User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Arthritis and Specialty Medications

I was just curious if anyone has tips or tricks to receiving special prescriptions on the road. Both my husband(38years old with Rheumatoid Arthritis) and I have(39 with Psoriatic Arthritis) hope to begin full time this spring, and we are curious about how others specifically manage the medications while full-timing. Have you had any trouble with your pharmacy getting medications that require refrigeration, and therefore overnight deliveries. We plan to travel in areas with either a CVS or Walgreens, in order to transfer regular medications, however, the specialty medications are another level of management they will need to be delivered to UPS or FED-Ex facilities. How has this worked out for you? Medicines like: Humira, Enbrel, Orencia, Cosentyx, Taltz just to name a few.

Looking forward to stories or thoughts, anything you want to share. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CFCouple View Post
    Have you had any trouble with your pharmacy getting medications that require refrigeration, and therefore overnight deliveries. We plan to travel in areas with either a CVS or Walgreens, in order to transfer regular medications, however, the specialty medications are another level of management they will need to be delivered to UPS or FEDEX
    Not sure about Walgreens, but I get medicine that requires refrigeration via mail order a mail order pharmacy. There are several I know of; Optima, Express-Scripts, and Caremark. There may be others. Caremark is affiliated with CVS. They will ship to just about any US address via UPS.

My medications is shipped with freeze packs inside a disposable styrofoam cooler. Usually arrives in two days after being shipped (to South Carolina from Ohio) and the freeze packs are almost always still hard frozen. Sometimes takes a day or two for them to actually process the order prior to shipment. I believe you have to order a 90 day supply to use them. Likely there may be exceptions for controlled substances.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Not sure about Walgreens, but I get medicine that requires refrigeration via mail order a mail order pharmacy. There are several I know of; Optima, Express-Scripts, and Caremark. There may be others. Caremark is affiliated with CVS. They will ship to just about any US address via UPS.

My medications is shipped with freeze packs inside a disposable styrofoam cooler. Usually arrives in two days after being shipped (to South Carolina from Ohio) and the freeze packs are almost always still hard frozen. Sometimes takes a day or two for them to actually process the order prior to shipment. I believe you have to order a 90 day supply to use them. Likely there may be exceptions for controlled substances.
    Our current meds arrive in thick styrofoam and freezer packs, and Accredo and CVS Caremark. We actually only are allotted a month supply, sadly!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are full-timers and use Express Scripts (Tricare/retired military). If we're moving, meds go to our Escapees mail address and we have them forwarded by FedEx 2-day. If we're in one place long enough (as we are this winter near grandkids), I go on-line and enter a temporary mailing address and the meds come straight to us. 90-day supply and $10 copay with Tricare.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been our experience while on the road, we learned you need to plan ahead and be sure the next stop allows meds to be delivered..there are the few exceptions that will not accept deliveries. Also I learned some scripts can only be transfered twice so transfering at each need did not work for me. I also thought that going with a national chain like Sams Club stores does not necessarily mean you can refill trouble free (don't know about their mail order pharmacy), each club has their own data base and still had to transfer the script.

Garys meds come from the VA so if we are on the move we have to change address with each move and call the pharmacy to confirm so it goes to the right place . Most of those are 90 days refills
    A national mail order pharmacy will likely be your best bet. As to which one ? ...lots of research
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just started full timing and I'm getting my specialty med from CVS/Specialty. I've been using the pickup at a store option; CVS/Specialty ships the med to one of their local pharmacies and I pick it up when I'm in the area. I try to order it about a week before I need to give them plenty of time.

You call also have packages delivered to a UPS store for a fee, or a FedEx Office store if shipped via FedEx. Just contact the store first to confirm they offer that service first and find out the requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeff, Ben, and many paws
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 399TH-R
    2021 Ford F-450 Platinum (previously 2013 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We are full-timers and use Express Scripts (Tricare/retired military). If we're moving, meds go to our Escapees mail address and we have them forwarded by FedEx 2-day. If we're in one place long enough (as we are this winter near grandkids), I go on-line and enter a temporary mailing address and the meds come straight to us. 90-day supply and $10 copay with Tricare.

Rob
    The meds are on ice and can't be remailed without being opened and the ice packs re-frozen unfortunately. Worst case scenario is I will mail it to family and have them refreeze/reship it. We have a month supply of the meds only, as they are bi-weekly or monthly injections.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff&Ben View Post
    We just started full timing and I'm getting my specialty med from CVS/Specialty. I've been using the pickup at a store option; CVS/Specialty ships the med to one of their local pharmacies and I pick it up when I'm in the area. I try to order it about a week before I need to give them plenty of time.

You call also have packages delivered to a UPS store for a fee, or a FedEx Office store if shipped via FedEx. Just contact the store first to confirm they offer that service first and find out the requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is perfect, we expect different routes for delivery depending on the pharmacy the insurance provider uses. to a pharmacy or to the UPS store! Just looking for first-hand knowledge of the experience, thank you for replying very helpful!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    This has been our experience while on the road, we learned you need to plan ahead and be sure the next stop allows meds to be delivered..there are the few exceptions that will not accept deliveries. Also I learned some scripts can only be transfered twice so transfering at each need did not work for me. I also thought that going with a national chain like Sams Club stores does not necessarily mean you can refill trouble free (don't know about their mail order pharmacy), each club has their own data base and still had to transfer the script.

Garys meds come from the VA so if we are on the move we have to change address with each move and call the pharmacy to confirm so it goes to the right place . Most of those are 90 days refills
    A national mail order pharmacy will likely be your best bet. As to which one ? ...lots of research
    Very helpful Marcy, I appreciate it!