the raft with guide. As one other person posted, Jackson itself if busy. But is worth a drive through and do stop at Jackson Grocery and pick up a couple bison ribeye steaks, they are totally delicious. As everyone who has been there has stated. Yellowstone is huge. Depending upon where you travel in the park plan on 2-3 hours per day in the vehicle, if you stay at Grizzly RV which we did. There is also a new park named Buffalo Crossing in West Yellowstone. Must sees: Old Faithful, Yellowstone Lake, Upper and Lower Falls in the Canyon area, Lamar Valley (think American Serengeti), Firehole river, the elk and bison herd in lower geyser basin.... and the list goes on. Since we did not see everything we wanted were going back this summer for two week. One week Buffalo Crossing, one week Grizzly RV. As someone previously said. Getup and go early to avoid the crowds. Safe Travels!!!
    Last edited by zinman; 12-23-2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: after thought
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the deal with dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by zinman View Post
    bhop56. We were just there in late late August and thru September. September the crowds are dissipating due to kids going back to school and the temps are trending downward. We actually got snowed on about the 10 of September. We started our trip staying in Colter Bay Village RV in Jackson Hole area. Rustic but totally doable with restaurants and grocery nearby. Book now for next summer. The Tetons are amazingly majestic and the area is gorgeous. A must do is a scenic float trip down the Snake River. Due to Covid restrictions there were 4 of us in the raft with guide. As one other person posted, Jackson itself if busy. But is worth a drive through and do stop at Jackson Grocery and pick up a couple bison ribeye steaks, they are totally delicious. As everyone who has been there has stated. Yellowstone is huge. Depending upon where you travel in the park plan on 2-3 hours per day in the vehicle, if you stay at Grizzly RV which we did. There is also a new park named Buffalo Crossing in West Yellowstone. Must sees: Old Faithful, Yellowstone Lake, Upper and Lower Falls in the Canyon area, Lamar Valley (think American Serengeti), Firehole river, the elk and bison herd in lower geyser basin.... and the list goes on. Since we did not see everything we wanted were going back this summer for two week. One week Buffalo Crossing, one week Grizzly RV. As someone previously said. Getup and go early to avoid the crowds. Safe Travels!!!
    i would love to see Yellowstone, but we travel with our two dogs. I have heard that dogs are not allowed in the National Parks. Can anyone shed some light or make some suggestions for how we might still be able to see the National Parks? Thanks!
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 29RS
    2017 Ford F-250 Diesel "King Ranch"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast