User Tag List

Thread: GFI and rain

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GFI and rain

Before I pull the bottom off this thing, maybe one of you have had this happen. I have a 2019 GD 337RLS purchased new. The problem I am experiencing is this...

For the fourth time this year we've had rain. For the forth time the GFI on the island popped. Forth time I checked the wet bay and outside outlets for moisture. They were dry. Last time this happened (last month) I replaced the GFI outlet thinking it could be weak after popping and resetting numerous times. After replacement, all was well. We had a little rain this morning and guess what... GFI popped. It always resets after a time, when things dry out.

I designed electrical circuits for equipment and have an extensive knowledge of how these work. I will find the problem, just hope someone has experienced this and can point me in the right direction. We are full timers and the CG frowns on any work being done on site (like removing Coroplast). Hate to have to break down and move the rig to a friends house to fix it.

Here's what I've done to date...

Removed outside outlet and checked for moisture or loose connections.
    Removed wet bay outlet and did the same.
    Replaced GFI.
    Checked wires going into the slides.
    Opened GFI outlet today and removed the line going to the bath, outside, wet bay, and dining slide outlets (all on one line, UGH). Outlet reset and supplied power to other island outlet, so circuit and GFI is good. Reconnected other outlets and GFI popped.

All other outlets are on the inside of the trailer so I haven't removed them since this only happens when it rains (or washing trailer). Final step to isolate this problem will be to start at the rear and spray water on the roof 3 foot at a time and see if I can isolate which area is suspect. Last resort is to remove bottom and separate the outlets on the GFI line and check them one at a time. I know this is a moisture problem and not a ground short, but since I haven't removed the bottom yet, I don't know what they've done in "the void". Any help is appreciated.

Tim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be worried you have a leak inside a wall. Your strategy of wetting small areas may be the answer, but I might check the roof and windows carefully and pop outlets out and inspect for signs of moisture.

Good luck!
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramand337 View Post
    Before I pull the bottom off this thing, maybe one of you have had this happen. I have a 2019 GD 337RLS purchased new. The problem I am experiencing is this...

For the fourth time this year we've had rain. For the forth time the GFI on the island popped. Forth time I checked the wet bay and outside outlets for moisture. They were dry. Last time this happened (last month) I replaced the GFI outlet thinking it could be weak after popping and resetting numerous times. After replacement, all was well. We had a little rain this morning and guess what... GFI popped. It always resets after a time, when things dry out.

I designed electrical circuits for equipment and have an extensive knowledge of how these work. I will find the problem, just hope someone has experienced this and can point me in the right direction. We are full timers and the CG frowns on any work being done on site (like removing Coroplast). Hate to have to break down and move the rig to a friends house to fix it.

Here's what I've done to date...

Removed outside outlet and checked for moisture or loose connections.
    Removed wet bay outlet and did the same.
    Replaced GFI.
    Checked wires going into the slides.
    Opened GFI outlet today and removed the line going to the bath, outside, wet bay, and dining slide outlets (all on one line, UGH). Outlet reset and supplied power to other island outlet, so circuit and GFI is good. Reconnected other outlets and GFI popped.

All other outlets are on the inside of the trailer so I haven't removed them since this only happens when it rains (or washing trailer). Final step to isolate this problem will be to start at the rear and spray water on the roof 3 foot at a time and see if I can isolate which area is suspect. Last resort is to remove bottom and separate the outlets on the GFI line and check them one at a time. I know this is a moisture problem and not a ground short, but since I haven't removed the bottom yet, I don't know what they've done in "the void". Any help is appreciated.

Tim
    I think I remember a problem with the Molex connectors in some Reflections just laying on the corollas and corroding when they get wet. I do not have a Reflection, but I think there was a recall on this. Maybe someone with a better memory can fill in the details. Just a thought.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John. Have looked at the walls and roof, but will inspect them closely before wetting it down.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chris. I'd be suprised if they used Molex connectors on the 120 volt, but until I pull the Coroplast I really can't comment. I can definitely see how that could happen, except for the rain getting into the void area. Then again, I'm never suprised at what any manufacturer will do. I'm sure someone has said that about my designs too. :-)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramand337 View Post
    Hey Chris. I'd be suprised if they used Molex connectors on the 120 volt, but until I pull the Coroplast I really can't comment. I can definitely see how that could happen, except for the rain getting into the void area. Then again, I'm never suprised at what any manufacturer will do. I'm sure someone has said that about my designs too. :-)
    The Molex connectors are used on the 120v wires to go from solid core to stranded wire used in the slide outs (for flexibility). Lots of places for water to get in the underbelly and sit on/be captured by the coroplast, but mostly around the slide outs and suspension. Generally not a problem if you are stationary.

I found one of the threads. Search for "Molex" (in the upper right of each page) for more articles.

Good luck. Hope it is easy to find and fix.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 12-28-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023