User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have always thought of our RV as a secondary residence or even quarantine space, but it always takes us a day or two to prep it for departure. So not exactly 'bug out' mode, lol
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    So the process of preparing and thinking ahead and planning a route and a place to go are what I am asking about.
    I like RV Sailor's idea of the high seas.

To me, the plan totally depends on the "triggering event".

If it's a humongous natural disaster (i.e. Yellowstone eruption, Cascadia subduction event), then where and how you go would likely be in cooperation with a lot of other people affected in the same way. (Small digression - I lived in Santa Clara during the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 and the neighborhood camaraderie was actually pretty fun)

If it's a super serious pandemic, I reckon that'd be something different. What if instead of COVID-19 (with <2% mortality rate) there was COVID-21 with a 95% mortality rate? I suspect neighborly cooperation would look pretty different. I'd certainly want to be away from people but I'd also want to have very good communication mechanisms no matter where I bugged out to.

Hmm ...
    signature

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a long talk with my brother. He thinks we are in for some "ruff" times. With armed folks and all. He wants to "be prepared". He's old like me and I told him that he and I would be the first to go. Besides, we live in about as remote an area as you could find -- way back in the mountains of Colorado. DW and I have agreed that in the event of a natural disaster, we would pull the RV to a safe location and live in it. Problem now is -- it is snowed in and I could not move it. I told my brother we would have to move in with him. He really got a funny look on his face. Said it would be OK if we brought DW's fudge. Guy has his priorities right.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I survived the tour in Vietnam. I’ve been through many Hurricanes in Florida where we evacuated. I was also in Biloxi Mississippi after hurricane Camille, and lived in South Florida during hurricane Andrew, Floyd, Irma, Wilma, Jeanne and Charlie . We wrote out four hurricanes in South Florida one year.

The most scary time was rioting after Martin Luther King was shot. At that time I was in the military and I was living in Columbia South Carolina when the town was on curfew due to riots.

I am not hearing any chatter locally that there’s gonna be a problem in the next month or so. But then again I don’t go on social media and I’m careful which news channels I listen to.

It does concern me when I see pick up trucks in remote areas of Florida driving with giant American flags attach the truck beds looking like the Al-Qaeda trucks on the news but with flags flying.

As I stated earlier, we own several acres with a vacation cabin in a gated very remote Florida community. The only one way in is through a locked and guarded gate house, and our cabin is 4 miles from the gate. It’s 30 miles from the nearest town. Our RV is stored at the community storage lot. I don’t know where we would go that would be safer. There are 3600 acres belonging to the community with 2600 acres that is hunt area. Practically everyone knows all the neighbors and we all look out for each other. We even have our own private grass runway airport, NRA Sanctioned rifle range, gun range, skeet shooting etc.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one with a big ol Grand Design fifth wheel or travel trailer is going to be able to "bug out" for a big disaster. If the roads turn to crap, you're not going anywhere with a 16k lb trailer in tow. You need an Earthroamer type vehicle for that. Think huge military 4x4 with a motor converted to run on any grade of diesel fuel. Minimum 41" military tires with MRAP wheels, and someway to carry extras. Comprehensive med kit with emergency meds and antibiotics. Lots of water with a way to filter contaminated stream water. Solar and lithium battery energy system. Vehicle should be able to resist small arms fire. Fiberglass ain't gonna cut it. You'd also better have a good number of defensive weapons that you're trained to use, along with a sufficient amount of ammo. And then there's the food you need to store.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow.

2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen many zombie apocalypse movies, so I guess I'm prepared, at least mentally...lol

I don't fear my fellow countrymen and if some foreign group wants to come on over and mess with us again, then 'Let's Roll' !!!
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a smallish group of friends here locally and the plan has always been to meet up with all our available supplies and self protective equipment and go from there as a group.

If it came to that, I would not drag a 40 ft trailer with me.

Mike
    Last edited by Walaby; 12-28-2020 at 08:39 AM.
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with the Las Vegas valley, as with most other locale's, is there are few roads that lead out of the valley and those are sure to be clogged. There are also numerous 2 tracks heading over the mountains one could use to escape, but with the shear number of off-roaders in the valley with the same idea, I suspect those will be pretty clogged as well. Our best option is to hunker down and "hide in plain sight" until things settle down a bit. Days...weeks...months...who knows. We'll just blend in with all the other sad sacks until such time that we can make a break for it. The RV at that point may still be impractical. YMMV...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    No one with a big ol Grand Design fifth wheel or travel trailer is going to be able to "bug out" for a big disaster. If the roads turn to crap, you're not going anywhere with a 16k lb trailer in tow. You need an Earthroamer type vehicle for that.
    With all respect, I know differently. My job is inventorying routes in BLM, USFS, and state land in the western US. There are plenty of places where I can (and have) hauled my 5th wheels that are quite remote. (at least the BLM considers them remote, and they should know)
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 12-28-2020 at 02:03 PM.
    signature

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast