User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct. But reading the California regs, you're allowed to tow up to 15k (with Restriction 41 permit). Above that you're into non-commercial class A. BUT what about if you're trailer is 14k and the GVWR of your truck is 14k? That would be 28k GCVWR. Folks have stated the feds say that any combination over 26k lbs puts you into commercial DL. Does that apply since this is for recreation and not for paid commercial use?

Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    You don't need a Non-Commercial class a as long as you don't exceed the weights...

5vers is 15k travel trailers is 10k. Exceptions are made for farmers.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Correct. But reading the California regs, you're allowed to tow up to 15k (with Restriction 41 permit). Above that you're into non-commercial class A. BUT what about if you're trailer is 14k and the GVWR of your truck is 14k? That would be 28k GCVWR. Folks have stated the feds say that any combination over 26k lbs puts you into commercial DL. Does that apply since this is for recreation and not for paid commercial use?
    No such rule. (I’m at actual 29,000+) (GCVWR of 34,000)
    Last edited by JCR GD; 12-30-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I mentioned it is the 26k lbs GCVWR gets bandied about every time the subject of license classes gets brought up. And in California the regs show it's the weight of the tow vehicle up to 26k lbs for a 2 axle vehicle and the weight of the trailer (up to 15k lbs for a fifth wheel) that determines your DL class.

So in your case your fifth wheel has a GVWR of 20k and an actual weight of 15k lbs. Does that mean you have a class A non-commercial DL?

Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    No such rule. (I’m at actual 29,000+) (GCVWR of 34,000)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I mentioned it is the 26k lbs GCVWR gets bandied about every time the subject of license classes gets brought up. And in California the regs show it's the weight of the tow vehicle up to 26k lbs for a 2 axle vehicle and the weight of the trailer (up to 15k lbs for a fifth wheel) that determines your DL class.

So in your case your fifth wheel has a GVWR of 20k and an actual weight of 15k lbs. Does that mean you have a class A non-commercial DL?
    The 26,000 means nothing in the realm of pickups and RV trailers. For some reason peeps get stuck on that 26,000 thing not sure why (probably cuz some of the wording in the CA lic info is about as clear as mud.) If the 5th wheel trailer GVWR is over 15,000 you have to have at least a Non-commercial class A License. (period) And yes. I have a Non-commercial class A

My Trailer GVWR is 20,000 and it weighs in right at 20,000 (with Fiat in the garage.)
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right in line with what I've concluded. It's just I keep reading about the 26k limit. It's like the whole yellow payload sticker thing. From what I've read from folks who've been actually inspected, the inspector looks at the load ratings of the axles and tires, not the yellow payload sticker, which is an arbitrary rating put on by Ford to conform with tax and maybe license regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    The 26,000 means nothing in the realm of pickups and RV trailers. For some reason peeps get stuck on that 26,000 thing not sure why (probably cuz some of the wording in the CA lic info is about as clear as mud.) If the 5th wheel trailer GVWR is over 15,000 you have to have at least a Non-commercial class A License. (period) And yes. I have a Non-commercial class A

My Trailer GVWR is 20,000 and it weighs in right at 20,000 (with Fiat in the garage.)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right in line with what I've concluded. It's just I keep reading about the 26k limit. It's like the whole yellow payload sticker thing. From what I've read from folks who've been actually inspected, the inspector looks at the load ratings of the axles and tires, not the yellow payload sticker, which is an arbitrary rating put on by Ford to conform with tax and maybe license regulations.
    In CA, the 26k limit is for a motorized home.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I’ll stop complaining about my $108 Texas registration cost for my truck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a class a commercial license with every endorsement you can get. A left over from a previous career but I have maintained it because it was a pita to get and expensive. I haven’t worried much about licensing and I don’t have to go through scales with the fifth wheel. My truck is a srw and is a 2017 $860 this year in California $1000 when it was new. This State gets you everywhere and don’t get me started on the 60 cents a gallon “gas” tax that voters allegedly voted for. The square weight sticker someone was writing about is what you would get when hauling for hire. The weight sticker has a number that corresponds with the maximum weight you are registered to carry. You will see the square sticker with an 80 on it a lot on semis and it means 80,000 lbs. “Pick ups” absolutely have to go through the scales if they are hauling for hire. There are a lot of hot shot and car haulers out there that use 1 ton pick ups as the tractor and they are subject to commercial vehicle inspections and scales just like semis.
    Last edited by RSteele; 01-02-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    2019 Momentum 351m. 1200 watts solar, Victron Inverter/charger, Battery monitor, 150/100 solar charge controller, 3 170 ah Renogy LIPO batteries. 2017 Ram 3500 SRW SB wireless 1 airbags. Reese Gooseball, B&W turnover ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For years when I was towing my big toy hauler, somewhere I got the idea that the (CA.) non commercial class A was required even if the 5th wheel was RATED above 15,000lbs, not just weighing over 15,000.
    Brian and Lori
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've read, the 26,000 lbs limit is in effect for Texas Residents, if the GCVWR of the Truck and Trailer exceed 26,000 lbs, you need a non-CDL Drivers License in Texas.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast