User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfpartridge View Post
    i would love to see Yellowstone, but we travel with our two dogs. I have heard that dogs are not allowed in the National Parks. Can anyone shed some light or make some suggestions for how we might still be able to see the National Parks? Thanks!
    Dogs, generally, are allowed in National Parks. They must be leashed (6 ft max). And are not allowed on trails, with a few exceptions. You need to check with each park you would be interested in visiting as to their pet policy.

I know there are pet sitters, you can hire in some (non-national park) campgrounds, if you're going to be gone for most of the day and cannot take your pet with you.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest going in late august when there are less family's with children. Also, the beartooth mountains near yellowstone are not very crowded and offer the most excellent hiking. Enjoy!
    Tim & Debra
    2015 RAM 3500, SRW, 4x4, 6.7, Air bags, 18k Demco Auto Slider
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 26RLS, 16" Goodyear Endurance Tires,

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfpartridge View Post
    i would love to see Yellowstone, but we travel with our two dogs. I have heard that dogs are not allowed in the National Parks. Can anyone shed some light or make some suggestions for how we might still be able to see the National Parks? Thanks!
    We took our dogs (always do) , Dogs are allowed to enter the park but not go on trails or up to any of the geological features. It makes seeing some things more difficult if it is a long long day. You either have to leave the pups in the vehicle or back at camp. We alternated days of going into Yellowstone leaving the dogs in the trailer for the day. Then day tripping in the area and some days we took the dogs and let them sit in the truck with the air on if it wasn't to hot and we wouldn't be gone more than 10 mins or so.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went to Yellowstone a few years ago. We went in mid to late august as we always do with no reservations. First night we stayed at fishing bridge. Can't say I liked that CG much. Good location for getting around the park though. We spent the next 6 nights at Mammoth CG. Beautiful spot in my opinion. Overlooking the Gardner river. You can walk up into Mammoth town site (if you want to call it that). Lots of elk, and then there is the boiling river which is a great place to go for a dip. Little more driving to the tourist spots though.
    We came in from the east and spent time at Cody before entering Yellowstone. There is nice campground on the shore of the Shoshone river just west of Cody. In Cody they have lots of Buffalo Bill Cody stuff, the Irma, NRA Firearms museum, Buffalo Jump winery, Triple 'C' cowboys, some old 1800's displays of the old west. Neat town. And gunslinger shows in the streets.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went in July 2016 as coming from Colorado Springs did the east side, stayed at Ponderosa RV CG - nice place, the usual discount groups. Clean bathrooms and laundry, one of the closest to the east entrance, still about 15-20 minutes before the entrance. The park is huge as is the traffic. Think Disneyworld lines, without a fast pass and in a vehicle! Fishing areas around the park are wonderful. If it's your thing, a must see if the Smithsonian Museum of guns - my husband could have spent all day there!

We booked a Yellowstone tour through "Cody Wyoming Adventures" which allowed all parties to see the sights, which was nice for my husband getting to see things instead of the tail lights in front of him! They picked us up early - 6:15 am - ish we were at the entrance by 6:30, immediately saw a mama bear and her cubs crossing the road! There were only 2 couples on the tour and they allowed me to bring my Corgi. Tour took us to the spots that were going to get the most crowded first, driver was extremely knowledgeable on the area, would point out info/sites/areas for us to take the best photos and moved on in front of the crowds. As we were in a commercial tour van, we were able to use the commercial lanes and upfront parking spots, by-passing the non-stop line of cars waiting to get into parking lots. The other benefit here is close to restrooms and way easier than trying to deal with the 3500 in the parking lot - some spots are tight. Tour guide would point us in the right direction with some tips, and would stay in the van with the dog.

Tour included a box lunch which we had next to a gorgeous stream (as we were early into the park, lunch was around 11:15 before that area of picnic tables got busy as well) It was a long day - back at CG around 4:30 but worth every single penny!

We plan on doing the west side of the park next year and will definitely do the tour thing again. Safe travels and Merry Christmas.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plan Several Visits/Bear Spray/Ennis RV

@bhop56, there are a lot of good recommendations in this thread so I will try not to be redundant. I would recommend the following:

[Separate Bite-Sized Trips] Yellowstone & Grand Teton NPs are HUGE, so when we decided to visit, we visited each park individually on two separate trips. Even though we broke our visits down this way, we still came away with places we didn’t get to see. You can easily make several visits to these parks & still not see it all.

[Bear Spray] Plan to be “Bear Aware” as the local signs proclaim. So purchase & carry Bear Spray. I would purchase it in advance, since it will be priced accordingly ($higher) in the local stores. I found a great deal on Bear Spray at a Costco in a nearby state.

[Ennis RV Park] I too heard mixed reviews on the Campgrounds near the West Yellowstone Gate. So if you’re not opposed to driving about an hour from the West Gate, I would recommend staying in Ennis, MT at the Ennis RV Park. The park is spacious & well laid out. It was also far from crowded & extremely reasonable in price. The only drawback is you will be about an hour from the West Gate. You will be doing tons of driving either way, so I figured another hour was worth the reasonable price & manageable RV crowds.

Good luck, drive safe & enjoy your trip! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visiting Yellowstone - Requesting Input

Quote Originally Posted by Gran Casita View Post
    @bhop56, there are a lot of good recommendations in this thread so I will try not to be redundant. I would recommend the following:

[Separate Bite-Sized Trips] Yellowstone & Grand Teton NPs are HUGE, so when we decided to visit, we visited each park individually on two separate trips. Even though we broke our visits down this way, we still came away with places we didn’t get to see. You can easily make several visits to these parks & still not see it all.

[Bear Spray] Plan to be “Bear Aware” as the local signs proclaim. So purchase & carry Bear Spray. I would purchase it in advance, since it will be priced accordingly ($higher) in the local stores. I found a great deal on Bear Spray at a Costco in a nearby state.

[Ennis RV Park] I too heard mixed reviews on the Campgrounds near the West Yellowstone Gate. So if you’re not opposed to driving about an hour from the West Gate, I would recommend staying in Ennis, MT at the Ennis RV Park. The park is spacious & well laid out. It was also far from crowded & extremely reasonable in price. The only drawback is you will be about an hour from the West Gate. You will be doing tons of driving either way, so I figured another hour was worth the reasonable price & manageable RV crowds.

Good luck, drive safe & enjoy your trip! -Diego
    I don't want to stop the great advice coming in, just want to take a moment to thank you all for some great tips! Benny
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Gran Casita, take bear spray. I fly fish while there and don't leave the RV without it when I go. Get the kind that shoots 40 feet.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123