User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Good point. The problem with my unit right now is it has a locking cam lock where the tab doesn't extend far enough onto the door frame to hold it shut. I can pull on the door with my hand and it comes open. My first thought was just get a little bit longer cam piece on the back.
    True that as well. I suppose someone with a hole saw and a sawzall could easily make an entrance door on any wall of an RV. I guess all I really want to do is make mine harder to get into than my neighbors.
    Have you tried pressing in on the door when you are trying to lock it? Ours needs to be pressed in in order for the lock to catch.

If your coach has the "Keyed-Alike" lock feature, your coach is already harder to get into than your Neighbor's coach.

If you want to make this hold even more secure, there is an RV lock that uses a round key that is designed to replace the RV style lock on that front hold.

Google: "RV Hold locks" to find the company.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Google: "RV Hold locks" to find the company.
    I did that and it returned a bunch of Amazon product links and some random RV lock blogs.

What I did find was a semi-decent review on Industrial Lock & Hardware's offering of different types of cam locks. I think I'll order some.
    Here's a link - https://www.rv-camping.org/rv_storage_locks/
    signature

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did that and it returned a bunch of Amazon product links and some random RV lock blogs.

What I did find was a semi-decent review on Industrial Lock & Hardware's offering of different types of cam locks. I think I'll order some.
    Here's a link - https://www.rv-camping.org/rv_storage_locks/
    Yes that is the key style I was talking about.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Yes that is the key style I was talking about.
    Awesome!
    I think I have slam latches on all but my generator door. I *think* it has 2 nonlocking cam latches and one locking one (that doesn't work for crap). I'm thinking I'll just remove the center locking one, and replace the two outboard unlocking latches with (hopefully) keyed alike "ace" locking cam latches.

I'll post up before & after pictures.
    signature

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went over to my coach to see why the generator door wasn't locking. I was a little surprised at what I found.

Basically, I think the generator door opening was cut just uneven enough such that it fits tight on the two ends, but there's a gap where the cam lock goes. There's enough of a gap just in the middle with the door closed that the tab on the cam lock doesn't reach the door frame.

The lock itself seems to be decent quality, so I went to Ace hardware and got a little bit longer cam lock tab. I'll try it out tomorrow if the weather permits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GeneratorDoor.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	31417
    signature

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went over to my coach to see why the generator door wasn't locking. I was a little surprised at what I found.

Basically, I think the generator door opening was cut just uneven enough such that it fits tight on the two ends, but there's a gap where the cam lock goes. There's enough of a gap just in the middle with the door closed that the tab on the cam lock doesn't reach the door frame.

The lock itself seems to be decent quality, so I went to Ace hardware and got a little bit longer cam lock tab. I'll try it out tomorrow if the weather permits.

Name:	GeneratorDoor.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	31417
    WOW
    Ace hardware had a longer cam lock tab. I don't think I have ever seen the cam lock tabs in any store. I wonder if you got luck or maybe all Ace Hardware stores have them.
    Thanks. I will be looking. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    WOW
    Ace hardware had a longer cam lock tab. I don't think I have ever seen the cam lock tabs in any store.
    Full disclosure - I had to buy the whole lock kit for $10 to get the longer tabs.

Name:	c0c86bfa-4866-415c-aba4-3466360f4873.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	31419
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbecicka View Post
    I’ve wondered the same thing. Ours does have a lock on it but it doesn’t catch so it is pretty much useless. Because of this we try not to store any valuable items in that area, besides the generator. Hopefully someone has come up with a better solution as I would be interested in seeing what others have done.
    Bend the locking arm toward the inside of the compartment using vise grips. Incapsulate as much of the arm as possible in the pliers. In other words, you want the bend as close to the lock pivot as possible. I had to do the front and both propane doors on my Solitude.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying my first RV this month. Up until now, we've been tent and enclosed trailer camping.
    I've always had security concerns because of the M/C and expensive equipment in the trailer. All of those latches are just to keep "the honest - honest". In addition to them, I wired a basic car alarm to the side and back doors. Not perfect, but feel a little more confident. As another note, I chain my generator to the frame and run a small wire loop to the alarm.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out RVLocksandMore - they should be able to provide barrel locks that match your RV key. On the belly door of my Reflection (will do the same when we get our Momentum), I replaced the two outter thumb screws with locks that match my main door... and then put one of the thumb screws I took out into the center position.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12