User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckwilcox View Post
    . . . I have to admit the tow/haul function has alleviated a few white-knuckle moments on steep downgrades, where diesel engine braking would probably be a bit more comforting. We always travel with empty tanks and minimal provisions. On paper, all the numbers work with truck and trailer, although I have yet to weigh my rig. These are just my observations. I would be interested in thoughts on whether I'm deluding myself with my current combination? Thanks!
    Lacking info on you specific trucks rating it’s difficult to comment on your TV’s cargo or hitch capabilities. Certainly the 3.5 liter eco boost engine has enough torque and hp to tow that weight RV.
    Based on my indicated rpms and the 6.2 liter engine’s speed hp/torque curves, I seldom use more than 225 hp towing our comparably weighted RV and is typically well under 150 hp on flat terrain.

Your engine braking, even in tow haul mode, is going to be less though than a larger displacement engine. On really steep downgrades, you’re likely seeing 4k or even 5k on your tach. I have not seen ours even exceed 3k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your trips are under two hours long you will be fine but anything over that you might consider moving to a 3/4 ton tow vehicle. Our trips are usually 5 to 6 hours long to get to the state parks we camp in so I upgraded from an Expediton to a F250 truck. Our Imagine tt is 6700 lbs dry and around 7700 lbs loaded. Keep in mind that a tow vehicle goes thru a lot of stress when towing, the engine n tranny work harder, the brakes work harder to slow down, tires take a beating and the wind might push you around depending on the direction your heading on windy days. This has been my experience I hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks,
    JB in South Texas
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2010 Ford Expedition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We currently pull our 260RD with a Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel. Yes, it is under rated for this trailer, when it is fully loaded to go camping with 1/3 water. I did stop and weigh it, I'm under the trailer GVWR by 800lbs, but over the combined truck/trailer rating. I did the math and pretty much new that when we purchased the trailer. We do plan on upgrading the truck in about a year when the trucks engine warranty expires. Chrysler had to replace the engine a year ago on their dime, as such I got an extended warranty on the engine. This is a first generation Eco Diesel and unfortunately I have had some issues with it. I will say that in terms of pulling and power, the truck pulls the 260 amazingly well with 14mpg towing in Southern Ca, up over the grapevine (4400ft elevation) and the mountains to 6K to the southern sierras.
    2021 GD 150 Series Reflection 260RD, Lifted 3" with solar. Lippert Turning Point Pin Box. 300watt Inverter. TV = 2021 4wd Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab I6 Cummins Diesel, 6'4" bed, Curt A16 puck system, Custom Bed Tank.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the truck feel safe with the trailer ? what are your weights ready to camp ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trailer weighed out at 8708lbs fully loaded the way we camp with a little over 1/3 water. we had food for three for three days and cloths. when we transferred our camping gear from our old trailer to the 260 we put it on a serious diet, its crazy how much stuff you can collect that you never use in the trailer. The funny thing is in terms of feel, it feels better driving than towing our bumper pull at about the same weight. We had a AF 25w which had a GVWR of 10K. The 260 tows a lot easier and the ride is a lot better in the truck, i'm sure its due to a 5th wheel vs a bumper pull dynamics in general. I should mention i upgraded the brakes on the truck when i had our bumper pull to crossed drilled & vented rotors for better cooling w "Power Stop" brake pads for towing which made a huge difference in breaking as the factory stuff would get very hot at times. The 1500 is 4 wheel disc brakes w/coil rear springs, thus the air bags. I also do not have to put as much air in the air bags as i did with the old trailer, just around 23lbs and the truck hardly drops at all when hitched. This is our first 5th wheel so we are still learning a lot about them.
    I'm not advocating that anyone should ignore the numbers or the trucks GCVWR ratings. We looked at the numbers and new we would be over weighted and close to what we had before, and still decided to move forward with the purchase knowing we would upgrade the truck. With the worlds current situation and Covid 19 being the worst in the country in LA County we know our camping will be limited and mostly close to home for at least 2021, not to mention we are raising our GK with 1 starting college and 1 in the 9th grade, so we still have an anchor in the sand!! For us we are comfortable with our current setup, we dont push the speed limits when towing, in CA the limit is 55 with a trailer, period. So we are happing in the slow lane, not to mention the road conditions in CA are horrible at best.
    2021 GD 150 Series Reflection 260RD, Lifted 3" with solar. Lippert Turning Point Pin Box. 300watt Inverter. TV = 2021 4wd Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab I6 Cummins Diesel, 6'4" bed, Curt A16 puck system, Custom Bed Tank.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you remember what the pin weight was ? I am guessing around 1600lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry no, I do not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy....
    I'm a newbie to this forum. I don't own an RV yet but strongly considering a 2021 260rd. I've been doing my homework and part of that is this forum. I purchased a 2021 Ford F150 a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty certain I chose the right one for towing this 5th wheel. The truck is an XL 4x4 with the 3.5 ecoboost engine, tow package and many other options. It's rated at 14,000lb towing with 3250lb payload so I think I'll be good with this 5th wheel choice. Right now I'm waiting for a few things to wrap up for us then go buy the RV. I'm undecided on the hitch so any suggestions is appreciated. Sorry for stealing the thread!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a B&W Patriot for 6 years and is was rock solid. Never any issues. Guessing you have a Reg cab 8' box so a slider's not necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMeth54 View Post
    Howdy....
    I'm a newbie to this forum. I don't own an RV yet but strongly considering a 2021 260rd. I've been doing my homework and part of that is this forum. I purchased a 2021 Ford F150 a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty certain I chose the right one for towing this 5th wheel. The truck is an XL 4x4 with the 3.5 ecoboost engine, tow package and many other options. It's rated at 14,000lb towing with 3250lb payload so I think I'll be good with this 5th wheel choice. Right now I'm waiting for a few things to wrap up for us then go buy the RV. I'm undecided on the hitch so any suggestions is appreciated. Sorry for stealing the thread!!
    That’s like 400lbs higher than any payload I’ve seen for a 21 HDPP. Would be super curious to see your payload and GVWR stickers if you don’t mind sharing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast