User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing trailer behind 5th wheel

We are thinking about towing g our golf cart behind our 29RS, trailer weighs 900# as does the golf cart for 1800# total. I weighed tongue with a bathroom scale (not too scientific) and came up with 200#. Factory receiver is rated for 300# tongue. One question I have other than towing it is the height of the receiver vs the trailer tongue when level.. i measured 28" to top of receiver and 12" at the tongue which would mean I need a 16" drop for the ball mount? Appreciate any comments.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d be concerned about that little clearance under the ball that far back. Seems like it might drag going into some areas.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
    We are thinking about towing g our golf cart behind our 29RS, trailer weighs 900# as does the golf cart for 1800# total. I weighed tongue with a bathroom scale (not too scientific) and came up with 200#. Factory receiver is rated for 300# tongue. One question I have other than towing it is the height of the receiver vs the trailer tongue when level.. i measured 28" to top of receiver and 12" at the tongue which would mean I need a 16" drop for the ball mount? Appreciate any comments.
    Be aware that sort of towing (I believe it's called "triple towing", or maybe "double") isn't allowed in all states.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 12-27-2020 at 11:57 AM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have double tow for years. First behind Refection 303 and now Solitude 310. I use 4 inch drop. the same draw bar on both trailers. I pull an Aluma 210 motor cycle trailer. The GVW between 1700 and 2000lbs. I either haul a EZGO, Can Am Spyder or a Polaris Ranger. I do have a camera on the back just watch the rear trailer.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a leaf spring type trailer, you can reverse the mounting point of the axle of trailer, and put the axle under the leaf springs not on top of them to raise the bed of the trailer, but that also could raise the angle of the ramp for the cart. Can you raise the mounting point of the camper, by doing that, it will lower the rear of it. By doing these two things, it will change the gap in between the hitch and trailer coupler for you

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are thinking about towing g our golf cart behind our 29RS, trailer weighs 900# as does the golf cart for 1800# total. I weighed tongue with a bathroom scale (not too scientific) and came up with 200#. Factory receiver is rated for 300# tongue.
    Our Reflection has a receiver rated at 300# but the owners manual specifically says that towing will void the warranty. Things change from model to model so I would suggest call Customer Service to confirm. I did find this "off-hand" comment in a youtube factory tour referencing a Solitude. About the 9 minute mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMcm6AUj39A
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Be aware that sort of towing (I believe it's called "triple towing", or maybe "double") isn't allowed in all states.
    I'm in Texas and it's allowed as long as it's no longer than 65 ft.long with truck and both trailers. Thanks for the heads up though!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Texas and it's allowed as long as it's no longer than 65 ft.long with truck and both trailers. Thanks for the heads up though!
    I doubt if that max length is enforced very much. I’ve been double towing for years (currently 68’4”) in lots of 65’ jurisdictions and never had a problem.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back when I was researching double/triple towing to haul my motorcycles I came across this spread sheet, don't remember where I got it. It's now 10 years old so probably out of date to some degree. We were planning on visiting all of the states we could. So when I found out that towing another trailer behind a 5th wheel wasn't legal in many state I went with plan B. I have seen double/triple towing many times where it is legal. This spreadsheet also has some other interesting towing laws by state, like max length's.

Take it with a grain of salt.

TrailerLaws.xlsx
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For hauling something small like a golf cart or motorcycle, it would be a royal pain to haul the second trailer. Much easier to just trade on a toy hauler so you can maneuver when getting fuel or other tight areas. Maybe if you want to haul a boat the second trailer might be worth it.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast