User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow vehicle?? 2021 Ford F-250 or GMC 2500HD

We are proud owners of a new 2600rb and pulled it home last week from dealer with my 2019 GMC 1500SLT. My wife is wanting to try travel nursing for us to explore the US and Canada. I’m not feeling safe and confident with the 1500 and looking at the new Ford 250 and GMC 2500. There is a possibility if we enjoy this i could see possibly switching to a fifth wheel but nothing overly large. Wanted thoughts and opinions of others to help this decision.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! My husband and I had a travel trailer for 5 years. Loved the setup and enjoyed when our kids were still home however, our first big trip for a month to Florida he said no more and never again. We pulled it with a Ford King Ranch 150. We now have a momentum on order and a king Ranch 250. The fifth wheel is much less stress for him to pull. I don’t pull it (well have not learned yet) so the responsibility all falls on him and the fifth has taken that away. We personally love the fifth wheel space and the ability to take our toys with us. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahamas1963 View Post
    We are proud owners of a new 2600rb and pulled it home last week from dealer with my 2019 GMC 1500SLT. My wife is wanting to try travel nursing for us to explore the US and Canada. I’m not feeling safe and confident with the 1500 and looking at the new Ford 250 and GMC 2500. There is a possibility if we enjoy this i could see possibly switching to a fifth wheel but nothing overly large. Wanted thoughts and opinions of others to help this decision.
    There is a certainly a learning curve between pulling a tow behind and a 5th wheel camping trailer. When trying to figure out the size truck you need for a 5ver, there are three things you need to know..AND Remember.
    1. The truck's payload capacity
    2. The truck's payload capacity
    3. The truck's payload capacity.

Now, a bit of an explanation. 5th Wheel camping trailers will put at least 20% of the trailer weight down as "pin weight" on the truck. So for example, a 5ver trailer that weighs 12,000 lbs when loaded, will normally have 20% (or more) of that total weight being pin weight. So 12,000 time 20% is 2400 lbs of pin weight and 9600 lb of weight on the axles of the trailer. Most 3/4 Ton trucks, if they are diesel engine equipped, have a lot less payload capacity than their gas motored counter parts. And that of course is because of the weigh of a diesel engine. So, what most folks do when calculating what size truck they need for a 5th Wheel Camping trailer is this. Use the GVWR of the trailer and multiply THAT number times the 20% factor and use that number for sizing a new truck. And also remember, it's not just the pin weight of the trailer, it's anything and everything else that goes in/on the truck. Obviously you need a 5th wheel hitch. You also may be carrying a passenger or passengers. You may want or have a toolbox in the bed of the truck with it loaded up with "stuff". Some folks carry firewood with them when they go camping. You may have a generator and extra fuel...bicycles, etc, etc. The point I'm making is that when you try to size a truck for a 5ver camping trailer, all those things I mentioned should be considered as additional weight....besides just the weight of the trailer and hitch for it. When you use the GVWR of the trailer, you know that the trailer should never weigh more than that, so in effect, you are using a "worst case scenario". Also, when you see a published pin weight for a trailer, that is normally (almost always) the pin weight that is when a trailer is completely empty...in other words, as it came off of the assembly line. The dealer will then add propane and propane tanks and a battery when it gets to the dealership, so the factory published pin weight has now already increased from what is publish about it. Then you start loading it with everything that you will need/want to have with you when you camp and all of a sudden that factory pin weight number has grown from maybe 1500 lbs to 2500 lb....or in the case of a larger 5th wheel, from 3200 lb to 4400 lbs. Hope this helps a little and good luck in your new camping experiences.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test drive both, see what you like better, but get the 1 ton version, especially if there is a chance of getting a 5th wheel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stas2009 View Post
    Congratulations! My husband and I had a travel trailer for 5 years. Loved the setup and enjoyed when our kids were still home however, our first big trip for a month to Florida he said no more and never again. We pulled it with a Ford King Ranch 150. We now have a momentum on order and a king Ranch 250. The fifth wheel is much less stress for him to pull. I don’t pull it (well have not learned yet) so the responsibility all falls on him and the fifth has taken that away. We personally love the fifth wheel space and the ability to take our toys with us. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.
    If it's not too late you might consider the 350 truck. The prices aren't that far apart but that 350 has a much higher towing rating than the 250. Some states charge a lot more for the i ton so that is something you would have to check out first.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Test drive both, see what you like better, but get the 1 ton version, especially if there is a chance of getting a 5th wheel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I must of had a brain fart.....I forgot to tell him that ^^^^ also. Pretty much, a 3/4T truck is NOT a good choice for a 5ver, except for a pretty small one. Thanks for adding that in.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3500, you are wanting to live in it and you will have more stuff than campers.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have pulled our 42’ with a 250 Diesel since getting it in 2017. Never 1 issue. Husband is ready for a new truck and looking at a 350 but may stick with 250. I would suggest to anyone have your camper specs with you when buying a tow vehicle.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for reply. Good luck with your Momentum. We are jealous here in Michigan but someday we may join the 5er club after we see how this venture in travel nursing goes. Merry Christmas!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your thoughts. I have a couple Ford dealers trying to sell me a 2021 F250 with the high capacity trailer tow. I don’t know that we will get a 5er but if we do not planning a real large one. We are both pretty simple and don’t require a lot! Our place in the Bahamas is under 600 sq ft and we are comfortable there. Have a good holiday.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast