User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TGlock24 View Post
    had to breath off the tank with no regulator and surface, .
    Ok, that's hard to do. I am really glad that I didn't have to do that. The closest I came was diving the USS Spiegel Grove after it rolled upright. I kept hearing bubbles. I swam around checking each of our group for a leak, nada. Hmmm! finally decided to check my gear, settled on the deck, took gear off. Sure enough my regulator hose was leaking at the first stage. Thinking it was just loose I grabbed it and gave a big twist to tighten the hose on the first stage. Hose came off in my hand, air was spewing out rapidly. I was diving with two other experienced divers. I could see saucer eyes through their masks. I calmly turned my air off and signaled to the closest one share air. She passed me her secondary and I signaled up. The three of us started up from around 90 feet and had to do decomp stops. When the first partner started to get low on air I shared with the second partner. The plan and training work, if you just keep calm.

I am having trouble remembering what year I first certified, I would have to go dig the cards out of the safe and I am too lazy to do that. Here's a picture of my wife two timing with a dolphin. Taken in 2006, we had been diving a couple of years at this time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kiss.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	31380

There were a few J valves still around but the Luxfer 6/1988 tank recall kind of put an end to them. One of my dive partners precedes that time period, he was telling me how they used to put spearmint oil in the tanks to make the air taste good. He recalls using may west vests, double hosed regulators, and steel tanks. Quite a bit before my time.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do any of you old time divers remember the Dacor Nautilus system? Made of hard plastic. This was before we had modern BC's. I remember I thought it was really cool at the time (1978). I was a big Dacor fan back then. I bought a Dacor regulator that I took to Maui with me when I moved there at age 19. Everything I owned was in one suitcase and it was half full of dive gear.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 5.32.30 PM.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	1,003.4 KB 
ID:	31381
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Do any of you old time divers remember the Dacor Nautilus system? Made of hard plastic. This was before we had modern BC's. I remember I thought it was really cool at the time (1978). I was a big Dacor fan back then. I bought a Dacor regulator that I took to Maui with me when I moved there at age 19. Everything I owned was in one suitcase and it was half full of dive gear.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 5.32.30 PM.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	1,003.4 KB 
ID:	31381
    I still have my Dacor regular from the 70’s and it still works well. I use it as a backup system. I wonder what it would be worth to a museum... LOL
    Thomas & Makiko
    2021 GD2500RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Yep! I had one. Which reservoir in Oregon did you do your check out dive?
    Oh man, memory check time. That was only 45 years ago! I think it was Hagg Lake, out West of Forest Grove. I grew up in the Beaverton area (Cedar Hills specifically).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New to this Forum. Found this thread and wanted to comment.
    I have pretty much been alternating between Cozumel and Roatan. Was doing an annual road trip to dive in California, but some told me that what I was spending on gas, that I could fly to Cozumel. So, this year will be Cozumel instead of California.
    2023 Reflection, 297RSTS
    2023 F250, CC, SWB, 7.3 Godzilla
    Reese Strait-Line Hitch
    SGM, USA (Ret), SCUBA Diver

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick31 View Post
    West coast diver here. Mostly dive Catalina and some northern Channel Islands. Ruined my wife for local diving by taking her to the Bahamas. Can’t get her back in a wet suit. Hope to dive more as retirement gets closer
    We were diving with Ted and then Nathan on the Spectre.
    2023 Reflection, 297RSTS
    Reese Strait-Line Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw your comments to me. Yes most of our diving now is from our boat. Mostly front side of Catalina.

Our boat diving has been mainly on Maui aboard the Extended Horizons charter boat. Unfortunately I hear they lost the boat and shop in the fire. Our prayers and best wishes go out to them.
    2020 Reflection 150 240 RL
    2020 Ford F-250 4WD Crew Cab Diesel
    2004 Dodge 2500 2wd crew cab Diesel
    2000 Carver 450 Voyager Motor Yacht

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have wanted to get back to Cozumel for some time now. We dove a couple of years ago in Costa Rica, would like to get there again. We have a cruise next year from FL through the Panama Canal then back to LA. Hope to find some diving opportunities on that trip
    2020 Reflection 150 240 RL
    2020 Ford F-250 4WD Crew Cab Diesel
    2004 Dodge 2500 2wd crew cab Diesel
    2000 Carver 450 Voyager Motor Yacht

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

COzumel

Quote Originally Posted by Nick31 View Post
    I have wanted to get back to Cozumel for some time now. We dove a couple of years ago in Costa Rica, would like to get there again. We have a cruise next year from FL through the Panama Canal then back to LA. Hope to find some diving opportunities on that trip
    I'll be in Cozumel in early November with my dive buddy and her sister.

I like diving Catalina. Haven't dove it for a while. Did the last 2 dives for my c-card from the Magician in 2012. Also, like diving with Mike and Kim from the Cee Ray. Mostly because Kim is a chef.
    2023 Reflection, 297RSTS
    Reese Strait-Line Hitch

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We only dive in the Caribbean now. The clear and warmer waters, vibrant colors of reefs and marine life are so beautiful and we turn it into a little get away at the same time. You can still get some crazy and some reasonable deals in resorts with dive shops. We got to a different location every time.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast