User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RAM removes CP4.2 from 2021 2500 and 3500 Trucks

Good news in the last couple of days that RAM will no longer use the dreaded CP4.2 fuel pump in the 6.7 Cummins. I sure hope that they take care of those of us that have the CP4.2 in our 2019 and 2020 RAMS so we don't continue to have issues with the fuel pump grenading and taking out the entire fuel system.

https://www.hdrams.com/ram-moves-awa...pump-for-2021/

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another concern is the hit on resale value the ‘19 and ‘20’s will take knowing those years have a pumps prone to failures.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Another concern is the hit on resale value the ‘19 and ‘20’s will take knowing those years have a pumps prone to failures.
    Agreed. I have been thinking about that as well. I usually keep vehicles for 10 years so usually this does not affect me. In this case I may start to look when the warranty is out or purchase an extended warranty and then trade it later. I am really hoping that RAM steps up and changes out the CP4.2 to the new pump in my 2019 3500 but realistically I doubt that this will happen.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the new pump better, or worse than the CP4.2? I guess the author of that article believes that anything is better. I wonder how he knows....

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by psdxoh View Post
    Is the new pump better, or worse than the CP4.2? I guess the author of that article believes that anything is better. I wonder how he knows....
    From what I have heard it is the CP3 pump used on the previous generation RAMS. I would assume that there are some updates to meet the emissions requirements but from what I have heard the CP3 pump is nearly indestructable.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the real question is for those of us that have the 2019 or 2020 is;

1. What causes the breakdown? Is there anything we can do driving or maintenance wise to avoid a failure?

2. Can we upgrade to the CP3?
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post

1. What causes the breakdown? Is there anything we can do driving or maintenance wise to avoid a failure?

No idea on your first question. If you search the internet there is more information than you could probably read in your lifetime about the failures on Ford and GM trucks and some in the last bit on RAMS. I use Howes Meaner Cleaner as it helps with lubricity, water and keeps the fuel system clean. Not sure if it will help or not but makes me feel better.

From the HDRAMS (Ram Cares) forum many are asking the same question about converting to the CP3 as well. So far FCA has not provided any insight but my guess is probably not if the bean counters and lawyers have thier way. Likely less money to repair the small percentage that happen under warranty than to do a massive recall for 2 model years of trucks. I really hope that they do a recall but not expecting it. Just going to drive it at least for another 4 years until the warranty is out and then hope I get a good trade in value if I decide to move on.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best case scenario is that your CP4 grenades under warranty and they don't find rust in it. If they find water or traces of anything related to water then you're SOL.
    I have a 2019 Ram 3500 CTD and the dealer offers a Lifetime warranty with purchase. The HPFP is covered. I can get it repaired anywhere as long as the other shop asks for and gets approval for repairs.
    While the warranty may not be worth anything if the dealer goes belly up, which I doubt they will as they're the only Ram dealer in town, it does offer some comfort when owning a truck with the CP4.

I would add to that like every other topic on the internet you can have dozens of pages about one guy having an issue. If you had dozens or 100's of people posting new threads all year long about their CP4 failing then I'd be worried. Right now I really don't know why Ram has switched back. They obviously new before hand that the CP4 has a history.
    I am on a CTD forum and yes you get some CP4 failure threads. Maybe 3-4 over a long span. 3-4 does not mean you have a catastrophic issue.

Does the switch back have to do with suspected failures or does it have something to do with performance? It seems stupid to know a part could have a higher rate of failure and still go ahead and use it, vs staying the course with a proven part.

Now that the 2021's have made the switch I guess it's time to ask you local Ram dealers tech guy why.
    Last edited by goducks14; 12-31-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post

There are several issues, I will touch on two. The piston(s) have a roller that follows a cam. There is nothing to prevent the roller from turning in the bore, and the roller ends up sideways to the cam. Then the resulting debri circulates thru the fuel system.
    The failures seem to random. It literally Is like playing Russian Roulette. Any time you start the truck, your number can come up.
    FYI... I used to own a CP4 truck. When it was new truck time, I only looked at non CP4 trucks.

2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    There are several issues, I will touch on two. The piston(s) have a roller that follows a cam. There is nothing to prevent the roller from turning in the bore, and the roller ends up sideways to the cam. Then the resulting debri circulates thru the fuel system.
    The failures seem to random. It literally Is like playing Russian Roulette. Any time you start the truck, your number can come up.
    FYI... I used to own a CP4 truck. When it was new truck time, I only looked at non CP4 trucks.

When I bought my 2019 I didn't realize until after I had the truck home that Cummins and RAM changed to the CP4 truck. I was or so I thought also shopping for a none CP4 truck. I love my 3500 just now know that I have the CP4.2 that could give me problems unfortunately. Once warranty is up if FCA has not done a recall on the CP4.2 yet I will need to make a choice of keep it or trade it.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast