User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing 260rd with 1/2 ton

How well does your 1/2 ton tow 260rd. Are you over weight ?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 273MK which is identical in weight to the 260RD, and I tow it with a '05 Dodge CTD. I personally can't imagine doing a lot of traveling with a 1/2 ton gasser truck.

While the 150 Series are marketed as 1/2 ton capable, it just seems this is really stretching it. Granted, it depends on the type of camping/traveling you will be doing. If it's just short weekend trips on fairly level terrain, I think it is doable. Maybe others who actually pull with a 1/2 ton truck will offer a more positive opinion.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I have a 273MK which is identical in weight to the 260RD, and I tow it with a '05 Dodge CTD. I personally can't imagine doing a lot of traveling with a 1/2 ton gasser truck.

While the 150 Series are marketed as 1/2 ton capable, it just seems this is really stretching it. Granted, it depends on the type of camping/traveling you will be doing. If it's just short weekend trips on fairly level terrain, I think it is doable. Maybe others who actually pull with a 1/2 ton truck will offer a more positive opinion.
    If you do your due diligence it can be done with a safe and confident tow vehicle but you will find your choices are somewhat limited. IMHO there is only one 1/2 ton PU that can be considered. It is the Ford F150 with HDPP option. I briefly considered the Nissan Titan. I understand it has a higher payload rating as well but never delved further into it because They weren't very forthcoming with information and I had a love / hate relationship with a Frontier I owned before. The HDPP will give you enough structural and chassis upgrades along with payload that you aren't at or over limitations. Also you would need to be selective which trailer you consider as well as how it would be loaded. To further explain I wasn't wanting a 3/4 ton truck, actually any pick up truck but I was at the limits of towing with my last travel trailer and SUV so I got the 1/2 ton pick up that would give me the most capability. After research on trucks and shopping I was kind of devastated I couldn't even consider the then new Ram 1/2 ton. Also it needs to be noted if you start considering higher trim levels and options you loose payload, that's the trade-off. To address Dryfly's comment on type of travel I have over 11,500 miles clocked in a year and half. My trips have been 500 to 3000 miles of towing through flatter coastal areas and Appalachian mountain terrain. See my signature below.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-29-2020 at 05:56 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Silverado 1500 with a payload sticker at 1887 lbs The truck does have air bags and e rated tires. I would also do a gear change to 4.10 and upgrade cooling system and trans cooler. I am guessing ready to camp I would be at around 2300-2600 lbs . Yes I know you should not go over the sticker weight but I think the truck could handle lt well. There are a lot of 2500 pulling 5th wheels that are a lot more over weight then that. Yes I know there is a big deference between a 1500 and 2500 being over weight. Wicked Ace what are your weights ready to camp ?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wicked Ace what are your weights ready to camp ?
    If I go fully loaded anticipating some boondocking, so the generator is in the bed I'm about 5900# truck weight and 8700# trailer weight with the water tank at 1/3. This puts my pin weight at the higher end of 1525 -1575# and still leaves at least 300# to play with. Unloaded the truck with a full tank of gas, my dog, a cooler, the AUH and me is at 2030# of usable payload (yellow sticker 2461#). I know I'll be over payload long before GCWR so I don't concern myself with it. My truck with HDPP has a stronger rear axle with heavier springs and a corresponding higher weight rating on them so they aren't a concern.
    The trip last October / November I had everything but the kitchen sink and while I noticed I was loaded, in fact more so than I had done previously, it still was very manageable and an easy drive. I do try to keep a comfortable cushion on payload to insure I'm not overextending myself or the rig overall. We have differing thoughts on how to go about it. Just because someone else does it doesn't give leave for me to be in the wrong.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you are overweight in al but the most exceptional cases. See posts from Wicked Ace...
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Ace. I have heard that when they rate these 1/2 ton truck they have p rated tires on them , If they rated them with e rated tires the payload would go up a lot. Do you know if you can get a truck rerated for payload.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I would be better off looking at another bumper pull. I also like the 2600rb

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Ace. I have heard that when they rate these 1/2 ton truck they have p rated tires on them , If they rated them with e rated tires the payload would go up a lot. Do you know if you can get a truck rerated for payload.
    I have read you could but it's probably easier and cheaper to get a new truck. It's a lot more than tires that go into factoring a payload rating.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2012 GMC 1500 4x4 Z71, 3.42, 5.3l, Timbrens, 10 ply tires. I have towed my 2020 260RD with it locally, the longest trip being about 60 miles. It will handle that trip, but I sure wouldn't want to go long haul with it. Purchased a 2018 Ram 2500 CTD this summer, have it in storage for the winter, but this will be my tow vehicle come retirement time for longer trips.
    2018 Ram 2500 CTD
    2020 Reflection 260RD

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast