User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To go or not to go during COVID

We have plans to go from Michigan to Arizona in February and March. Two national forest campgrounds, two private, and four days of cold weather camping at Grand Canyon. Arizona currently does not have a travel ban, but has a lot of COVID. I understand that camping can reduce exposer risk but am curious what others have decided to do this winter. We’re in good health but in our early seventies and dearly want to do warm weather hiking and camping as well as leave Michigan winter weather.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We normally go south in the winter, but have decided to stay home this year.
    A cousin has made the same decision.
    I know we will get really tired of the cold.
    The risk mainly is during the travel, fueling/meals.
    While camping it's not much different than being at home.

Milt

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question.

We just picked up our Momentum 349M last week and went camping at a local reservoir for 3 days in the cold. There was virtually nobody there so social distancing was not a problem. But that's in Colorado .. I reckon AZ will be more crowded.

We have the same dilemma about a trip, though.

In November I went on a 2 week work trip with 4 other guys to an area near Las Cruces, NM - around the same time that El Paso was having a lot of problems. The weather was great so we boondocked for 1 week and stayed in a pretty isolated RV park the other. None of us got COVID but we were VERY careful about going in public places - grocery stores, gas stations, and the RV camp was all we did.

But I really don't know how to answer your question .. "Should I stay or should I go?" Maybe some thoughts from those currently camping might be helpful?
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why?
    You have a life in front of you. Relax and stay home.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As full-timers, we don't really camp - but we're potentially mobile all the time. We have elected to hunker down until things get a bit better. Being retired, we are also a little older than some on the forum, which puts us in a higher-risk category if we were to be exposed. I'm a bit envious of @jjbbrewer for his having been near my home town (Las Cruces) so recently. I would pay a lot to be able to see my sisters and their families and have some enchiladas verdes or tostadas compuestas... but I'm not willing to give my life for it.

The two hospitals in Cruces that have critical care units are at 98.9% and 76.5% ICU bed occupancy. Even if places like Arizona don't have travel restrictions right now (New Mexico does, BTW), if you were to have any kind of medical situation requiring care - COVID or not - you'd be up the proverbial waters of pollution without adequate means of propulsion. I hope things are better by February - March. Being over 65, I may be able to be vaccinated by then. Laura isn't 65, yet, so it will likely be late spring or early summer before tier 2 starts getting vaccinated. I don't see us rolling until summer. Only you can make those choices for yourself and your family.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvv View Post
    We have plans to go from Michigan to Arizona in February and March. Two national forest campgrounds, two private, and four days of cold weather camping at Grand Canyon. Arizona currently does not have a travel ban, but has a lot of COVID. I understand that camping can reduce exposer risk but am curious what others have decided to do this winter. We’re in good health but in our early seventies and dearly want to do warm weather hiking and camping as well as leave Michigan winter weather.
    Well, some points from us. Currently, we self isolate, not even church in the parking lot. We order or groceries for curbside pickup. When we go to Georgia the second week of January to pick up our 320MKS, we will be at higher risk. We have had to book two hotels for our 20 hour trip out there. Our plans for gas and potty stops are as follows:

* Gas: wear Harbor Freight nitrile gloves and my mask. Gloves are put on before I get out of the truck, and thrown away in the gas station's trash can after opening the door and before I get in.

* Potty breaks: (much more complicated) done gloves and mask, put hand sanitizer bottle on bed of truck. Bring in a little bottle of 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. Enter restroom, spray down everything we might touch. Remove gloves. Do business. Discard gloves. Scrub like a surgeon would. Exit. Use sanitizer before entering truck. Leave, post haste. For food, we are bringing a cooler, but, are willing to use drive through.

Return trip with the 320MKS: curbside pickup for groceries for return trip. Follow only gas precautions. Use bathroom in coach for potty breaks. No other contact.

As for the parks, I would confirm to extend social distancing, try to use contactless payments if possible (pay online or over the phone), utilize curbside pickup for groceries, and try, desperately, not to go crazy.

Hope your trip is a success and may God watch over you and yours!

Mark & Mary

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We opted to go. Left MI in early Oct and stopped for 10 days in SC to visit family then down to Bradenton, FL . We figured it was better for us to stay safe in the warmer climate where we can go outside and be comfortable. Both places have Covid so the same precautions are taken regardless of where we are. Here we can go for day hikes, wander nature preserves, walk the beaches or just hang out . We are seasonal at a CG and know most of our neighbors well , know what safety precautions they follow which makes socialization around the campfire less worrysome. Beats being closed in a house or hiking in the cold.

I don't feel the risk is any different here than back in MI, we wash our hands, carry sanitizer and wipe down grocery carts b4 touching the handle.

I'm moving this thread to the Covid section seeing as that is the main consideration if you travel or not
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvv View Post
    We recently did a week in Gatlinburg/GSMNP area travelling from Arkansas. Our exposure was mainly fuel stops and grocery shopping. The national park was incredible and we wore masks and social distanced as much as shopping would allow. It's really a question of what is acceptable risk for each of you and how much social contact you anticipate having. Many years ago we camped the Grand Canyon and backpacked down to the canyon floor for several nights. Social distance was the norm and that was pre-covid.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should use whatever precautions you feel are appropriate regardless of your location.

As RV'ers, we can stay hunkered down wherever we're at. Driving down the road doesn't expose us to COVID. Neither does eating/sleeping in our RV along the way or at our destination. You can do curbside pickup of food and home improvement items wherever you're at. You can socially distance yourself wherever you're at.

We left Central Oregon for Palm Springs in September. No way I'm spending winter or spring back home.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day, these decisions can only be made by one person. That would be you.

We have been camping probably six times, since March of this. We are no more exposed camping than we are at home. We don't have any problems just hanging out at the campground, relaxing, grilling, hanging out around campfire etc.. In fact, I would say we are less exposed because I don't have to go out shopping or anything while Im camping, which I do here at home. It's easy to maintain social distancing while RVing.

We have a trip planned next month, which we will go on.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast