User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks, if you're wondering why the string of deleted threads we're trying to keep this site friendly, polite, and for all to feel free to ask for help and advice without being challenged or have borderline rude comments posted.

Short, terse one-liners, or smart-mouthed comments meant to be challenging or just impolite with no apparent attempt to be kind will not be tolerated.

thanks..... carry on.......
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We hit state parks in the fall and have plans for five trips through May. These are all weekend trips and besides passing someone on a hiking trail we don't see other people. We stay out of the public bathrooms other than the occasional rest stop ut could use the trailer for that. That's what makes a TT great.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In regards to RV travel, if you play your cards right I think the Covid risk would be no greater on the road than staying home... assuming you plan accordingly. In either case you need to go to gas stations, get or have delivered groceries, deal with an appliance service tech, etc.

Being a New Yorker, after the first NY covid explosion, when private RV Parks began to open again earlier in the year, we ventured out and felt very safe. Many of the parks adapted... iPad checkins, deliveries to sites, masks, closed playgrounds, rec room & pools, etc. People in NY were very respectful of others. We acted accordingly and did not do anything to unnecessarily expose ourselves. We hiked, cooked out, went to stores, distance socialized when appropriate.

So our plan for 2021 is to get out there. We may not be able to adhere to our plan 100%, we will adapt. But most importantly... we plan on getting out there.
    Rich & Terry's Radical Sabbatical & Beyond
    Serenity & The Machine
    2020 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2019 RAM 3500 CC SRW HO Cummins

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in Minnesota, retired three years ago and since then have wintered along the Texas gulf coast. We love it down there and walking on the beach in January is still a delightful treat. However, this year, we are staying in Minnesota. Covid is too scary for us and we aren't taking any chances or unnecessary risks. Good luck.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We cancelled 2 long road trips in 2020. We are headed out in March for southern Utah, CA coast for 14 days for each month of June, July and early August, and Colorado for late August/Sept. We use the same precautions with Covid as we normally do for flu season. We feel we are less exposed to Covid in the outdoors than staying home.
    Safe travels for everyone!
    John & Margo Cooper
    Retired & Loving Life
    2017 F250
    2014 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvv View Post
    We have plans to go from Michigan to Arizona in February and March. Two national forest campgrounds, two private, and four days of cold weather camping at Grand Canyon. Arizona currently does not have a travel ban, but has a lot of COVID. I understand that camping can reduce exposer risk but am curious what others have decided to do this winter. We’re in good health but in our early seventies and dearly want to do warm weather hiking and camping as well as leave Michigan winter weather.
    Depending on where you go in AZ, you'll have chilly nights. We're up in Prescott Valley now. Night time temps are in the teens. Down in the low desert, it'll be nice during the day, and in the 30s at night. It might be a bit warmer in March.

From what I gather, the typical snowbird havens are jammed, as usual. We avoid them like the plague... because it's a plague. Last I heard, Grand Canyon is still closed. I admit to not checking again as I write this.

As soon as my wife has some medical issues resolved, and we get the range replaced, we're out of here, heading to Texas and the gulf coast, all the way to Florida. Come May it's back to AZ for a short stay, and then up to the upper plains states. We mostly boondock, so we don't tend to be around people much.

We're not letting Covid stop us, but we're taking precautions as necessary, including prophylactic drugs. If coming to AZ, I advise the southern deserts, away from California. Avoid Yuma and Quartzsite at all costs.
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 MC DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We spent most of the summer traveling across the country. We put on over 8000 miles and stayed in over 30 different campgrounds. If you are going to get it, it is going to happen no matter where you are at. We were at home in AZ from Thanksgiving on and contracted Covid somewhere in our home town. Luckily we are both recovered now (hubby was hit harder than me and ended up with Pneumonia but is on the way to full health). We plan to do some local stuff prior to taking off again in the spring now that we are back to good health. Life is short, if you live it afraid to die that isn't living to us.
    Good luck in your decision.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input. We decided not to go. Along with everybody’s comments, the New York Times nationwide map of hospital ICU beds available was the tipping point. The west is bedded up.
    We’ll take a look at the gulf coast in February and if COVID settles down maybe go there. In the meantime the shovel is ready for a white Christmas in Michigan.
    With the possibility of the vaccine, this may be the best choice, although I’ve personally had no issue with RV travel this year. We have been smart about it. The idea to look at the hospitals is a great idea.

Depending on where you go, there are varying levels of caution, unfortunately related to politics (which I will not discuss). As a gulf coast resident, there are areas right here where I won’t go, simply because if I get sick it’s 28+ days and a whole bunch of extra tests before they’ll even consider letting me do my job again - and that’s assuming no major symptoms. Just another thing to look at when choosing your spot. Seen a lot of variation town to town.

Hope you had a nice white Christmas!
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're in the SW now after traveling through Colorado, Arkansas and Texas (and states between) in Nov and Dec. We've been able to mostly isolate by using our fifth wheel at rest stops for lunch and potty breaks, and mostly curbside ordering for groceries. It's a pain in the rear at times, but doable. No dining in restaurants. Laundromats have been a risk, though. So many people aren't wearing masks in the southern states. It amazes me. I wear the N95 contractor's masks we have.
    If we were over 65 and higher risk of needing a hospital for any reason, may not have made this trip.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input. We decided not to go. Along with everybody’s comments, the New York Times nationwide map of hospital ICU beds available was the tipping point. The west is bedded up.
    We’ll take a look at the gulf coast in February and if COVID settles down maybe go there. In the meantime the shovel is ready for a white Christmas in Michigan.
    By now you're probably enjoying the snow we got for Christmas, & with the temps dropping maybe second guessing about getting out? We also decided to stay in Michigan,however our destination in Az is an RV park with over 2K lots & it's main purpose is for socializing.
    With my wife's so-so immune system (that alone) helped make the choice to stay home. Making the decision early enough got us in the mindset to get a lot of projects done even though most of them are outdoors. Will be doing some mods to our 5th wheel, building a small rock shop for us & a granddaughter. We will even plan on some CC skiing on our property as long as the snow holds out & the rain stays away!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast