User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel turbo cool down

I'm new to a diesel (2020 F350 SRW) and learning more and more everyday and slowly building up my knowledge base of a lot of Do's and Dont's. I learned a lot off of the "DEF" post a few days ago and want to do all I can to keep my engine running good for years to come.
    Does anyone have any good links to diesel cool down and turbo cool down. Our shop mechanics used to tell us that the worst thing we could do for our fire engines was to run them as hard as we did from a cold start and shut them down quickly after a call. They always told us to let the engine sit for five minutes and let it cool down and it would help out with the life of the engine and the turbo. I've read the same with my 6.7 engine that I should let it cool down after pulling a load and working the engine hard but how does this apply to everyday driving. Is the turbo working after running around town and the engine is up to operating temperature and should I allow for a cool down after around town driving or even an hour on the highway under no load? I looked through the gauges and was surprised to see there isnt a turbo temperature gauge.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all.
    Larry & Deb
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 F350 Lariat SRW
    Eastern Ks.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is from the 2020 owner's manual:

SWITCHING OFF THE ENGINE - 6.7L DIESEL

Switch the ignition off.
    To help prolong engine life, we recommended you allow the engine to idle for three to five minutes, especially after any of the following:

• Continuous engine speed.
    • High ambient temperature.
    • High GVW or GCW operation, for example heavy loads or trailers.
      This allows the turbo charged engine to cool down.

I used an OBDII adapter to monitor EGT's on my last three diesel trucks and they really didn't get very high unless I was towing up hills. For everyday driving around town (not towing), I just shut the engine off when I arrive at my destination. When towing I keep the engine running at rest stops and my wife and I take turns using the bathroom in the RV. I have a 60g fuel tank so we don't stop for fuel (and shut engine off) while towing. When we arrive at an RV park, it takes a few minutes to park the RV and by then the turbo has cooled off enough to shut the engine down. So, we are following the recommendation in the owner's manual :-)
    Last edited by bertschb; 12-24-2020 at 03:06 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a remote start feature, you can shut the truck off, and within seconds remotely start it...
    Which locks the doors and lets it idle away, running the HVAC system, as well as allowing the turbo bearings (the reason to idle it) to cool down while oil is still being circulated through them....

A trip home from the grocery store is no big workout, especially if the last few minutes are driven like an Old Man... (See turbo bearings above)

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
    2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that section of the manual and it's hard to remember after years of gas operation but I'm getting better at it.For me the biggest question is around town driving and letting the truck cool down and it was also a big consideration when buying and deciding between gas and Diesel.
    Larry & Deb
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 F350 Lariat SRW
    Eastern Ks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tow Vehicle is a 2011 F-250 6.7L Diesel. Everyday driving I do not worry about a cool down. When towing the 5th wheel and we arrive at the campsite, I find that by the time I check in, drive to the site, walk the site and then back in and unhook, I have met the threshold of cool down.

At rest stops and fuel stops, I often leave the truck running but this is dependent on the driving conditions preceding the stop.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @jstchilln
    Just don't worry about it. By the time you get off the interstate and pull up to the pumps or find a parking spot things should have cooled down. On your 2020 I believe you can even check the turbo or exhaust temperature. I have an add on gauge. Below 1000 is cool. you should be between 600 and 800 at idle if I remember correctly. Been running diesels since 1985 and never had a turbo issue. Just enjoy a fantastic truck
    Merry Christmas.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should let the truck idle for a few minutes after heavy towing or large grades before shutting down. Most of the turbos have a "free floating" bearing system which relies on oil to function properly. If you shut down while the engine is extremely hot, the oil can possible boil and cause oil "varnish" on the bearings and in the oil supply feed holes. After time, this can cause reduction in oil flow which can cause turbo failure. Running synthetic oil will help this condition. I used to be a R&D technician in another life and did testing on turbos. One of the tests on a dyno was to run the engine at 1400 degrees F turbine inlet temp for 20 minutes and bring it to idle and quickly shut it off, let heat soak for 10 minutes then start up and as soon as you obtained oil pressure, go to full load max RPM. Upon teardown you could see a sheen of varnish on the bearings.

Tim
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    @jstchilln
    Been running diesels since 1985 and never had a turbo issue. Just enjoy a fantastic truck
    Amazing! I had a 2004 6.0L F250 and that thing had the turbo replaced 3 times in 24 months. Same engine as you but a completely different experience. The variable vanes would stick, blow the o/p pipe off the turbo. Pulling a 5th wheel with a turbo diesel with a non functioning turbo is enlightening as to how much the turbo contributes to power generation.

To the OP, just regular driving I do not idle the truck after arriving at my destination. After pulling a trailer down the hwy, I always idle for at least 5 minutes. I'm told the oil in the turbo bearings literally boils off from heat if you don't.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 12-25-2020 at 06:15 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rule of thumb I have always used is let the EGT get down to 350*F before shutting down in order to prevent coking/carbon build up on the turbo. It only takes a few minutes or less usually when towing but YMMV. If you don't have a gage, then more minutes is safer than less...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    If you have a remote start feature, you can shut the truck off, and within seconds remotely start it...
    Which locks the doors and lets it idle away, running the HVAC system, as well as allowing the turbo bearings (the reason to idle it) to cool down while oil is still being circulated through them....

A trip home from the grocery store is no big workout, especially if the last few minutes are driven like an Old Man... (See turbo bearings above)

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
    This is exactly what I do as well when traveling and pull into a rest area etc. The truck stays locked and even if someone broke the window to try to steal it they can't start it without the key. For round town driving etc I just shut it off when I get where I'm going.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast