User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stas2009 View Post
    We have pulled our 42’ with a 250 Diesel since getting it in 2017. Never 1 issue. Husband is ready for a new truck and looking at a 350 but may stick with 250. I would suggest to anyone have your camper specs with you when buying a tow vehicle.
    Let me be the first to tell you...........You're Overloaded!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My comments are based on "reading the question" - which was a new Ford F250 versus a GMC 2500. Most responses to these type of question seem to veer towards 3/4 or 1 ton etc - but I will add "with good intentions". My last 4 vehicles have all been Ford products. I recently decided to upgrade from a 2018 F150 Platinum to a new F250 to pull our 2018 Imagine 2500 RL - with the possibility a small 5th wheel sometime in the future. I like Ford products but here in Canada it was impossible trying to find what I was looking for without ordering a new truck. Delivery dates are uncertain, kind of 3 to 4 months, and of course my trade-in value now becomes an unknown until the new truck arrives - handing leverage to the dealer. The price of a new 2021 was unknown by my dealer until a few weeks ago and when I priced the 2020 version for comparison over the last 3-months it continually increased. When I finally received the official pricing - a big discount (around $8000) was available if I knew someone who worked at Ford. I don't know what marketing genius came up with that idea - but my Ford salesperson suggested she might be able to come up with a name (how considerate). I've always put some money down at the front end and financed for my vehicles over time - even though I generally trade them in every 3-years - Ford's interest rate was 4% on the F250's which to me was the final deal breaker. I was hoping to buy a 2021 F250 Lariat with the diesel engine - which I think would have been a great truck for my purposes. Last week I checked around and found a dealer with a new 2021 Chevrolet Silverado High Country 2500HD / Duramax Diesel - pricing was acceptable, trade in value was established and the financing rate was 2%. Deal done and the trucks in my driveway. Even though I drove myself nuts over the past 6-months, watching YouTube videos, reading countless reviews, agonizing over what truck to choose and finally deciding on the Ford - there comes a time when enough is enough. I refused to be taken advantage of by Ford and in the end I really like what the truck ended up buying.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diesel versus gas becomes a big part of this question. Although both are solid choices. For Ford, the new 7.3 gas and the 6.7 diesel are as good as it gets power wise from anyone out there. Whether the Ram diesel has 25 more lb ft of torque or not, the Ford plant consistently outperforms it. Both the GM and Ford are solid trucks without known major issues, and they are both running the same transmission, co-developed (regardless of what brand name they tack onto it).

SO, a lot of it is personal preference. And the new GM trucks have a controversial design with a really high hood that negatively affects visibility. On the flip side, they have the best camera options and the steps to get to the bed, at all four bed corners, are surprisingly useful in my experience.

Then there is the fact that the Ford is aluminum. This is undervalued in my opinion. If you live somewhere that salts the road, the Ford bodies aren’t degrading. You would still have to care for the frame, but the bodies are holding up really well.

Finally, as someone else has mentioned, the deal matters. But the deal matters after the performance, and the two trucks drive and feel different. Get out there and give them a try! Would love to hear impressions
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    ...Both the GM and Ford are solid trucks without known major issues, and they are both running the same transmission, co-developed (regardless of what brand name they tack onto it).
    My understanding is the 10 speed in the Superduty was not co-developed with GM. The 10 speed that they both worked on is used in their light duty vehicles.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    My understanding is the 10 speed in the Superduty was not co-developed with GM. The 10 speed that they both worked on is used in their light duty vehicles.
    You are 100% correct that it is a different transmission than the light duty, but it has been widely speculated that the Ford and GM HD trans are also a shared design. They didn’t announce an agreement like with the light duties though, and to your credit, I didn’t find any official word saying they are definitively the same. The 10spd is produced by GM - you have to go 4500 plus to get a 6spd Allison. But that wouldn’t deter me at all if it was similarly validated.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you check the king ranch payload. We did check before buying.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bahamas1963. I'm a ford guy. Have had three f250's and now have the F350. 600,000+ miles between them towing and not towing with only two problems both on my 2005
    6 liter. Lost a turbo @ 88K and my fuel injection control module at 111K. I concur with several others on this thread about stepping up to the one ton especially if you intend on eventually getting a 5th wheel. The price f250/350differential is not that great and you really wont have to worry about what your towing unless you go crazy and get a really big 5th wheel/toy hauler. Don't be to surprised when you do start looking at 5th wheels and your wife starts liking the dual vanity setup, or the residential refrigerator or the under counter dish washer or the front living room setup or the washer/dryer ....... My point is you would likely end up needing the one ton. Lastly, I do have a suggestion and that is to get what ford calls the Ultimate Tow Camera Package. Chevy/GM has similar. It will make your hitching and backing so much easier.

Now....tell us the address to your little 600 square foot get away in the Bahamas......................
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    Diesel versus gas becomes a big part of this question. Although both are solid choices. For Ford, the new 7.3 gas and the 6.7 diesel are as good as it gets power wise from anyone out there. Whether the Ram diesel has 25 more lb ft of torque or not, the Ford plant consistently outperforms it. Both the GM and Ford are solid trucks without known major issues, and they are both running the same transmission, co-developed (regardless of what brand name they tack onto it).

SO, a lot of it is personal preference. And the new GM trucks have a controversial design with a really high hood that negatively affects visibility. On the flip side, they have the best camera options and the steps to get to the bed, at all four bed corners, are surprisingly useful in my experience.

Then there is the fact that the Ford is aluminum. This is undervalued in my opinion. If you live somewhere that salts the road, the Ford bodies aren’t degrading. You would still have to care for the frame, but the bodies are holding up really well.

Finally, as someone else has mentioned, the deal matters. But the deal matters after the performance, and the two trucks drive and feel different. Get out there and give them a try! Would love to hear impressions
    Remember many states use AlCl which pits aluminum but is safer for steel. All depends on where you live. As far as the truck goes it is personal preference they are so similar in capacities. I also recommend the 1 ton as ther is no such thing as too much tow vehicle but certainly there is not enough

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahamas1963 View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. I have a couple Ford dealers trying to sell me a 2021 F250 with the high capacity trailer tow. I don’t know that we will get a 5er but if we do not planning a real large one. We are both pretty simple and don’t require a lot! Our place in the Bahamas is under 600 sq ft and we are comfortable there. Have a good holiday.
    I've been looking across Texas for an F250 Lariat with the HCTT! Adds the large differential to the F250 and makes it comparable to the F350! In some states insurance and registration is less with the F250, YMMV.

The High Capacity Trailer Towing package is the way to go in an F250! Check the Ford towing guide and see for yourself.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not a diehard Ford or GMC owner. Had both through the years. It seems most opinions on towing the Ford is better and smoother ride is GMC. I have a deal worked out on a 2021 f250 ultimate Lariat with the High Capacity Tow package that adds the 350’s axle. It doesn’t have the LED headlights though. Some reviews i read say the halogens are not very good. Also the payload sticker is only at 2,700lbs. And 10,800 GVW. I have a GMC dealer trying to sell me a 2500 AT4 for about the same money with the employee pricing. It has more options, 11,350 GVW and almost 3,500 payload. Plus it has LED headlights and lots of cameras. Less horses and less torque but lots more than i ever had in the past. I like the Ford but seems like a $78,000 truck should have LED lights as standard equipment!! Our little getaway is in Freeport, Grand Bahama. Very quiet and beautiful beaches!! Heading down in a couple weeks for a little break and then plan to start on our little venture in March with my wife as a travel nurse and explore the US.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast