User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weekend colder weather camping

We live in Kansas, not at all real winter temps at night most of the time. We will have highs in the 40s, several 50s with lows in the 20s and occasional teens.
    We have been using our 22mle during these temps. Hardest part is the 30 min to winterize on Sunday afternoons when we get home. Obviously it's a go cart compared to the big units, but we just use it on the weekends, and by no means are experts on the winter/cold camping front.
    I just wanted to post that late fall temporarily freezing temps dont mean a person cant go out for a few days.
    Some things we do, and some observations.
    1. A 1500 watt space heater will keep the unit at 70 plus degrees in temps about 30 degrees,as long as there isn't much wind. 20mph wind and the furnace will kick on some.
    2. We just fill the fresh tank and use it,dont worry about the heated hose or water hose freezing.
    3. Humidity, if we watch what we cook, and shower in the mornings, humidity really isn't a problem. But if a person showers at night we will get some condensation on the windows. Enough to wipe them off with a towel, and once is usually all that's needed.
    A dehumidifier is on the horizon, just as a peace of mind thing.
    4. When the temps get down in the 20s and a couple nights about 15 degrees, the furnace does run quite a bit. Which is good to keep the underside warm. But by no means does it run alot. I filled the 1 tank after a weekend it got down to 15 degrees and 20 degrees, highs 33 and 36, we used 2.8 gallons in two days.
    Again, this timeframe temps during the day are in the 30s plus, so it gives a person the ability to be outside for walks etc.
    The floor is noticeably colder and a pair of slippers are a must.
    We don't tow when the temps are below freezing, so we dont worry about icing up with below freezing temps and driving.
    The only thing I might look into is some type of insulation under the bed. The head of the bed is above the pass through storage,and we can feel a 5 degree or so temp difference around our pillows. Might look at doing something under the mattress or above on the top of the storage area.
    Like I said, it's not artic weather by any means, but we watch the forecast and have been able to go out a few days in colder weather. It is really nice in the state park, this weekend I only see 2 other RVs out here, so it is really peaceful. I certainly wouldnt call this rv a 4 season item, but it will handle a few hours below freezing. I dont think I would want to stay in it if the highs were in the 20s, but we watch the forecast, and pick the days it looks favorable.
    2015 Ford F150 5.0
    2021 22 MLE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good run-down - thanks.

More than insulation under the bed, I would be concerned about condensation under the mattress which can lead to mold. A lot of us full-timers use a product like this between the mattress and the bed platform to allow for air circulation:

https://www.mattressinsider.com/matt...revention.html

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the world of winter camping. Sounds like you pretty well have it covered. Have fun, safe travels!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So just to make sure I understand, your experience is that temps at night in the 20s are ok provided the furnace is keeping the interior warm? We don’t plan on using city water or sewer but do expect nights in the 20s occasionally and would like to have water from the tank to use. Would have shore power to keep the water heater on.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt225 View Post
    So just to make sure I understand, your experience is that temps at night in the 20s are ok provided the furnace is keeping the interior warm? We don’t plan on using city water or sewer but do expect nights in the 20s occasionally and would like to have water from the tank to use. Would have shore power to keep the water heater on.
    As long as the furnace is working the underbelly gets heated. On our last trip of the season, nights were below freezing every night for close to a week. Everything worked out well and we were comfy. Like OP mentioned, we also will be getting a small dehumidifier to help with condensation. Something like this https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B081Q2FSR8/...B4DG6X2A0RM8V3
    Second Chance is also right about the under mattress pad. I wouldn't go below 20 but I'm sure it would work out.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt225 View Post
    Yes, as far as temps go 20s for the 22mle is fine. I used it also in late Jan, staying in it instead of a hotel for work. Lows right in the low 20s and a couple 15 degree nights. No problem, though I will say 15 degrees is my limit. Nothing froze, but just a lil on the cool side for me.