User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foothiller View Post
    The issue is PAYLOAD. None of the numbers you list gives the payload of your specific truck. The payload number (3250) you originally gave is marketing fluff - applies to a very different truck than you have (read the fine print). You still haven't given us the payload (combined weight ...) number from the door jamb (not the window sticker) of your truck.

The 2021 seems to have some capacities that are higher than the 2020, but most of us still think that you will not have enough payload for the trailer because you didn't get the Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP). One of the contributors to this thread is pulling a 260RD with an F150, but he has HDPP.
    In another post he updated his payload to 1772 which sounds more accurate.

CMeth, I can't speak for anyone else, but it's tough to give you real world towing advice without seeing the actual numbers for myself. Would it be possible for you to take and upload a few photos of your door jamb stickers and window sticker? Payload stickers look like this can be found on the interior frame of your driver's door.

I will say, as goducks has worked out for you, there is no way you can tow the 260RD. That said, with a correctly configured WDH you can tow a wide variety of travel trailers safely and securely.
    2020 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew 3.5L V6 EcoBoost
    2021 Grand Design 22MLE Imagine XLS
    Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMeth54 View Post
    I did list my payload in yesterday's post. it is 1772, so it looks like I will not be going 5th wheel. What would my tow hitch tongue weight limit be?
    Payload is still your limiting factor. The listed hitch weight for GD models is very...optimistic. It does not include batteries or LP tanks and is usually a little short of the actual production weight anyway. For towing, tongue weight should be between 10% and 15% of your loaded trailer weight. For a semi-realistic scenario we'll use the GVWR of 7495 lbs. for the 2500RL. 13.5% of 7495 is 1012 lbs. Add 100 lbs. for the weight distributing hitch and you're at 1112 lbs. That would leave you 660 lbs. for passengers and cargo in the truck.

Now will you ever actually have a tongue weight at that number? Depends what you bring and how you load. But that's an example of what you should be prepared for as you do your planning.

One other number that you should check is the sticker on your actual hitch receiver. It will list the bumper pull and WDH weight rating. I'm guessing even without max tow that you still have a class iv receiver which will have no problem with those numbers, but still good to check.
    2020 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew 3.5L V6 EcoBoost
    2021 Grand Design 22MLE Imagine XLS
    Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did list my payload in yesterday's post. it is 1772, so it looks like I will not be going 5th wheel. What would my tow hitch tongue weight limit be?
    Sorry about that, somehow I missed it. 1772 is in the ballpark I expected and yes, you need to look at travel trailers. There's plenty info out there on stability issues, what I know for sure is that you need the proper hitch and hitch settings. Good luck.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highly unlikely you'll load your TT to the GVWR but it's a safe place to start
    7500 lbs would be max loaded weight. The recommended tongue weight is between 10-15% of the loaded TT.
    So 750-1125 lbs. Figure 12.5% for planning purposes.
    That puts the loaded TW at 937.5 lbs.
    Lets figure 900 since you won't be towing at max GVWR of the TT,
    1772-900 lbs is 872 lbs. Plenty for passengers and some gear.
    You'll want a good WDH like an;

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store...-control-hitch

or

https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/produc...000_TW,BXW1050

Read you trucks manual about setting up the weight distribution hitch. If the dealer sets it up as part of the deal you'll probably need to re-do it in some form.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Highly unlikely you'll load your TT to the GVWR but it's a safe place to start
    7500 lbs would be max loaded weight. The recommended tongue weight is between 10-15% of the loaded TT.
    So 750-1125 lbs. Figure 12.5% for planning purposes.
    That puts the loaded TW at 937.5 lbs.
    Lets figure 900 since you won't be towing at max GVWR of the TT,
    1772-900 lbs is 872 lbs. Plenty for passengers and some gear.
    You'll want a good WDH like an;

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store...-control-hitch

or

https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/produc...000_TW,BXW1050

Read you trucks manual about setting up the weight distribution hitch. If the dealer sets it up as part of the deal you'll probably need to re-do it in some form.

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. I just spent most of the afternoon reading over the Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide that I downloaded off the internet. I learned a lot from that as well. I'm a little disappointed in myself for not finding out this info before buying my truck (although I do love my truck). The wife and I really like that 260RD so it's going to be difficult to find a TT that will compare.

Cheers!!

Chuck

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. I just spent most of the afternoon reading over the Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide that I downloaded off the internet. I learned a lot from that as well. I'm a little disappointed in myself for not finding out this info before buying my truck (although I do love my truck). The wife and I really like that 260RD so it's going to be difficult to find a TT that will compare.

Cheers!!

Chuck
    Chuck,
    I stayed out of this "discussion" but I will say this. I spent 15 years in my 2500HD Duramax. It pulled my 26' Coachman very well as it did all the different boats I've owned. I drove that 2500 every day because it was how I made my living. After 300K miles i traded in on the 1500. The everyday ride is so much better. I live in my truck. I chose the 1500 and I'm glad I did. My wife and I wanted a TT and so we chose a model that would fit our TV not the other way round. I can't (and won't) speak for anyone else on this Forum but I fully know what I want in both a TT and a TV. Until you know, you will be second guessing the whole time.

Good luck.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    Chuck,
    I stayed out of this "discussion" but I will say this. I spent 15 years in my 2500HD Duramax. It pulled my 26' Coachman very well as it did all the different boats I've owned. I drove that 2500 every day because it was how I made my living. After 300K miles i traded in on the 1500. The everyday ride is so much better. I live in my truck. I chose the 1500 and I'm glad I did. My wife and I wanted a TT and so we chose a model that would fit our TV not the other way round. I can't (and won't) speak for anyone else on this Forum but I fully know what I want in both a TT and a TV. Until you know, you will be second guessing the whole time.

Good luck.
    I hear ya, Capt Bob. I really love my new F-150 so no remorse there. It is a smooth riding truck and has a lot of extras. Now my search is for the perfect TT to match up!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear ya, Capt Bob. I really love my new F-150 so no remorse there. It is a smooth riding truck and has a lot of extras. Now my search is for the perfect TT to match up!!
    The good news is the F-150 is a really versatile truck and the 3.5 EcoBoost is an absolute beast. You’re going to have a lot of great TT floor plans to choose from.

Will it be just you and your wife? Kids? Grandkids? What kinds of trips are you hoping to take?

Might be worth starting a separate thread - I’m sure you’d get lots of recommendations and some good pros and cons for different models.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Trails View Post
    The good news is the F-150 is a really versatile truck and the 3.5 EcoBoost is an absolute beast. You’re going to have a lot of great TT floor plans to choose from.

Will it be just you and your wife? Kids? Grandkids? What kinds of trips are you hoping to take?

Might be worth starting a separate thread - I’m sure you’d get lots of recommendations and some good pros and cons for different models.
    He will get a ton of comments saying he will be overloaded with anything over 22 feet.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Trails View Post

Just me and the wife. We're retired and living in the Pacific Northwest. We want to travel as much of the U.S. as possible. We will probably be traveling south for at least a month or two in the winter time, so we want the TT to be as comfy as possible. We really like the GD trailers the best and the 2500RL is probably the one we will end up with. Even though I can't tow a 5th wheel, I'm looking forward to using all these towing options that my truck came with. I wouldn't have been able to use them with the 5th wheel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345