User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using your RV as a 'escape pod'?

With the threat of civil unrest rising, I am wondering if people intend to use their RV as a 'bug out' vehicle. Where would you go? Would there be others there, or do you go to remote places with no one around? Would you go to national parks, or just park it somewhere off-road and inconspicuous. Am I the only one thinking about this?

Also, I have been thinking maybe taking the trailer down to DC on Jan 6 for the rally. But not sure where to park or whether it's even safe. It would beat hotels, which are mostly full, but maybe have to park it way out of town.
    Last edited by bryancass; 12-26-2020 at 04:01 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could be an interesting discussion - thanks for bringing it up! I'm not a full-on survivalist, but I've thought about the bug-out possibility a few times.

Because of my job, I already know a few places I'd try to go. National parks aren't on the list.
    signature

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    With the threat of civil unrest rising, I am wondering if people intend to use their RV as a 'bug out' vehicle. Where would you go? Would there be others there, or do you go to remote places with no one around? Would you go to national parks, or just park it somewhere off-road and inconspicuous. Am I the only one thinking about this?

Also, I have been thinking maybe taking the trailer down to DC on Jan 6 for the rally. But not sure where to park or whether it's even safe. It would beat hotels, which are mostly full, but maybe have to park it way out of town.
    EDIT: Okay, I probably should have read your entire post... No, you are not the only one thinking about it. All I will say is, plan your escape and hidey-hole very carefully, and be prepped. Beans, bullets, and band-aids. There are a ton of prepper books and resources out there, as long as you compare reach source, you will find a fairly common theme and line of advice; anything outside of that would be more fringe stuff. Me personally, I go the EOTWAWKI (End Of The World As We Know It) route. [emoji16]

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 12-26-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely but not in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Last summer there was a forest fire (small) close to us. The hitch remained on the truck and fresh water in the tank ready to take off on short notice. Only thing that was missing was our clothes and perishables. The rest pretty much stay in the tt all year round.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No talk of civil unrest up here...

But if I had to escape something, I would go in my truck, but I wouldn't be pulling an RV. Can't get off the beaten path dragging an anchor like that. Just my 2 cents.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I actually have a book already I've been reading, The Prepper's Blueprint: The Step-By-Step Guide To Help You Through Any Disaster. Like Ynot4me2 said, it doesn't have to be civil issues or a zombie apocalypse.... it could be a natural or manmade disaster as well. The RV gives us great mobility and a way to go places other people would not go because we carry our bed, bathroom and kitchen with us.

I just have no idea where, in short notice, I would go to be relatively safe and secure. Would you just hook up the trailer and start driving, planning on the road and play it by ear? Or have a specific place, maybe even a rendezvous with others? There's safety and group-wisdom in numbers. I don't think I'd want to try to wing it on my own.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't sense any civil unrest where we're at but there are some REALLY remote places nearby if I needed to bug out in the RV.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've bugged-out a few time dodging hurricanes. We just go to a public campground someplace the bad weather isn't going.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post

No way would I leave your Victor, NY area and go to DC on Jan 6th.

Do you really think that there’s a significant chance of civil unrest?

We have a vacation cabin in a remote area of Florida that’s a gated community. We’ve actually been staying there 90% of the time since the pandemic hit. It’s a hunt and riding club and almost everyone has a good selection of hunting armament. There are different political views at the community but I’m not concerned that anyone would be at risk. We differ in political views but we all get along.

Of course I don’t do social media so my blood pressure is normal. My BIL in NC on the other scares me with his comments. In fact he recently sent me this picture he took from his car of another truck in a local parking lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0B04187B-197D-4B8A-BD48-72F789D31F76.jpeg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Of course I don’t do social media so my blood pressure is normal.
    Staying off social media is a great way to help keep a level head.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast